Hisense Sero 7 Pro - Unboxing pictures (no video)

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
On the quality issue, that would be expected considering the price difference. Sounds like it's the charging circuit that's heating up and because of the all-plastic case may not be easily conducted to the battery pack.

Here is the relevant internal shot (not by me):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wVq--E8wrIQ/UaPVioGmIPI/AAAAAAAAAD0/6GShAQoqlEo/s1600/taop47.jpg

All internal shots:

SERO 7 TABLET: Hisense Sero Pro Internals - Tear Down.

I understand the price thing.... I'm comparing quality of tablets that cost $129 vs $319. Except the specs, higher price doesn't always mean higher specs.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 4

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely love my Hisense Sero Pro, and went to Walmart to help my friend pick up a Sero 7 Pro. We got reverse sticker shock at the 129 price tag. I had sold it as a 149 tablet. But as hard as it was to find this thing when I picked mine up, I now see that it is strategically placed in the display case so that it and it can not be seen through the glass doors. No display, no pricing info, nothing. The only thing that shows they have the thing at all, is they now have Belkin - Hisense cases on display. What are they thinking! I thought it was funny when it was new, but it seems that Walmart is going out of its way to minimize sales of this tablet.

No wonder the Hisense gets the red-haired step child treatment here. Walmart treats it as an embarassement!

Sheesh.

When I first went the employees I talked to thought it was an e-reader.

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
My Sero 7 Pro barely gets warm, you might want to return it
The amount of heat generated will depend on the degree of battery discharge before charging it, how low you allow it to get before you charge it. Considering that some have no problem while others, even that Engadget review, mention it getting too hot to touch, it's either a case of different hardware being used for the charging circuitry, too high of a voltage coming out of some AC adapters, or radically different states of battery discharge levels when charge is initiated.

Another reason for the different charging temperatures being reported could be this - typical USB ports are current limited to 500mA (1/2 amp) while the special high current output USB ports on some PCs will output 3 amps. From one reference I've found on the net, your tablet's AC adapter outputs 2 amps. That's four times higher than the 1/2 amp coming out of a typical laptop or desktop PC's USB port. If you charge from that typical USB port, it will be artificially limiting the charge current to a maximum of 1/2 amp resulting in much lower heat generation in the charging circuit in the tablet, but taking more time to charge due to the much lower charging rate.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
The amount of heat generated will depend on the degree of battery discharge before charging it, how low you allow it to get before you charge it. Considering that some have no problem while others, even that Engadget review, mention it getting too hot to touch, it's either a case of different hardware being used for the charging circuitry, too high of a voltage coming out of some AC adapters, or radically different states of battery discharge levels when charge is initiated.

Another reason for the different charging temperatures being reported could be this - typical USB ports are current limited to 500mA (1/2 amp) while the special high current output USB ports on some PCs will output 3 amps. From one reference I've found on the net, your tablet's AC adapter outputs 2 amps. That's four times higher than the 1/2 amp coming out of a typical laptop or desktop PC's USB port. If you charge from that typical USB port, it will be artificially limiting the charge current to a maximum of 1/2 amp resulting in much lower heat generation in the charging circuit in the tablet, but taking more time to charge due to the much lower charging rate.

Yeah, I understand stand the USB specs, have discussed them in many threads, on many forums, including this one.
Bought mine on day of release, rooted it, and use it about 6 to 10 hrs a day.

I Recharge with factory charger, from as low as 8%.
Never had a problem with heat buildup.
Your right that it could be different components, or assembly issues.

Just speaking from my personal experience, with mine.

Electronics are far from being cookie cutter devices, each has a separate personality. :)

That's obvious from reading any tech forum :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

someguyatx

Jul 16, 2012
Visit site
I picked mine up yesterday. With tax and the 2 year extended warranty mine came to $151 and change. Very nice tablet, have a case on the way and screen protectors.

The only thing I have noticed is during charging and use the back gets extremely hot, does anybody elses? I haven't had any problems with the SD card slot door being loose or not closing all the way.

Mine does not get extremely hot but the rear top 1/3 of the tablet (in portrait mode) does get warm after use. I usually have a case on so I don't notice. All of my Android phones sometimes get warm too so I suppose its normal. I usually get bored with phones within a year so I expect the same with this device.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 2

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Mine does not get extremely hot but the rear top 1/3 of the tablet (in portrait mode) does get warm after use. I usually have a case on so I don't notice. All of my Android phones sometimes get warm too so I suppose its normal. I usually get bored with phones within a year so I expect the same with this device.

