Hisense Sero 7 Pro - Unboxing pictures (no video)

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Got my update a few weeks ago the very first time I used my Sero 7 Pro. I suspect the key issue fixed was the very serious security vulnerability discovered recently with the Android OS that has existed ever since the master key system was used with Android:

Uncovering Android Master Key That Makes 99% of Devices Vulnerable ? Bluebox Security

We've had 2 updates now with the Sero 7 Pro. One very large one, and this second smaller update.

Are you suggesting this smaller update is what you're talking about above?

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
We've had 2 updates now with the Sero 7 Pro. One very large one, and this second smaller update.

Are you suggesting this smaller update is what you're talking about above?
Nope, mine must have been just the earlier large one, the one that hopefully supplied the security update because of its timing relative to when that problem was claimed to be patched in Android.

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Investigated further and found that the first, large (52.2MB) update brought a new kernel that was almost certainly patched to fix the master key vulnerability, Google Currents was added to stock apps, and three new drivers were added. I've found nothing specific about the latest, smaller update.

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just received a small update. Nice to know this tablet is receiving support considered it isn't "high end manufacturer". Regardless, I do not regret my decision buying this wonderful toy. Excellent value for your $$$

Cheers!

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Walmart may be "dumping" their inventory. I just saw an ad for the Sero 7 Pro at about $110 from 1Saleaday.
https://1sale.com/electronics/computers-tablets/hisense-sero-7-tablet?ET_CID=807&ET_RID=1786310&ET_UID=%201002378180&utm_source=et&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=M20130911
Not sure if that link works 'cause they were "busy" and I couldn't view the deal, just saw it on an e-mail summary.

These are refurbished units, looked at them yesterday.

Sent from my M470BSA using AC Forums mobile app

hopefulfarm

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
Walmart may be "dumping" their inventory. I just saw an ad for the Sero 7 Pro at about $110 from 1Saleaday.
https://1sale.com/electronics/computers-tablets/hisense-sero-7-tablet?ET_CID=807&ET_RID=1786310&ET_UID=%201002378180&utm_source=et&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=M20130911
Not sure if that link works 'cause they were "busy" and I couldn't view the deal, just saw it on an e-mail summary.

You know someone has posted a recent price drop, and about 2 weeks ago I stopped by our local super-wally, they still had the sero 7 pro's buried and nearly impossible to find, but no price reduction. Hard to know if that's because the employees forgot to switch a sign, or if the price drop was online only, or 'other' randomness from wally-world.

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
As others have commented here, it's amazing that there isn't more attention being paid to this great $129 device by both the on-line community and Wal-mart. Too many pay exclusive attention to the new Nexus 7 v2 and the near-term new and pricey iPads. Frankly, I don't care if I ever get an update to Android beyond 4.2.1 other than security and bug fixes because by the time it _might_ make any difference with regard to compatible apps in a year or two, I'll be ready for a new low-cost tablet based upon, for instance, the new Nexus 7 v2 technology which by then will be old hat just as the Sero 7 Pro uses "old" Nexus 7 v1 hardware. And I'm certain of one thing - if a tablet doesn't have HDMI out and an SD card slot, I will not be buying it. I'm spoiled now.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
As others have commented here, it's amazing that there isn't more attention being paid to this great $129 device by both the on-line community and Wal-mart. Too many pay exclusive attention to the new Nexus 7 v2 and the near-term new and pricey iPads. Frankly, I don't care if I ever get an update to Android beyond 4.2.1 other than security and bug fixes because by the time it _might_ make any difference with regard to compatible apps in a year or two, I'll be ready for a new low-cost tablet based upon, for instance, the new Nexus 7 v2 technology which by then will be old hat just as the Sero 7 Pro uses "old" Nexus 7 v1 hardware. And I'm certain of one thing - if a tablet doesn't have HDMI out and an SD card slot, I will not be buying it. I'm spoiled now.

I think part of the lack of enthusiasm for this great tablet is because it's from Walmart.

Brand conscious Techies don't buy from Walmart.

I'm like you, I use the HDMI out all the time, couldn't use a tablet without it.
And, videos, Photos, music, books, and documents fill my sdcard.
It's nice to be able to store things online, however I spend a lot of my time away from any WiFi, and having things with me is a plus.

Another plus, I purchased this the day it came out, it's usually on 6 to 10 hours a day, and have had zero problems.

