Hisense Sero 7 Pro - Unboxing pictures (no video)

Seeker5211

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
The "Very professional looking Hisense tablet site (English):"

Most interesting... under the heading SHOPPING, it tells you where to buy TVs and appliances. No mention of Tablets.

nighthawk700

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Everyone here who owns a Sero 7 Pro knows what an amazing value it is at $129. Since Walmart isn't doing anything to sell them and instead seems to be hiding them away in stores, and since we all want to see a Sero 7 Pro v2 being sold by Walmart at some point in the future, be sure to post your high opinion of the tablet in other tech forums. That's what I've been doing. More people need to know about this device. The fact that all of this capability is packed into a $129 device is incredible.

There are many geocachers out there who use tablets while caching. I called in a review of the Sero Pro to one of the techie geocaching podcasts, GeoGearHeads. It happened to be the same week as the new Nexus 7 coming out. One of the two hosts was on the fence between the two, but decided to go with the Nexus 7. Apparently there is a software problem with the GPS in the 7, so the host returned it. I'm still waiting to hear if he picked up a Sero Pro, and if so, how he liked it.

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
The "Very professional looking Hisense tablet site (English):"

Most interesting... under the heading SHOPPING, it tells you where to buy TVs and appliances. No mention of Tablets.
If you click on the Sero 7 Pro image at the bottom of that page, you'll go here:

Hisense Sero 7 Pro

where it says, "Available at Walmart" in a large font.

I'm glad you mentioned this because I see from going to their generic "where to buy" link that they sell stuff at Lowes and Costco, too, meaning that Walmart isn't their only foothold into the US market. Good. That increases the likelihood that they might introduce future tablets in the US.

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
There are many geocachers out there who use tablets while caching. I called in a review of the Sero Pro to one of the techie geocaching podcasts, GeoGearHeads. It happened to be the same week as the new Nexus 7 coming out. One of the two hosts was on the fence between the two, but decided to go with the Nexus 7. Apparently there is a software problem with the GPS in the 7, so the host returned it. I'm still waiting to hear if he picked up a Sero Pro, and if so, how he liked it.
Good job. If you haven't already done so, you might give him the link to the HiSense Sero 7 Pro page I linked to immediately above which points out that the Sero 7 Pro was Laptop Magazine's editors' choice for Jun 2013.

PRW94

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
A little inside info on why Wally World isn't pushing this any harder ... I know someone who works for the local Wally World ... the larger Wally World superstores like the one in my town are basically de facto Apple stores ... the one in my town has HUGE Apple display with iPhones, iPads and iPods all over the place ... the Hisenses (and Samsungs and Nexuses) are off in an out of the way aisle, at my store there's not even a display model Sero 7 Pro, they're all buried in a locked cabinet. A little deductive reasoning (honestly, my source came right out and told me) would indicate they're not really wanting to PO the folks in Cupertino by pushing the Sero 7 Pro hard, and IMO that bodes ill for them pushing any future Hisense releases hard.

Jim_in_VA

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
wow, that is sad. Guess we were lucky the OP of this thread posted about the Sero Pro otherwise none of us would have known it existed.

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
A little inside info on why Wally World isn't pushing this any harder ... I know someone who works for the local Wally World ... the larger Wally World superstores like the one in my town are basically de facto Apple stores ... the one in my town has HUGE Apple display with iPhones, iPads and iPods all over the place ... the Hisenses (and Samsungs and Nexuses) are off in an out of the way aisle, at my store there's not even a display model Sero 7 Pro, they're all buried in a locked cabinet. A little deductive reasoning (honestly, my source came right out and told me) would indicate they're not really wanting to PO the folks in Cupertino by pushing the Sero 7 Pro hard, and IMO that bodes ill for them pushing any future Hisense releases hard.
Yeah, I think it's probably not so much that they are an "Apple store," it's as I'd previously speculated about profit margins on various tablets, probably large on the over-priced, status symbol iPads, lower on the Nexus, and even lower on the Hisense. No big Apple displays in any of the four super Walmarts in my town. I don't care whether they push the Hisense or not as long as they continue to carry the Hisense tablet line. Users can get the word out. Highly enthusiastic word of mouth is always better than some perhaps untrustworthy salesperson.

tmhines

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I just purchased the Hisense Sero 7 pro a few days ago and generally I really like this tablet. I also have the original Nexus 7 16 GB tablet. I used the Nexus 7 for a variety of functions but one function I really started to enjoy was playing music going through my Sony bluetooth reciever. The problem with the Nexus 7 is I filled it with music very quickly. The Sero 7 pro I thought would solve that problem with an added SD card. I did a search on this forum and I didn't find anyone with this problem, but when the screen goes to sleep, the sound gets really choppy. As soon as I wake the screen up, the problem goes away. I don't have this issue with the Nexus 7. Are there any ideas what may be causing this? I really want to like this tablet!

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
I just purchased the Hisense Sero 7 pro a few days ago and generally I really like this tablet. I also have the original Nexus 7 16 GB tablet. I used the Nexus 7 for a variety of functions but one function I really started to enjoy was playing music going through my Sony bluetooth reciever. The problem with the Nexus 7 is I filled it with music very quickly. The Sero 7 pro I thought would solve that problem with an added SD card. I did a search on this forum and I didn't find anyone with this problem, but when the screen goes to sleep, the sound gets really choppy. As soon as I wake the screen up, the problem goes away. I don't have this issue with the Nexus 7. Are there any ideas what may be causing this? I really want to like this tablet!

I know it doesn't help for me to say that this isn't an issue with my tablet, but it isn't.

I use Power Amp for music. So if you use something else, try another player, and see if that helps.

In the Tablet settings > Bluetooth > Tap on the far right menu icon for your Sony > make sure "Use for media audio" is checked.

