Custom ROM

sconrad308

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
OK. So I bought a cheap little 7" tablet from Big Lots. It already has root access, and I'm thinking about putting a custom ROM on it. It currently is running 4.0 ICS but would like some of the features from 4.1 namely Google Now. Where could I possibly find a custom rom for a 7" tablet?

Thanks.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am gonna bug you now with questions.

7 or 10 inch? ICS? Which model? A lot of those are the same (uniden, polaroid, and a few others) and are actually made by southern telecom..

How happy are you so far?
Do you have the market?

sconrad308

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Ask away, I will try and help.

It is a 7" Uniden running 4.0.4 OS. It is made by Southern Telecom. I originally purchased it to just play with and see if I would like a better 7" tablet. I've been away from Android for several years but will be getting a phone through my company and it will probably be an Android so I figured I would start playing a little bit to see what all changes there are since my last time in the droid pool. I have to tell you, I like android before, but now it is even better and keeps improving from what I can tell.

I am happy, I paid $65.00 so I didn't hold out much in the way of expectations, but it has performed better than I thought especially for how cheap it is.

I do have the Google Play store but I had to kind of backdoor into it because the site the phone kept sending me to wasn't working. However, I did find some good info and just saved the .apk files to the SD card and went that way. I have only found a few apps that won't load because they aren't compatible with my tablet. I have several games, the kindle app and several others just to see what they are like. I'm now wanting to flash a custom ROM because I haven't ever done that before and it doesn't matter if I brick it since I didn't pay much for it. I will be buying me another better 7" tablet anyway, probably the Nexus 7. This one will just be my test bed for everything toy.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I am looking at a cheap one just for an E Reader with some extras in there. I figured that I would have to force the playstore in. Freaktab pretty much taught me that. I don't want much out of the tablet like I said.

What about videos? I have a few youtube like videos that I frequently refer to an play. Do you have issues with stuff like that?

sconrad308

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I am looking at a cheap one just for an E Reader with some extras in there. I figured that I would have to force the playstore in. Freaktab pretty much taught me that. I don't want much out of the tablet like I said.

What about videos? I have a few youtube like videos that I frequently refer to an play. Do you have issues with stuff like that?

I think this tablet would probably suit you pretty well for what you are wanting. I have not had any problems with YouTube or any other videos for that matter. I will tell you that Chrome doesn't seem to want to work, it will download but when you try and open it, it will crash immediately. However, Firefox works great but I do wish that chrome worked.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the info.

I am not really married to any browser, have three on my phone, but the convenience of chrome would be nice.

Thanks again. How did you make out with the roms?

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

sconrad308

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I'm not married to one, but I prefer Chrome most of the time.

I haven't even started yet. Been busy at work and just haven't started to search for one yet.

Thanks for the info.

I am not really married to any browser, have three on my phone, but the convenience of chrome would be nice.

Thanks again. How did you make out with the roms?

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the input again. I went with the 10" from Polaroid. I think it was model 104C. Seemed like good bang for the buck, and the in-laws had some kind of discount from Big lots so it came in at around 110 + 10 for a 16GB sdcard.

I didnt see too much on how to root it so that might be an adventure, but it seems like there is a pretty reliable way to get the market on there. I guess I need to start finding some digital copies of books....