Coby Kyros MID-7022 mini-review

Smalls

Sep 24, 2010
mygamingnet.co.cc
Hey guys, just thought I would share this with you. I recently ordered the Coby Kyros MID-7022 tablet and got it in the mail this Monday. For $180, it is a really good tablet.

Here are the specs:
Android OS: 2.3.3
CPU: Telechips Cortex A8 1GHz
RAM: 512 MB
Screen size: 7-inch 800 x 480 (WVGA)
Screen type: Capacitive (Yes, multi-touch)
Camera: Front facing 0.3 MP
Video Output: HDMI
Storage Space: 4 GB NAND
Expandable storage: Up to 32 GB microSD

In addition to the specs, you can also plug in a keyboard or a mouse through the USB port.

It runs stock Gingerbread without the Android Market, but installing the Market is simple. There are issues when it comes to downloading every app, but if you have an Android phone... you can back up a "non paid" app and install it that way. It performs really well. The box says that Flash is not capable, but trust me... It works and it runs nicely (Just get the APK).

My only complaints about the device is that the battery life isn't too grand... If you use it constantly. It will wake up from sleep at times. The way the Back/Menu/Home buttons are postitioned, take time to get used to.

That brings up another thing, I'm already having to send mine in for a replacement. The Menu/Back button are not responding anymore. Hopefully, this was just a defective device and not a huge problem for everybody who has it.

Overall, for $180 this a good tablet. I wouldn't say it's the best, but it has really impressed me.

Links:
Official Coby Product Page
Best Buy Product Page

I will post more later when I get home tonight.

Reactions: JerryScript

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I just got one yesterday, and I like it. Can't beat the price for a capacitive touchscreen with gingerbread! Got it at ToysRUs for $179+tax, less than $200 out the door.

I of course had already researched it before purchasing it, so I was prepared when I got home to make it mine. It's one of the easiest devices to root, you can use the phone's built in update system to do a dump of the stock recovery for a backup, flash ClockWorkMod, and root. I was rooted in no time flat. I played with it a bit, then booted into CWM, did a nandroid, then installed Fun's port of CM7, gapps, NextFlix, and the Flash Player. I made my signature GreenMachineTheme at UOT Kitchen, and I'm very happy with the results!

Pros:
-Capacitive touchscreen for less than $200
-Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread out of the box
-1ghz processor
-Internal memory and an internal SDCard, as well as an external slot for another SDCard (tons of space)
-Very solid and well built, no creaky plastic or thin metal body
-HDMI output
-Front facing camera for video chat

Cons
-Short battery life (the curse of Android)
-No GPS or 3/4G
-No bluetooth (but external bluetooth dongles reportedly work, including the mini)
-No Android Market Place, but it is easily added, and it comes with AppsLib, plus there's Amazon
-WiFi is a bit buggy, keeps waking the tablet up, but an app fixes that
-Heavy

I like the 7" size so far, not sure if I would want to hold something larger. All in all, an excellent entry level tablet at a great price!

Giagejoe

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been playing with the Coby 7022 for about a week. It has been very easy to use and I agree with all the info in the reviews. I really like it but I want VPN support and it just doesn't have it. From what I can figure out the source for the android build is not available so no one has been able to provide the need modules for VPN. Therefore for my needs it just won't work. I'll be returning it to the store.

Next I'm going to try out the Filemate Identity. The specs are very similar to the Coby 7022 except the Identity comes with 8GB of internal memory (Coby is 4), the Identity contains a GPS, and the Identity comes with Android Market pre-loaded (benefit of having the GPS and getting certified). On the downside, the Identity has Froyo (Coby has Gingerbread) and the Identity has almost no internet following (Coby has a moderately good community for info). The Identity is really a rebranding of the Enspert Identity E201 so I'm hoping I can find info for that as needed.

The prices are the same right now (Identity at Walmart for $177). The Identity seems to be more usable out of the box and if VPN is provided (or I can at least get it to work) then it will be worth it. I just hope it has as good of build quality and screen as the Coby. The Coby 7022 seems like a very nice 7" tablet but I just can't get it to do what I need it to do.

JerryScript

Daydream Believer
Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Quick update to my above post:

After two months, I'm still liking my Coby. I ended up removing CM for now due to video issues, went back to my stock backup.

I added the market and tweaked the build.prop setting. I renamed various system apps which are not used due to lack of hardware, example renamed telephony.apk to telephony.apk.bak This improved my battery life to the point I get up to 4 hours standby combined with 4-5 hours of use for a total time off charge of close to 8 hours. I've tried various tablet centered launchers from the market, but non of them outperform gingerbread based launchers, which I'm happy to stick with for now.

