Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Default Re: Tesco hudl: UK users post your opinions

Quote Originally Posted by gardenersassistant View Post
    You are not alone.

From time to time I am getting repeating keys on the virtual keyboard and on a physical (bluetooth) keyboard, and sometimes the Hudl gets unresponsive to touch and then sometimes locks up completely. Sending it to sleep and immediately back again (not a restart) seems to cure both of these problems for me, for a while. I can live with this, but I've seen someone else needing to restart to cure them, which I couldn't live with, and neither can he. These and other problems with the Hudl are being discussed and .
    I had lots of problems with mine, being over sensetive and double typing etc. So I went to W H Smith, and bought a Conductive touchscreen stylus, by KIT, for just under a fiver.
    Its like a totally different machine now. no double or tripple letters, or jumping to & fro.
    However I do have a question, having installed Kindle, and bought a couple of books, what happens if I have a problem and have to re set ?
    How do I recover the books ? or can I back them up, on my memory card ? if so, how ?
    Any Info will be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

See above!
    Hoppity

Thank you for your help. I've just got back from Tesco where, of course, my hudl performed perfectly for the first time, ever!
    Interestingly, I was told that I was the only one to complain about these problems (as the guy concentrated specifically on the lower left hand side of the screen before I said anything!) He also expressed great surprise that forums existed with lots of the same problems recurring. Have now been "sent home" and told to ring the helpline! Again, many thanks. John.

Posted via Android Central App

Am concerned. Brought a Hudl and recieved it on Monday. All seemed fine til i downloaded games on there for my child. (Examples are Plants vs Zombies and Where's My Water). However after playing for say 1-2 levels the game seems to freeze - you can not pick up the suns in Zombies or do anything. Even trying to turn off the thing is impossible - the screen freezes and it won't turn off. The only way around it i've found is to leave it alone until it finally decides to "lock" the screen at which point i can then exit the game. Has any one else had this problem? Should i return? Seriously thinking of just getting the Galaxy Tablet instead - only 20 more and seems to do exactly the same thing as the Hudl!

Found this.

So, that is probably not going to be an easy fix.
    No wonder the various File Managers, could not locate the kindle books.
    Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Loving my Hudl. Had it a few days now and had no real worries. Been downloading apps like mad to test it's handling and all has been fine.

Posted via Android Central App

Had mine a week now and generally ok for the price. Getting used to the typing gradually and the flakey wifi connection.

Main thing taxing me at the moment is various apps which use the magentic field, orientation & gps sensors like Google sky map, Smart compass and ISON finder by Helioserver. These apps just dont appear to give reliable readings e.g. instead of the compass always pointing North you can move it around. Has anyone else found this please?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gileslike View Post
    I was told that I was the only one to complain about these problems (as the guy concentrated specifically on the lower left hand side of the screen before I said anything!) He also expressed great surprise that forums existed with lots of the same problems recurring.
    Ha! I am on my third Hudl, the first two having been defective. When discussing the problems with the first one I had an "interesting" discussion with one of the tech support people who told me that (I quote) "there is no such thing as an intermittent fault" and "the industry does not recognise intermittent faults". Having worked in IT for 30 years I did not find this entirely convincing. Anyway, after further conversations they eventually agreed to replace it.

When the second one showed the same faults I made a before engaging in a discussion about getting a refund. As it happened, it was a very short and friendly conversation. No problem arranging a refund. It was, the (different) rep said, a known problem.

After doing some research into alternatives I decided that I really did want a Hudl rather than anything else. So I went and bought one in a local store. Thus far, it has been ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Gileslike View Post
    Have now been "sent home" and told to ring the helpline!
    How did you get on?

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Scott View Post
    Main thing taxing me at the moment is various apps which use the magentic field, orientation & gps sensors like Google sky map, Smart compass and ISON finder by Helioserver. These apps just dont appear to give reliable readings e.g. instead of the compass always pointing North you can move it around. Has anyone else found this please?
    Yes, I have the compass needle jumping around when the Hudl is stationary, rotating with (or somewhat along with) the Hudl as the Hudl rotates, and when it does settle it can be pointing in entirely the wrong direction.