Sent from my M470BSA using Tapatalk 2

What determines what 'normal' is? Heat lowers battery life. The Sero 7 Pro is the only device I have ever used that heat is noticeable besides the Spectrum 2. I've gone through so many phones my credit card cries every time I go for it and the only other tablet I've used is my iPad 2. To me it just seems strange that manufactures would be okay with heat like that.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Picked one up yesterday and set it up. I played a couple of games (DeadZone, Riptide 2) for about a half hour to see how warm the back got. There was significant heat below the camera lens area, next to the volume rocker. Not burning hot but warmer than expected and more so than with my OG 7.

I am going to give it a couple more days and see how it goes with the. For a $129, it's hard to complain what Hisense is giving you. At the same time, I returned the Nexus 2013 a week ago as it was not a significant jump from the original. If the Sero Pro does not pan out, I'll go back to the 2013.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Picked one up yesterday and set it up. I played a couple of games (DeadZone, Riptide 2) for about a half hour to see how warm the back got. There was significant heat below the camera lens area, next to the volume rocker. Not burning hot but warmer than expected and more so than with my OG 7
The main heat issue (at a too hot to touch level according to the Engadget review) takes place during charging, but only for some people, which leads me to believe it may be some hardware difference between different PC board versions (different charge controller or heat sink) or AC adapters with too high of an output voltage in some cases.

okwwq7802

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
This was brought up many replies ago, but no definitive answer yet...

Did rooting the device preclude the "official" Hisense updates (kind of like jail-breaking)? For those who had successfully completed the latest update, was your device rooted? Stock Rom?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Does anybody know if the Sero 7 Pro has a the option for magnetic cases to lock the screen? Like the ipads do, I just got a magnetic case for my Sero. I can't find anything in the settings.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Does anybody know if the Sero 7 Pro has a the option for magnetic cases to lock the screen? Like the ipads do, I just got a magnetic case for my Sero. I can't find anything in the settings.

No magnetic spot I can find :confused:

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
This was brought up many replies ago, but no definitive answer yet...

Did rooting the device preclude the "official" Hisense updates (kind of like jail-breaking)? For those who had successfully completed the latest update, was your device rooted? Stock Rom?

Thanks in advance for the answer.

Will not update while rooted.
The latest rom is available on xda to flash

okwwq7802

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
Will not update while rooted.
The latest rom is available on xda to flash

Thank you for the reply. So, if I've updated my Sero 7 pro AND THEN root, will I retain the update, revert back to stock rom and have to flash the latest ROM from xda, or....?

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the reply. So, if I've updated my Sero 7 pro AND THEN root, will I retain the update, revert back to stock rom and have to flash the latest ROM from xda, or....?

Yes, if you update and then root, you will retain whatever version you running at the time you rooted the tablet.

Sent from my M470BSA using AC Forums mobile app

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
After long use, admittedly in powersavings mode most of the time, at most my Sero 7 gets slightly warm. As my case hasn't arrived yet, I'm thinking it won't be noticable. It is not significantly different than my Tegra 2 Thrive AT100.

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Too funny, I just picked one up this past Saturday....guess what tell your Sero I found it's brother, you have 0424 and I've got 0425; purchased 3 months after yours. :)

edit: so that number turns out to be a date code.

Last edited:

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
All 3 charging up, I also put on a ZaggHD screen protector on all 3 of them...Zagg doesn't make one for the S7 pro, but the kindle fire one works great as it's the same style screen and doesn't cover the front camera.

Sent from there can only be HTC One
Can please tell me exactly which model Zagg for the Kindle you used? I looked online @ bestbuy & zagg and there are a couple of different kindle fires; I was really hoping to put a Zagg on the Sero 7 Pro too..........Thanks!

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I've seen the post about the 2nd set of numbers on the Sero 7 Pro box that begin with 1LBQxxxx but has anyone compared the 1st set of numbers on the box?
On three units I've seen 2 of them have for the first set of numbers both have 3FC07T1305020, yet a 3rd one has 3FC07T1312030 Has anyone seen this, what are you guying seeing for the first set of numbers? I think maybe the 3FC07T1312030 is a later one? Thanks!