I like it so much, I'm getting one for my niece for xmas, along with one of the keyboard cases so she can have here own "transformer". ;)

Guedan

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
Quick update to my above post:

After two months, I'm still liking my Coby. I ended up removing CM for now due to video issues, went back to my stock backup.

I added the market and tweaked the build.prop setting. I renamed various system apps which are not used due to lack of hardware, example renamed telephony.apk to telephony.apk.bak This improved my battery life to the point I get up to 4 hours standby combined with 4-5 hours of use for a total time off charge of close to 8 hours. I've tried various tablet centered launchers from the market, but non of them outperform gingerbread based launchers, which I'm happy to stick with for now.

I like it so much, I'm getting one for my niece for xmas, along with one of the keyboard cases so she can have here own "transformer". ;)

Hi JerryScript.

I'm buying one of these Coby Kyros for myself and really liked what you just said. This improvement in battery time is for sure a great thing. So, can you tell some more system apps that you find not to be usefull and have thus renamed to avoid the batery drain. I was going to PM you, but thought that this information being out in the comments would be usefull for a lot more users.

Anyone else that know about this things feel free to speak out too, I'm a total noob in the android tablet's world, and any information would be very appreciated. (Sorry for any english mistakes :confused:)

Shawn0r

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I've been playing with the Coby 7022 for about a week. It has been very easy to use and I agree with all the info in the reviews. I really like it but I want VPN support and it just doesn't have it. From what I can figure out the source for the android build is not available so no one has been able to provide the need modules for VPN. Therefore for my needs it just won't work. I'll be returning it to the store.

Next I'm going to try out the Filemate Identity. The specs are very similar to the Coby 7022 except the Identity comes with 8GB of internal memory (Coby is 4), the Identity contains a GPS, and the Identity comes with Android Market pre-loaded (benefit of having the GPS and getting certified). On the downside, the Identity has Froyo (Coby has Gingerbread) and the Identity has almost no internet following (Coby has a moderately good community for info). The Identity is really a rebranding of the Enspert Identity E201 so I'm hoping I can find info for that as needed.

The prices are the same right now (Identity at Walmart for $177). The Identity seems to be more usable out of the box and if VPN is provided (or I can at least get it to work) then it will be worth it. I just hope it has as good of build quality and screen as the Coby. The Coby 7022 seems like a very nice 7" tablet but I just can't get it to do what I need it to do.

Any luck rooting the Filemate Identity? I've heard androot is supposed to work but doesn't for me. Any help is much appreciated! :cool:

coxfarm

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for posting this it was a great help! Just have one question. What APK for the flash did you install and did you root? What would you use to root this tablet? I have noticed that not all the apps will work on this device. How can i find out why they are incompatible?

Thanks for all your help. I am a programmer but new to the tablet and am grateful for you insite!

coxfarm

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for posting this and starting this thread. I have successfully installed the Market (older version than is on my phone) but it is working ok. Some apps i can't see and when i look online it says that it is incompatible with my device. Is there a way to find out why? ALSO what flash app did you install? I would like flash on my tablet. One more thing.... Did you root your tablet, I would like to root mine, but not sure which app to use, can you help with that?

thank you, I am new to tablets and excited about the possiblities!

Reactions: plyhky31

borosky

Feb 28, 2012
Visit site
hello all

i ve been running into some problems with my kyros 7022.

i installed CM7 but found it not good enough.

so i wanted to load something from KTZ, but turns out i need to go back to stock in order to load another rom.

and this is where im stuck

could you share your backup file? (if they dont containt any personal information)

i'd be even more grateful if you could guide me to a faq on how to get form cm7 to stock (i ve been searching the internet for a while now, but am so far unsuccessful)

thanks in advance for all help

jreink01

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I just purchased the Coby MID 7022. I managed to get the google market on it (via a you tube video). But when I go to install some apps, about 95% of them same not compatible. Is anyone else having this problem and is there any fix for it?? Thanks for your help.

jreink01

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a update. Ive discovered when I try to open AppsLib, it also says app not compatible with my device. This is weird since this app came with the tablet. Also, if I decide to install CWM, how do I get to it after I turn it off?? On my phone, I usually push power, up and down volume buttons, but this has no up and down volue buttons on the side of the device, just on screen ones??

Momdroid626

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi, New to this site and would appreciate some help. I have the same Mid 7022 but read that the OS cannot be upgraded. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

topoestuidos

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
someone help me with this, I have a coby MID7022, I run an application called "FW TOOL" and from there it does not work the touch, e reset and nothing. the update and nothing. help ..

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2