Rooting the Arc

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I've noticed the threads over at XDA confirming that the Arc can now be rooted, but reading through the methods, it seems to indicate that you can only do it after SE have unlocked your bootloader for you? Did i read this right?

If not i'll have to keep waiting as mine isn't carrier unlocked so i cant unlock the bootloader via the SE website

Richard Devine

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried out the gingerbreak apk yet to achieve root?

Edit: The Gingerbreak APK does indeed work, i now have superuser on my Arc :D Bloatware be gone and now i can finally get titanium backup back on there and restore me some angry birds!

Last edited:

Blake .l

May 6, 2011
Visit site
Anyone on the latest firmware which is .62 cant root.. when I got my arc S I was at the newest firmware, I had to downgrade to .42 using flash tool then root (I used Super Oneclick 2.2) then I upgrade back to .62 via pc companion and all is fine...

seklakingboy

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
I've noticed the threads over at XDA confirming that the Arc can now be rooted, but reading through the methods, it seems to indicate that you can only do it after SE have unlocked your bootloader for you? Did i read this right?

If not i'll have to keep waiting as mine isn't carrier unlocked so i cant unlock the bootloader via the SE website

sandroidnz

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
Iam also wondering the same after becoming a member on this site.Do only very few people use the arcs?Mine is a 2011 model.I believe one of the main problems with this particular model is the phone memory.I had to do away with many apps which I liked just to free up the memory.One other option is to root the device but iam considered as a noob and a dummy on xda forum.There are people who try to help but do not give proper guidance.If there is anyone here who can help I will be grateful.

Sent from my LT15i using Android Central Forums

Daniel blankley

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
Your gonna love this

I'm another rookie that is thinking about rooting, and before you sigh and curse my existance,

ive had my beloved arc s for nearly 2 years and we all remember the 4.0 release. I nearly wet myself at the time. and i looked at rooting then to run the beta, so i know the phone is rootable, and in fact i think i tried once and very nearly turned it into a paperweight.

I'm highly computer literate and have been for a long time but being an adult, working a sh*! job i have no time for real hobbies anymore, so i have fallen behind a lot (ooo auto-save, very swish)

buuurt i know what linux, cmd blah blah are and i know how computers work, and this brings me to the main point. 6 hours after i updated (auto-save again, already?) i wanted to burn the phone. i hate it. with a passion, hence the attempting to put it back to 2.3 in the past, hence the near masonry.

and now due to wanting to cheat a game (poor reason but coupled with ics being dogfoul) i decided to look into it again. Now i'm guessing insurance companies don't like rooted phones? this being my main concern. paying 7 quid a month for a service i can't use. personally im not to bothered if i break it, its old and battered and my contract is nearly up, however if i'm successful i can probably keep it for another year and get a sim only plan til 4g is a reasonable price, so rooting would actually make financial sense!

the thing is if i root my phone, and it survives, and i find a copy of 2.3 and go back to that lightening fast but not so pretty system, and i decide to get rid of things ill never need (like say 3d camera or even facebook as i don't use it and it's massive), would i have to go through the whole secret again to get them back? having said that anyone with a brain would make a backup first. HINT TO ANYONE WANTING TO ROOT, BACK UP ANYTHING YOU DELETE, YOU MAY NEED IT.

the next thing is how would you go about rooting? just looking for a hex reader that wasn't a virus is a massive headache! and the last place i want malware is in the middle of a delicate procedure.

well i've managed to convince myself, bugger it here goes nothin'!

ill update this thread with a specific how to and how it goes, and don't worry! its easy!

if however your phone doesnt take 20 minutes to open contacts, and actually lights up and tells you who's calling, it's really not worth the risk. No really, if you don't know what "GLI" is without google's help, your trip should end here. anyway, onwards and upwards!

Mehdie Joze

Jun 29, 2016
Visit site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21