Hisense Sero 7 Pro - Unboxing pictures (no video)

enthused91

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to get some input on my sero's battery, as it seems like it almost completely drains after just sitting, not being used for 8 hours and I'm wondering if I have a defective battery -- I also only have 4 more days to decide whether I want to return it.

I also had it plugged in overnight once and in the morning found it to be EXTREMELY hot and unwilling to turn on at all -- then I left for work and 8 hours late, when I plugged it back in I was able to turn it on but the batter was completely drained. Don't know what this means, and it hasn't happened again, but it makes me worry that my tablet might have a defect.

So I downloaded 'Battery Monitor' widget, which has in depth graphs to diagnose battery issues, however my problem is, I don't know what is normal and for the most part what anything means -- but I thought I'd attach screen captures of the graphs and was hoping maybe someone could tell me if they indicate I have a crappy batter or if this is normal for the Sero 7 Pro.

Any help or insight would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Screenshot_2013-09-26-19-23-38.pngScreenshot_2013-09-26-19-23-42.pngScreenshot_2013-09-26-19-23-45.pngScreenshot_2013-09-26-19-23-53.pngScreenshot_2013-09-26-19-24-04.png

bigdaddytee

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't know how to read your graphs, but in my experience, I can leave it on for days with less than 5% loss per day. However, mine isn't connected during that time, (in the truck, no wifi or hotspot).
Something running in the background, or a bad battery/unit sounds like the culprit.
Are you using the original charger unit?

Sent from the (4.2 updated) redheaded stepchild of the Nexii

Michael Vieux

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Mine has about 3% battery loss overnight.
The only thing I have running in the background is Gmail.
Battery loss like you're describing, is usually multiple apps updating in the background.

And it could be a bad battery, or connection.

When you go to settings, battery, what does it show is using the battery?
Also go to, Settings >Apps, then slide the screen to the left, and see what's running in the background.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app

Hammerdown36

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Well, I've had my Sero 7 Pro for one week now, and I love it. I have one question to ask. Does anyone else have the paid version of Sygic GPS Navigation installed. On my device, everytime I do a restart, I have to enter the product code for Sygic again.

bigbazinga

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to get some input on my sero's battery, as it seems like it almost completely drains after just sitting, not being used for 8 hours and I'm wondering if I have a defective battery -- I also only have 4 more days to decide whether I want to return it.
Definitely return it and all of its charging accessories for exchange. I had a similar problem with a new HP Touchpad that I bought when they were being discontinued and went on sale ($149 for a previously $499 unit). Pretty much the same problem but without the heat you mention. It was after several months of ownership, so I had to get it repaired by HP (the battery was indeed defective) which luckily turned out to be a super easy and quick process. I guess in your case you're still within the Walmart exchange period? If so, I'd definitely exchange it and get the 2-year anything-but-theft replacement coverage for the second unit if they allow it after the exchange of your defective unit. I bought it. It's only $15 if I recall correctly.

enthused91

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Wow really, only 5%? I do usually leave mine where it can get wifi, but still seems like a lot of battery loss... don't know about what's running in the background, but I do use the original charger for sure... since my 14 days walmart return expires in 5 days, I think I might just go for the exchange -- thanks for the input!

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I also had it plugged in overnight once and in the morning found it to be EXTREMELY hot and unwilling to turn on at all -- then I left for work and 8 hours late, when I plugged it back in I was able to turn it on but the batter was completely drained. Don't know what this means, and it hasn't happened again, but it makes me worry that my tablet might have a defect.

So I downloaded 'Battery Monitor' widget, which has in depth graphs to diagnose battery issues, however my problem is, I don't know what is normal and for the most part what anything means -- but I thought I'd attach screen captures of the graphs and was hoping maybe someone could tell me if they indicate I have a crappy batter or if this is normal for the Sero 7 Pro.

Any help or insight would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

View attachment 83401View attachment 83402View attachment 83403View attachment 83404View attachment 83405

Don't know the app but It looks like it was charged only 2x in 41 hours going on to possibly need a 3rd. Not too shabby. I agree with the comments to check what is actually running and consuming power. I have practiced shutting down apps for 2+ years on my Toshiba Thrive in the pm and sometimes on the Sero.

The peak temperature on your charts is about 100F, slightly above body normal temperature. That doesn't seem to be too hot and from my unit in a PU leather case, I wouldn't even feel that. What is your power setting? I use power saving or balanced for most of my use and its fine.

You might check if the connection is good at the micro USB by repositioning the tablet while plugged in. I have
a problem with my original cable and even a Nook Simple Touch cable used as an alternate in that both have to 'drape' downwards with the screen face up to make continuous contact. I plan to call Hisense but suspect its the port and don't want to return the unit now after only 2+ months. My problem could be caused by my practice of keeping it plugged in most times at home and minor 'jostling'.

enthused91

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
So basically -- my charts didn't look completely abnormal and bad is what I'm getting out of your reply. Even though it was only charged twice in 41 hours, I didn't really use it for a good ten hours during work, then another 6 hours while sleeping, so it wasn't heavy use -- but I was basically trying to see if the graphs showed some major defect.