On the other hand, I just took the Hudl out for a short journey to test MapFactor:GPS Navigation (free, and using OpenStreetMaps data, so with all the UK data downloaded you can use it without a 3G connection). It worked fine, including some turns at rather short distances apart in a densely packed housing development, and including quick recognition and route revisions to take account of wrong turnings that I took. So the GPS is working ok on mine (it does take several minutes to get its act together with the GPS - I have it off by default.)

Had my Hudl a couple of days also. Experiencing keyboard problem 'left side ' unresponsive . Can sometimes solve by re-orientating or rebooting. However is a very irritating fault and needs sorting out quickly.
    Have also experienced jumping out of Kindle reader to Tesco site .equally annoying.!!!! have also installed Firefox as Chrome kept crashing

Quote Originally Posted by Lesley Stanhope View Post
    Had my Hudl a couple of days also. Experiencing keyboard problem 'left side ' unresponsive . Can sometimes solve by re-orientating or rebooting. However is a very irritating fault and needs sorting out quickly.
    Have also experienced jumping out of Kindle reader to Tesco site .equally annoying.!!!! have also installed Firefox as Chrome kept crashing
    It is a problem that is known to Tesco. You need to get a replacement. I think if you bought it in a store you can take it back there for a replacement. If you bought it from Tesco Direct you probably need to phone and they can put you through to Tesco Direct to arrange a replacement. (I had to replace mine twice. My current one, #3, seems to be fine, and I'm really enjoying it. I have experience with PCs, but it is my first time with a tablet.)

You might want to try something other than the Kindle reader. There are loads of alternatives. FWIW I started by using FBReader, which I liked, but I'm using Moon+ Reader now and like it so much I bought the full version (not exactly a huge expense!). It lets you do annotations and highlighting, and has a nice index of annotations, highlights and bookmarks. And it is very configurable.

Nice avatar btw.

Although I am very impressed
    with the build quality and speed I have a
    few issues with it. Today it was very unresponsive to finger touch and eventually it froze completely. I was unable to shut it down. Eventually I got it to the login screen where I could tap in the code and it was fine.

It is a problem that is known to Tesco. You need to get a replacement. I think if you bought it in a store you can take it back there for a replacement. If you bought it from Tesco Direct you probably need to phone and they can put you through to Tesco Direct to arrange a replacement. (I had to replace mine twice. My current one, #3, seems to be fine, and I'm really enjoying it. I have experience with PCs, but it is my first time with a tablet.)

You might want to try something other than the Kindle reader. There are loads of alternatives. FWIW I started by using FBReader, which I liked, but I'm using Moon+ Reader now and like it so much I bought the full version (not exactly a huge expense!). It lets you do annotations and highlighting, and has a nice index of annotations, highlights and bookmarks. And it is very configurable.

Nice avatar btw.
    I should have said that the problem that is known to Tesco is the left side unresponsive issue.

On the issue of jumping out of the Kindle reader to the Tesco site, you may be doing what I find keeps happening to me, that I accidentally press on the "T" at the bottom left of the screen, and off I go to Tesco-land. Although you can easily enough get rid of the Tesco Widgets that come pre-installed on the Hudl, getting rid of that "T" is a different matter, and apparently needs the Hudl to be "rooted", which apart from anything else may (not sure about this) invalidate your warranty, and in any case is very iffy to do unless you really know what you are doing.
    Thanked by:

I've had my Hudl for a few days and am experiencing the same problem with the keyboard being unresponsive and eventually locking up. I was hoping it might be a os update to fix it but looking through this thread it looks like something more serious. A shame because I really like the Hudl, I bought it as a VERY cost effective marine chart plotter. I guess at the price build quality is going to be flakey.
    I'll take it back tomorrow and hopefully get a good one, but if any one comes up with a fix pleased let us know

Quote Originally Posted by pbrook67 View Post
    A shame because I really like the Hudl, I bought it as a VERY cost effective marine chart plotter.
    I accidentally got a free SatNav by buying a Hudl.

Quote Originally Posted by pbrook67 View Post
    I'll take it back tomorrow and hopefully get a good one, but if any one comes up with a fix pleased let us know
    Hope it goes well. If you can get a good one it is a nice little piece of kit (IMO).

I just returned one for the very same reason. You will find that after about half an hour, half the screen fails to work and after an hour only a small strip works.