Maybe this will help

Sent from my M470BSA using AC Forums mobile app

tmhines

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I know it doesn't help for me to say that this isn't an issue with my tablet, but it isn't.

I use Power Amp for music. So if you use something else, try another player, and see if that helps.

In the Tablet settings > Bluetooth > Tap on the far right menu icon for your Sony > make sure "Use for media audio" is checked.

Maybe this will help

Thanks for your suggestions! I did download Power Amp (trial version). I also did make sure under bluetooth settings that "use for media audio" was checked. I am still having the same issue. I did find on the web where someone else was having this exact issue. It only occurs when the screen is asleep. Maybe there is an incompatibility with this tablet and Sony? I really wanted this tablet to work for me. Unfortunately I think I will need to return it even though all other functions work fine. I really needed the bluetooth audio to work though.

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your suggestions! I did download Power Amp (trial version). I also did make sure under bluetooth settings that "use for media audio" was checked. I am still having the same issue. I did find on the web where someone else was having this exact issue. It only occurs when the screen is asleep. Maybe there is an incompatibility with this tablet and Sony? I really wanted this tablet to work for me. Unfortunately I think I will need to return it even though all other functions work fine. I really needed the bluetooth audio to work though.

Was the other user also using Sony Bluetooth?
I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem.
I turned Airplane mode on in my tablet then turned WiFi and Bluetooth back on.
I have the Balanced Mode in power settings
NFC off
Not sure what other settings may affect Bluetooth.

Hope you get it worked out

tmhines

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Was the other user also using Sony Bluetooth?
I don't know if this has anything to do with the problem.
I turned Airplane mode on in my tablet then turned WiFi and Bluetooth back on.
I have the Balanced Mode in power settings
NFC off
Not sure what other settings may affect Bluetooth.

Hope you get it worked out

Thanks again for your help! I tried those suggestions as well with the same issue. The other person was using a Motorola S305. Here is the post. This person's issue is identical to mine:

"I am using a Motorola S305 bluetooth headset with my Hisense Sero 7 pro. When listening to music it cuts in and out all the time. It doesn't stop after a few times. It just keeps cutting out. I did some of my own testing and noticed that it only cuts in and out when the screen goes to sleep. I thought it could be the live wallpaper I had so I turned it off and the issue has not gone away.
Anyone else having these issues or know what the issue could be?

Upon searching the internet I found that a lot of people where having this issue with JB 4.2.1 on thier tablet/phone. Once they upgraded to JB 4.2.2 the problem went away. The problem also went away when they downgraded to JB 4.1.2. This is gonna suck if Hisense doesn't bother with releasing the update for their tablets.

Sent an email to Customer support at Hisense and this is the response:
At this time we have not gotten any word from R&D regarding updates to the tablet. If and when they will be available is beyond me and we usually get the run-around from them when something like this comes up. If you are still within your 15 day window to return it with Walmart I would go ahead and do so since the tablet is not capable of holding a steady Bluetooth connection.

I'll be returning the tablet to Walmart. Product support is very important for me.

I hope this helps anyone in making a decision of purchasing this tablet."

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

Just did a Google search for "jb 4.2.1 bluetooth problem"
Apparently it's an Android problem, some people have it and some don't.
Same with updating to 4.2.2, corrected the problem for some people but not others.

Have you installed the two updates from Hisense? Not sure what they corrected.
I'm rooted so I didn't bother with the updates.

tmhines

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Just did a Google search for "jb 4.2.1 bluetooth problem"
Apparently it's an Android problem, some people have it and some don't.
Same with updating to 4.2.2, corrected the problem for some people but not others.

Have you installed the two updates from Hisense? Not sure what they corrected.
I'm rooted so I didn't bother with the updates.

Yes, I did install all the updates. My Nexus 7 has never had this problem. Is yours working ok because it has been rooted?

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Upon searching the internet I found that a lot of people where having this issue with JB 4.2.1 on thier tablet/phone. Once they upgraded to JB 4.2.2 the problem went away. The problem also went away when they downgraded to JB 4.1.2. This is gonna suck if Hisense doesn't bother with releasing the update for their tablets.
Hisense is definitely going to provide Android updates with 4.3 coming this fall. I read that from a Hisense customer support person commenting on an Android developer board. Another on-line comment was that although Android 5 is supposed to be released this fall, devices other than those made by Google will typically get it no earlier than the 2nd quarter of 2014, so 4.3 this fall isn't really lagging far behind the sort of updates you'd get from most hardware manufacturers. If Hisense provides 4.3, they'll probably provide 5.0, too, by Q2 2014 but there are no guarantees of that from any hardware manufacturer other than Google.

Note that Hisense has already provided an Android kernel update and three new drivers in their first 52.2MB update and an important Android security fix in the more recent 1.7MB update, so be sure your tablet has downloaded both of those.

Take57

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Hisense is definitely going to provide Android updates with 4.3 coming this fall. I read that from a Hisense customer support person commenting on an Android developer board. Another on-line comment was that although Android 5 is supposed to be released this fall, devices other than those made by Google will typically get it no earlier than the 2nd quarter of 2014, so 4.3 this fall isn't really lagging far behind the sort of updates you'd get from most hardware manufacturers. If Hisense provides 4.3, they'll probably provide 5.0, too, by Q2 2014 but there are no guarantees of that from any hardware manufacturer other than Google.

Note that Hisense has already provided an Android kernel update and three new drivers in their first 52.2MB update and an important Android security fix in the more recent 1.7MB update, so be sure your tablet has downloaded both of those.
I really think this can't be underlined enough. For a <$150 wunderkind, it's getting pretty impressive manufacturer support. There are a lot of brands with greater visibility and marketing budgets that should frankly be kind of ashamed of themselves in comparison.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36