I will have to check out what I have open and possibly switch to battery saver mode, especially when I won't be using it for awhile I guess. Does it make sense ever to power it down when it won't be used?

kylecordiano

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Quick question for you guys. I got the Sero 7 and the Wifi speed was slow. Returned it and the same problem with the second one. I decided to keep it as everything else is perfect. My wifi speed on my phone is 30mbps and my computer is 50+mbps. The hisense gets 8-12 on the download speed, but on the upload speed is the normal 22+. Wifi strength is perfect though. Do you think it could be a software problem? I really do not feel like going back and exchanging for another one.

teejay69

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
I have been enjoying my S7 Pro since first reading about it here. It's worked flawlessly, and am truly loving it. I spend hours using it between work and home.

Someone tell me why I would need to root it? Android 4.2.1 works great for me. The only thing that bugs me is the screen capture button.

And yes I'd love to see our own forum up front and not buried! This tablet rocks and should get its recognition!

Posted via Android Central App

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
To 'enthused91':

If not rooted and running things like Link2SD-which requires rebooting at least once from a power-down mode to mount the apps, yes you can power down. You can also set the display mode to a low time setting in the pm for shutting the screen which uses a lot of power. Or, what I do when finished using it is to quickly depress the power button and release to force the tab into sleep mode.

Romeowaho

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys.just wanted to thank you guys for the info and reviews about the tab.it was really great and since i dont live nearby kenya tob exact,it realy gave me a feel about the tab n how good it was,just ordered it to b exact.hope to post with the tab real soon.ps
the publicty u guys r giving it is really working!

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Question about the Sero 7 Pro, on my unit when it goes into sleep mode the WiFi drops out, when it wakes up I have to use Airplane mode I discovered is the fastest way, to get it to go back online. Weird part is the Icon for WiFi shows its connected to my network but the color changes to white like its an unsecured network, toggling airplane mode back & forth the WiFi signal turns blue and I can then access the internet again. Before I discovered to use airplane mode to toggle it, I would have to disconnect from the network even though it said it was connected (WiFi was white in color) and then reconnect again; toggling airplane mode is a faster work around but I don't have to do this with any of my other devices.
Anyone having similar issues?

After much trial and error, I found a solution to this issue see the attached screen shot I made to resolve this; it's really easy

Sero7ProWiFiFIX.png

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
So uncheck Wifi optimization for better battery and keep Wifi on? Sorry it was hard to read on the screen shot

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
So uncheck Wifi optimization for better battery and keep Wifi on? Sorry it was hard to read on the screen shot

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Yes correct, also even though it says optimization for battery I found that it didn't have any noticeable effect on my batteries usage, as I tested this solution for nearly a month before I posted it.

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes correct, also even though it says optimization for battery I found that it didn't have any noticeable effect on my batteries usage, as I tested this solution for nearly a month before I posted it.

I don't have the connectivity issue you have. For others who also don't, my experience with 2 tablets for 2+ years is keeping WiFi on during sleep is the 2nd biggest power user after the screen. If you're charging overnight, it doesn't matter much. But if you are traveling without a charger, you'll see it.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ggrahl18

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
I read through this whole thing almost and saw the same 100 posts lol.

Concerning external hard drives!!!

I specifically bought my zero 7 pro to hook up a tb or larger external and use it for music, movies, torrents, and games (haven't found many decent games). Ive tried a few large externals with an otg adapter and otg mounting apps. And yes my external drives have their own power sources. Nothing! I rooted my tablet and still nothing. I have yet to try a smaller flash drive, but idk. My 32gb SD works great, already filled it up downloading music. Does anyone have any info??? If I can't figure this out I may return it, we will see...

gberpa

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

I specifically bought my zero 7 pro to hook up a tb or larger external and use it for music, movies, torrents, and games (haven't found many decent games). Ive tried a few large externals with an otg adapter and otg mounting apps. And yes my external drives have their own power sources. Nothing! I rooted my tablet and still nothing. I have yet to try a smaller flash drive, but idk. My 32gb SD works great, already filled it up downloading music. Does anyone have any info??? If I can't figure this out I may return it, we will see...

Our S7 will not recognize memory attached via an OTG USB cable. It will recognize other devices. I've tried my USB wireless transmitter for a Logitech keyboard and that works. None of the free USB Mount apps at Play store work. I read here and on another forum that a Nexus Media Importer app works. Suggest you search the thread here.

Last edited:

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site

I'm using a External WD 2TB, a OTG cable along with Nexus Media Importer App and it works flawlessly, it is a pay app but it's cheap; I also use the Sanddisk USB 128GB Cruzer Glide and works perfectly too, not bad since it's powered by the USB bus.

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
Our S7 will not recognize memory attached via an OTG USB cable. It will recognize other devices. I've tried my USB wireless transmitter for a Logitech keyboard and that works. None of the free USB Mount apps at Play store work. I read here and on another forum that a Nexus Media Reader app works. Suggest you search the thread here.

Sounds like your OTG cable is defective, for example using a USB 32GB Sandisk and a OTG cable I can access it just fine without any apps.