I had 2, one went back for the dead screen issue and my "good" one I can't get a PC to see it over USB. Tried Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 and neither "see" the device when connected

On the issue of jumping out of the Kindle reader to the Tesco site, you may be doing what I find keeps happening to me, that I accidentally press on the "T" at the bottom left of the screen, and off I go to Tesco-land. Although you can easily enough get rid of the Tesco Widgets that come pre-installed on the Hudl, getting rid of that "T" is a different matter, and apparently needs the Hudl to be "rooted", which apart from anything else may (not sure about this) invalidate your warranty, and in any case is very iffy to do unless you really know what you are doing.
    You may have to root the device to get rid of the "T", but I have been told in another place how to stop it doing anything if you touch it, which is good enough for me. You go to Settings, Apps and Disable the Tesco apps (it might be just one of them, I don't know, but I disabled them all). Then if you accidentally touch the "T" nothing happens. (When you click on the Disable button you will be given a warning about losing data - just click "OK". You will then be asked what strikes me as a rather peculiar question - "Do you want to replace this app with the factory version?" Just click on OK.)

Quote Originally Posted by charker View Post
    I just returned one for the very same reason. You will find that after about half an hour, half the screen fails to work and after an hour only a small strip works.
    I think the symptoms vary. I made a short video of the problem I had, which is what I've seen described by a number of other people. Also as others found, putting the Hudl to sleep and waking it up again cured the problem (until the next time).

I got some other problems as well including repeating keys (from both virtual and physical keyboards) and phantom inputs.

Duplicate.

hi, i have a Tesco Hudl but when i connect it to my laptop or desktop it is not recognised, i get a message saying windows could not find driver. Any ideas how to get round this ?????

I'm not sure why so many seem to be experiencing problems.. But I think we need to keep in mind that all tech suffers glitches at a software level. Hardware errors should most definitely be reported to and rectified by Tesco, but in my experience software errors plaque all modern Tablets (and other tech) no matter what brand. For example: I own both a Hudl and iPhone, I am very pleased to say that at a Hardware level both have suffered no failures, but at an O/S and App level I get problems with both systems.

I constantly have to uninstall unstable Apps from the iPhone and have found Apps that also cause the Hudl to mis-behave. These problems are not unique to the Hudl and are not caused by it being a budget entry level Tablet, the top brands (iDevices, Samsung, etc) can and do suffer similar software fails. Just take a look at forums for the top end devices, you'll see as many people making complaints about their 300+ devices as you will for the bargin (and Hudl) devices.

I think it's more down to learning about the device, it's specs and it's abilities. Once you come to terms with what it can and can't do before or after you purchase (preferably before, I would always recommend researching the product to make sure it suits your needs) then your experience with your chosen device will improve greatly. That's the same for all modern tech, there is no point in buying a standard Laptop PC if what you really want to do is play high level online modern games... It may well load the game, it might even try to play it, but sooner or later the components are going to start to struggle under the strain and cause system failures, not the Laptops fault.

I have had my Hudl for three weeks and as I said at a hardware level no problems. It does exactly what I expected it to do and even surpassed my expectations, but I have come across Apps that are either glitchy or in some cases just crash, but I have been pushing it way beyond what I originally purchased it to do. Also remember that just because an App has found it's way to the PlayStore it does not mean it is without fault, don't be to quick to blame the Hudl, it could be the App that is not quite the finished item hence the need for updates and patches to certain Apps.

I personally am very happy with my Hudl, it does what I wanted it to do and the only issues I have had have been caused by me.

Did you manage to return it? I've had mine just over a week and suddenly won't turn on

I should have said that the problem that is known to Tesco is the left side unresponsive issue.

Rooting the Hudl is relatively easy..... Google for a program called Kingo Android Root... Just follow the instructions, it's surprisingly easy......

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Coupland View Post
    Rooting the Hudl is relatively easy..... Google for a program called Kingo Android Root... Just follow the instructions, it's surprisingly easy......
    It's not the difficulty/ease of doing the rooting that concerns me, but the possible side-effects.

Incidentally, as to the Tesco "T", I have since been shown that it is easy (without rooting) to stop the "T" actually doing anything (other than clicking), so the only issue is its still being visible, which doesn't trouble me. It was the fact that when I accidentally touched the "T", which I did quite often because of its position, it would launch into a Tesco app, which I found disruptive and annoying.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast