Hisense Sero 7 Pro - Unboxing pictures (no video)

kernmal

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I am sad to report that due to a freak incident involving a screen door, my Sero 7 Pro did not survive a 4 foot drop on to concrete. The glass shattered in one corner. The display still works and it still responds to touch.

A case may have made a difference. I had been watching Amazon to see what kind of case options we would have.

I've owned several tablets and phones, this is the first time that anything like this has happened to me. Too bad, I've become very fond of this tablet in the last week

Anyone know what Walmart's extra coverage plan includes? Is it just an extended warranty?

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
The warranty card I have says broken screens are covered.
Mentions accidentally dropping your tablet being covered also.

I am sad to report that due to a freak incident involving a screen door, my Sero 7 Pro did not survive a 4 foot drop on to concrete. The glass shattered in one corner. The display still works and it still responds to touch.

A case may have made a difference. I had been watching Amazon to see what kind of case options we would have.

I've owned several tablets and phones, this is the first time that anything like this has happened to me. Too bad, I've become very fond of this tablet in the last week

Anyone know what Walmart's extra coverage plan includes? Is it just an extended warranty?

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Picked up the Sero 7 Pro a few days ago and so far I am really liking this tablet. My Walmart also had no clue they even had the device they have them locked in the cabinet not even on display I had to point it out to the sales clerk and wait for her to find the keys to check if it was the pro. My Walmart had 6 of them and they were all the Pro model. I also have a Nexus 7 and have to say the S7 compares very well to the N7. I was not sure if I would keep the S7 but after a few days of using it just the HDMI out feature is reason enough for me to keep it. I loaded a 32 Gig card in mine which it saw with no issue I loaded up all mu music on it. Bluetooth works great I really think for 150 bucks you can't find a more feature filled 7 inch android tablet. I tested hooking it up to my 55 Samsung LED TV and used my Logitech K400r USB wireless keyboard/track pad to control the S7 via OTG from across the room it worked great browsing the web and playing Angry Birds on the 55 Inch TV was a blast. Bottom line if your in the market for a 7 inch android tablet you would be foolish not to give the S7 a try. Yes the reliability of the brand is still in question but so far so good the S7 has all the features that I wanted that my Nexus 7 is lacking. The only thing so far I don't like about the S7 is the silly screen capture button that Hisense added I can do without that feature I like others have hit this many times resulting in a few unwanted screen shots that I have to delete it would also have been nice if the tablet was a little thinner and lighter but for 150 it's hard to complain.

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
The only thing about that link is the info is wrong for my local Walmart. It states "not carried in your local store". I was just there today, they have at least 10 Sero Pro's locked up in a glass case in plain view

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Anyone tried the HDMI out to a flat screen? When I hooked my Pro up the screen went crazy, jumping between apps and taking random screen shots. unusable.

MarkFL88

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Anyone tried the HDMI out to a flat screen? When I hooked my Pro up the screen went crazy, jumping between apps and taking random screen shots. unusable.

Worked fine for me but I did notice trying to type with the touch screen keyboard while hooked to HDMI the characters went crazy touching one letter resulted it a whole string of random characters filling the URL field on the browser the good news is using my Logitech keyboard/touch pad via OTG adapter the typing was perfect video though was fine no jumping between apps or random screen shots. Netflix via HDMI to my 55 Samsung looked good.

Sarahjohns

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Hry guys, I really want to buy one of these, but I guess they aren't available in Canadian Walmarts. Does anyone know if I can order one online or something? I can't really find a way for me to get one. :(
Thanks

hawleyrw

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
OK - I've been looking for an Android tablet, smaller preferred just to keep me current on Android.
I've got a couple of rooted/rom'd devices which run OK, but I just want to keep up with the Jones's using the real thing.
I checked out HP's new Slate 7 - just didn't have the screen I wanted. Friends have the N7 and love it. I was about to buy one, when I saw the announcement on the Sero. (this was the day of launch)., so headed out on the day after launch to pick one up.

Compared to my other devices, no contest, the Sero besting everything.
I loaded it up with everything I could think of (except my banking app, which isn't compatible with many Android tablets). I'm not a gamer, but loaded one just to test. Performed just fine.
Screen was stellar, touch was fine, speakers/volume just OK - not enough volume in my book, performance is great. I found the screen shot button a nuisance, but got used to it.
Screen rotation worked fine, charging and battery just fine. Mic worked great with Google Now, haptic feedback worked fine, LOVED the new swype like keyboard in the new version of the OS.
Liked the back of the case, though does give off a pretty strong synthetic rubber smell.
I use Nova launcher, so that takes the place of a lot of the new features of the OS, but I'm used it. Worked fine.
Addition of the rear cam nice, but I'd never use it.
Mini HDMI - again, wouldn't use it.
SD slot - great, but doesn't perform the function I want it to anymore - this vexed me, so did a lot of research to find that the newer versions of Android OS will not allow most apps to write to the card. This was a deal breaker #1 for me. Not that I'll find one better with an SD card slot that will work, it's now designed into the OS to limit this function. I do a bit of reading/research, etc and use Zinio and Kindle apps. Both take up a bit of room and the SD card didn't help, so stuck with the 8G internal.
From what I saw, everything I wanted in a tablet.
The other deal breaker for me is the likelihood that this cheaper unit might never be able to upgrade to newer versions of the OS
Since I want to keep up with the newer version(s) of the OS, this was what made me take it back.
Hated to part with it, but it went back this morning.
I'll miss it, but holding out for a new model Nexus 7 hopefully soon - the ability to upgrade to newer versions of the OS was a major reason I wanted to get into a smaller Android tab.
For me, even the std Nexus 7 today with 16G will give me the space I need to hold magazines and books with my 2 apps which let me do this.

