1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Lightbulb Aluratek 8" Cinepad AT108F Root?

Hey y'all... so I, like others, got by an online Chinese store "Hootablet.com" (which has FINALLY been taken down) due to all the scam complaints. Fortunately, I got a full refund after putting in a lot of work and effort into showing PayPal these "people" were MAJOR scammers!

After that battle, I decided to stay within the good ole US of A. I purchased a FABULOUS tablet from J&R and got it TODAY via UPS. It's an . The specs are BETTER then that of the Nexus 7. However, I can't seem to find a way to root this beauty. I've contacted Aluratek (they're in CALIFORNIA!!!!) to find out the actual chipset of it as the processor is an Amlogic A9 Cortex but the low level tech didn't know so he had to engage a Product Manager who, due to the holidays, wasn't in the office.

So, I'm asking any of you fine people if you know 1) if they're a root to this bad girl and/or 2) if you at least know the chipset of it? While I understand it's processor is an Amlogic A9, I also know that the Rockchip uses the A9 architecture as well so, I'm confused on which thread to research. I don't need a custom rom but having root is absolutely a must.

Like I said, I just got "her" today so I would <3 to root her as quickly as possible! My geekness is getting totally antsy!

PS - YES! It does come STANDARD with the Google Play Store! Here's proof (a snapshot from my mobile of the main screen of the Play Store. I don't know how to to a screenshot within the tablet yet as i've only had it 5 hours!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Aluratek 8" Cinepad AT108F Root?-img_20121228_195543.jpg  

Default Re: Aluratek 8" Cinepad AT108F Root?

I read a comment somewhere that this tablet when shipped with Android 4.04 don't have google play but with 4.03 did. Your purchase looks fairly recent - can you tell me which version of Android came with the product you pictured above? Thx.....
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Sure thing. It's 4.0.4.
    Have you seen anything regarding a root for this little power house?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Regetti View Post
    I read a comment somewhere that this tablet when shipped with Android 4.04 don't have google play but with 4.03 did. Your purchase looks fairly recent - can you tell me which version of Android came with the product you pictured above? Thx.....

I do not see better specs than the nexus 7. Do not even know if that CPU is Dual Core. Nexus uses a quad core A9 and much better GPU.

I thought rooting any android was pretty simple. Custom roms are another thing, but rooting was just a simple install of a root file on the device.

I take no responsibility however. Rooting will void warranty and can brick a device.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

You cite only ONE feature of the Nexus 7. This tablet has DUAL cams, SD card slot and a better IPS panel then the N7 (I've compared them both visually. I'm a web & graphic designer; the screen means EVERYTHING to me!). So, even if the CPU is dual or single core... it's still peppy enough to handle Android quite well.

As for your link, I'll check it out. I'm not sure if that will work or not. I've tried a few of the single click apps (zRoot and SuperOneClick) that didn't do squat. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    I do not see better specs than the nexus 7. Do not even know if that CPU is Dual Core. Nexus uses a quad core A9 and much better GPU.
    I thought rooting any android was pretty simple. Custom roms are another thing, but rooting was just a simple install of a root file on the device.

I take no responsibility however. Rooting will void warranty and can brick a device.

I assume the CPU is DC but the N7 has a quad. For android that is really the most important factor with the experience. If its smooth enough, that is good. I am shocked that the screen is better than the N7 as it has some proprietary Asus tech that fully bonds the glass together. Most cheaper displays are only bonded around the edge. I would say that I would prefer the 8" over the size of a 7" for my personal tablet. I picked up a cheapy for my daughters that is a 7" and its smaller than I had envisioned. Great for my kids, but not for me.

Anyway, I was not trying to slam the tablet. But most of the specs of the N7 are better than the this. The battery is bigger on this one though, probably due to the slightly larger size. I would definitely say they are very comparable. Without using both I could not call a winner besides the N7 having probably a lot more support and accessories. Glad you are happy with it. Again, was not trying to make anyone mad.

I would be interested in this for myself as I mentioned. Could you do a battery test with wifi on and a streaming video and see how long it lasts? Just one movie will give an idea of how long it would last with continuous use. If not, thats fine. Just curious how long the battery will last as its 5000mAh.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Oh, I'm not mad... just surprised that's all. Though, the descriptor "better" is typically a matter of opinion and hardly ever fact, so I shouldn't be surprised at all. That said, you are INDEED correct. The N7 absolutely has more support and accessories.

7" is much too small for me as well. I'm a gal who types 115wpm (on a good day!) so the virtual keyboard simply isn't big enough for my speed. 8" is PERFECT but I couldn't get root on it so I returned it. Sadly, you sent me that link the day AFTER I sent it packing. Else, I would have been happy to give the tests a go for you.

I did purchase a Lenovo A2109 (9") and it should be here tomorrow. While the accessories side is still lacking, the support is not as Lenovo has a dedicated development forum ON the official Lenovo site! That's a first I've seen! The only thing I'm seeing on this tab that might be it's death sentence is the screen. While it's 1280x800, I understand the screen is NOT IPS (didn't know that until after I purchased it). We shall see!