Seeker5211

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
It's not that brand conscious Techies don't buy from Walmart.....Walmart appears to be doing everything within it's power to hide these beauties from the public. Why Hisense picked Walmart to NOT sell these tablets leaves me scratching my already thin head of hair.
I too use my tablet almost everyday at work. I store all my laser printer service manuals and design jet manuals on the SD card. This is so much better than carrying around a laptop.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
It's not that brand conscious Techies don't buy from Walmart.....Walmart appears to be doing everything within it's power to hide these beauties from the public. Why Hisense picked Walmart to NOT sell these tablets leaves me scratching my already thin head of hair.
I too use my tablet almost everyday at work. I store all my laser printer service manuals and design jet manuals on the SD card. This is so much better than carrying around a laptop.

Or multiple Milk Crates of manuals :)
Converted everything possible to searchable PDF's

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Question about the Sero 7 Pro, on my unit when it goes into sleep mode the WiFi drops out, when it wakes up I have to use Airplane mode I discovered is the fastest way, to get it to go back online. Weird part is the Icon for WiFi shows its connected to my network but the color changes to white like its an unsecured network, toggling airplane mode back & forth the WiFi signal turns blue and I can then access the internet again. Before I discovered to use airplane mode to toggle it, I would have to disconnect from the network even though it said it was connected (WiFi was white in color) and then reconnect again; toggling airplane mode is a faster work around but I don't have to do this with any of my other devices.
Anyone having similar issues?

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Walmart appears to be doing everything within it's power to hide these beauties from the public. Why Hisense picked Walmart to NOT sell these tablets leaves me scratching my already thin head of hair.
I don't know how many tablets Walmart manages to sell, but since they do sell the Nexus 7 and the iPad Mini, I wonder if they don't make any top-down directed effort to advertise the Sero 7 Pro because their markup profits on the Nexus 7 and, especially, the iPad Mini are so much higher and the Sero 7 Pro might steer too many away from those higher priced small tablets.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Question about the Sero 7 Pro, on my unit when it goes into sleep mode the WiFi drops out, when it wakes up I have to use Airplane mode I discovered is the fastest way, to get it to go back online. Weird part is the Icon for WiFi shows its connected to my network but the color changes to white like its an unsecured network, toggling airplane mode back & forth the WiFi signal turns blue and I can then access the internet again. Before I discovered to use airplane mode to toggle it, I would have to disconnect from the network even though it said it was connected (WiFi was white in color) and then reconnect again; toggling airplane mode is a faster work around but I don't have to do this with any of my other devices.
Anyone having similar issues?

Go to>Settings >WiFi settings> Advance settings and set the keep wifi on to always.
There are other settings to check out under the Advance settings

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Everyone here who owns a Sero 7 Pro knows what an amazing value it is at $129. Since Walmart isn't doing anything to sell them and instead seems to be hiding them away in stores, and since we all want to see a Sero 7 Pro v2 being sold by Walmart at some point in the future, be sure to post your high opinion of the tablet in other tech forums. That's what I've been doing. More people need to know about this device. The fact that all of this capability is packed into a $129 device is incredible.

Here's a good, short and not overly technical review of the Sero 7 Pro by a Nexus 7 v1 owner to post in other tech forums:

Hisense Sero 7 Pro Review - $149 Tegra 3 Android 4.2 Tablet from Walmart - YouTube

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Hisense may have agreed to let Walmart be the exclusive dealer, but that only makes sense if Wally actually wanted to sell them...it might be their foot in the door.

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Then why did Walmart agree to be the sole supplier here in the states.
I'm glad they did and hope they continue to be a supplier (thus my call for current Sero 7 Pro owners to promote as many sales as possible) because all of the most capable, HDMI and SD slot equipped, inexpensive Chinese tablets I've seen in the past before the Sero line were tablets imported by mom and pop operations and since those tablets weren't really aimed at the US market, you couldn't count on ANY Android updates, the manuals, if any, were horrible "Chinglish", and reliable support if defective was nonexistent.

The Sero 7 Pro is the first really capable safe to buy Chinese branded tablet I've seen and I really want there to be a v2, v3, etc., also sold by a major retailer in the US. For that to happen, the Sero 7 Pro must be the hit it deserves to be. Only $129 for this much hardware with this much capability is just amazing. Even more, for only an additional $15, you can get a full-coverage, two-year replacement policy. In two years or less, I'll be buying a new tablet anyway, so it's effectively a life of product replacement warranty.