Great buy, great value, just wasn't for me.

Cheers!

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hry guys, I really want to buy one of these, but I guess they aren't available in Canadian Walmarts. Does anyone know if I can order one online or something? I can't really find a way for me to get one. :(
Thanks

I did not see it on Walmart.ca. Do you have a USA buddy that could get one for you?

Powerplaygraphix

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
I missed the part in the JB update that they nixed the "apps2SD" functionality for everything other than videos and music. WOW that sucks. I just looked it up and that REALLY kills the value of any device that counts on micro SD/SD to add storage. That's one of the big advantages Android had over iOS devices, expandability. I've been using a Galaxy Nexus for the last year so it's had 32 GB of built in storage but all the devices I've been looking at were going to be the lower end of the built in memory counting on using micro SD cards from my old phone to bump them up. That really stinks. oh well.

Tadb123

May 15, 2013
Visit site
If storage is your no. 1 requirement, try the Asus MeMo Pad, 32gb internal plus ext. SD for another 32gb, it's $149 also. Avail. At Sam's Club.

Sent from my M470BSA using Android Central Forums

dougf4

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
First - once again, the same story repeated....Walmart Website says none in stock in my local store. I have visited in person every other day and called on the other days to check availability. Every associate answers with the same basic thing, "Huh?" Finally last evening, I ended up finding it for them in the shelf under the display case. Walmart, really shows some pretty gross ineptitude with their distribution system and keeping sales associates educated on products. OK, now onto the tablet itself....

Sero 7 Pro far exceeds this Nexus 7 owner's expectations. Period.

Every bit as fast and responsive as the Nexus 7. Every feature tested so far works fine. This includes: Bluetooth, GPS, OTG (accessing files through the mini-usb port - got blazing fast movie playback), "regular" video playback, SD card access, both cameras tested, streaming video including video, Hulu+ and netflix - smooth and crisp, wifi - very fast and rock solid.

I don't have my Nexus 7 here right now so it is impossible to do any side-by-side comparisons. I "thought" the colors on Hulu+ seemed just a tad soft. I downloaded an App called, "Screen Adjust" and I tweaked my reds up a few notches with the blues and greens trailing behind the reds. It does look better, but like I said, I can't say with certainty that it is any different than the N7.

The screen itself might just be a bit more of a fingerprint magnet than the N7. I cleaned it a while ago and will have to double check this from a nice clean screen Vs right out of the box with who knows what under the finger pressure.

Battery seems great. The time to fully charge it is significantly better than the N7. To me, Google bricked battery life on my N7 when they releases that first Jelly Bean update. I normally run Juice Defender Plus for a battery extender, but won't install it unless I think I need it. So far I have been beating the thing up and I am quite sure the battery is lasting much better than the N7. I am running it on the, "Balanced" mode setting.

Gaming - my go to game to test the Tegra3 is Riptide GT. Runs flawlessly, very smooth, crisp and responsive.

Build Quality seems great. Others have mentioned the SD cover door being loose and mine seems fine. I like the placement and separation of the volume and power buttons better on the Sero 7 Pro. They are more pronounced and easier to get my fingers onto. Like the rear grip surface too.

Cameras - Blah. Really pretty washy and unremarkable. I am one who actually does wish the cameras were better as I don't carry a smart phone w/camera. But, having the rear one beats N7 anyway. (If anyone has a suggestion on a good App that might compensate for the cameras, plz share)

Speaker Volume - Way Better! I can barely hear anything on the N7 Speakers. This has much more volume - kinda tinny, but at least I can hear it.

Will I keep this or return and wait on the supposed next Nexus? I'm really not 100% sure right now (But I am already 90+% sure that it is a keeper). Enhanced cameras to me actually might lead me to the Nexus product if the rear turns out to be a good 5mp or better. The 8gb internal storage initially had me spooked, but really with the OTG capability and sd card, I am probably OK with this. My guess is that unless the thing breaks badly over the next week or ten days, I am keeping this sucker. It just has way too many additional features to hand back when purchasing another Nexus product. The potential lack of updates is really only worrisome like 24+ months out. I'm not at all worried that Apps released between now and then will run just fine on this unit. I also did purchase the 24 month replacement plan which is refundable if I return it within 15 days.

If anyone out there is sitting on the fence, you owe it to yourself to at least take this home for a 15 day spin and check it out for yourself. Phenomenal value for the price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol