Received my ASUS Memo Pad HD 7, but might not open the box and just return it. Why should I keep it

DavidE1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Background: Been a happy Apple iOS user since I got my iPhone 4 the day it came out. Still using it. I will get a 5S when it comes out next month.
I have an iPad 2 that I also got when it came out and I'm still happy with it. Does what I need to, though the Facebook App often lags in the current version......

I misplaced my old 32gb iPod that I used for music on vacation and for playing music between sets at gigs (I'm a weekend musician). I was using my iPhone in its place, mostly using Spotify, but there are often times I need access to my phone or calendar etc... between sets. I looked at new and used iPods and decided that an iPod Touch would work and be better if it ran Spotify, but man are they expensive!!!!! I was about to pull the trigger on a Blackberry Playbook 64gb until I realized it can barely use Spotify with a wifi connection but there is no way to use it for offline playlists and that's what I needed.

SO.... for $150, I can get this ASUS HD7 and through in a Class 10 micro SD for another $26.... Still cheaper than most used iPod Touch Gen 4 32gb units on ebay.... or about the same cost. AND I would have a small tablet for other uses. Made sense to me and ordered it.

THEN, I scored a 3rd gen iPod touch 64gb on Ebay for $115 and it will run Spotify offline. I decided I really did want the small size of the iPod Touch for the car, vacation (to take to the beach etc...). So I don't NEED the ASUS anymore and it arrived yesterday (got it out of the mailbox tonight).

I'm really tempted to open the ASUS and give it a spin... but why? Looking for some good reasons / justifications from you android tablet users. :)))))))))

Thanks!

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site
For $20 less you could grab a Sero Pro from Walmart. I too looked at the HD 7 and while the reviews were pretty good, more graphic intense games were laggy. That steered me away as games and web browsing are my primary uses.

As for the Sero Pro, you cannot beat that price point and it runs well ( but warm). Gaming is a non issue and having the SD and HDMI slots are great.

Posted via the indispensable Android Central App

DavidE1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I did consider the Hisense, but felt that for $20 more it might be a better move in the long run to get the "new" model by a brand that will be around to support the tablet. The HDMI out on the Sero is attractive to me, but I'd rarely use it. I'm wondering of there's a way to get HDMI out on the ASUS either through a USB to HDMI cable or through the Chromecast when I can get my hands on it. One review said something about it habing a wireless HDMI that will work wirelessly with Chromecast but I forgot which review it was...

I don't play games, so that's not an issue for me or I would have skipped the HD7.

I did open the box thanks to Amazon's great return policy. It seems to run flawlessly and certainly gets better speed than my iPad 2 and the interface is pretty intuitive so far. Some of my important apps are missing (guitar and sheet music related), but I have the iPad for those. I made adjustments to the text size to make it easier to read. It's half the weight of my iPad, but I'm still not sure what I thnk of the size....

One thing I noticed is that if I open a page in Chrome and try to run a YouTube video on the page, the video is choppy. Works perfectly on the ipad. But then I tried opening the page in the stock browser and the video was smooth. I wonder why?

For $20 less you could grab a Sero Pro from Walmart. I too looked at the HD 7 and while the reviews were pretty good, more graphic intense games were laggy. That steered me away as games and web browsing are my primary uses.

As for the Sero Pro, you cannot beat that price point and it runs well ( but warm). Gaming is a non issue and having the SD and HDMI slots are great.

Posted via the indispensable Android Central App

asaulo1

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I place my vote for the hisense as well... been using it for a couple of days now and I'm happy with it especially for the $129 price. I mostly use my ipad mini but decided to give the hisense pro a try for a week (no ipad mini) and so far, it's been great.... browsing on it is really good since the screen is very nice.... I don't mind that it gets warm a little bit but I do get wrist fatigue being that it's a tad heavier than the ipad mini.....

DavidE1

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I place my vote for the hisense as well... been using it for a couple of days now and I'm happy with it especially for the $129 price. I mostly use my ipad mini but decided to give the hisense pro a try for a week (no ipad mini) and so far, it's been great.... browsing on it is really good since the screen is very nice.... I don't mind that it gets warm a little bit but I do get wrist fatigue being that it's a tad heavier than the ipad mini.....

Thanks for the reply, but this doesn't answer the question. And I already stated why I would keep the ASUS over getting the Hisense, so that's not the issue either.

So far nobody can tell me why I'd want to keep this if I already have an older iPad and an iPhone. So far I am liking the performance, great screen and I do like the Android UI more than I expected. Nothing exciting, but I don't need exciting. I need intuitive and functional. I like the light weight and after some changes to the fonts and sizes, I am ok so far with most things on the 7" screen. It might be a nice alternative that I don't really need. ;-)

Wylie E

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I just got the asus hd7 pro for my mom. She loves it. You will get different rendering of you tube in different browsers.... I suggest just using the you tube app since it is made for watching you tube in a device without a web browser. and usually android will ask you the default app to use for you tube links. Asus also makes the popular Nexus 7 at least the latest two iterations As well as the vastly popular higher end transformer pads. Asus also is a leader in other products related to Computing as well making them a company to depend on.

Tadb123

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't like it when certain apps are "incompatible." That's one reason I bought a Nexus 7; however I've found that every app I use has loaded on the Hisense.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2