Tesco hudl: UK users post your opinions

charker

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I just returned one for the very same reason. You will find that after about half an hour, half the screen fails to work and after an hour only a small strip works.

charker

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I had 2, one went back for the dead screen issue and my "good" one I can't get a PC to see it over USB. Tried Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 and neither "see" the device when connected

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
On the issue of jumping out of the Kindle reader to the Tesco site, you may be doing what I find keeps happening to me, that I accidentally press on the "T" at the bottom left of the screen, and off I go to Tesco-land. Although you can easily enough get rid of the Tesco Widgets that come pre-installed on the Hudl, getting rid of that "T" is a different matter, and apparently needs the Hudl to be "rooted", which apart from anything else may (not sure about this) invalidate your warranty, and in any case is very iffy to do unless you really know what you are doing.

You may have to root the device to get rid of the "T", but I have been told in another place how to stop it doing anything if you touch it, which is good enough for me. You go to Settings, Apps and Disable the Tesco apps (it might be just one of them, I don't know, but I disabled them all). Then if you accidentally touch the "T" nothing happens. (When you click on the Disable button you will be given a warning about losing data - just click "OK". You will then be asked what strikes me as a rather peculiar question - "Do you want to replace this app with the factory version?" Just click on OK.)

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
I just returned one for the very same reason. You will find that after about half an hour, half the screen fails to work and after an hour only a small strip works.

I think the symptoms vary. I made a short video here of the problem I had, which is what I've seen described by a number of other people. Also as others found, putting the Hudl to sleep and waking it up again cured the problem (until the next time).

I got some other problems as well including repeating keys (from both virtual and physical keyboards) and phantom inputs.

Steven Morgan1

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
hi, i have a Tesco Hudl but when i connect it to my laptop or desktop it is not recognised, i get a message saying windows could not find driver. Any ideas how to get round this ?????

Garry Coupland

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure why so many seem to be experiencing problems.. But I think we need to keep in mind that all tech suffers glitches at a software level. Hardware errors should most definitely be reported to and rectified by Tesco, but in my experience software errors plaque all modern Tablets (and other tech) no matter what brand. For example: I own both a Hudl and iPhone, I am very pleased to say that at a Hardware level both have suffered no failures, but at an O/S and App level I get problems with both systems.

I constantly have to uninstall unstable Apps from the iPhone and have found Apps that also cause the Hudl to mis-behave. These problems are not unique to the Hudl and are not caused by it being a budget entry level Tablet, the top brands (iDevices, Samsung, etc) can and do suffer similar software fails. Just take a look at forums for the top end devices, you'll see as many people making complaints about their ?300+ devices as you will for the bargin (and Hudl) devices.

I think it's more down to learning about the device, it's specs and it's abilities. Once you come to terms with what it can and can't do before or after you purchase (preferably before, I would always recommend researching the product to make sure it suits your needs) then your experience with your chosen device will improve greatly. That's the same for all modern tech, there is no point in buying a standard Laptop PC if what you really want to do is play high level online modern games... It may well load the game, it might even try to play it, but sooner or later the components are going to start to struggle under the strain and cause system failures, not the Laptops fault.

I have had my Hudl for three weeks and as I said at a hardware level no problems. It does exactly what I expected it to do and even surpassed my expectations, but I have come across Apps that are either glitchy or in some cases just crash, but I have been pushing it way beyond what I originally purchased it to do. Also remember that just because an App has found it's way to the PlayStore it does not mean it is without fault, don't be to quick to blame the Hudl, it could be the App that is not quite the finished item hence the need for updates and patches to certain Apps.

I personally am very happy with my Hudl, it does what I wanted it to do and the only issues I have had have been caused by me.

Garry Coupland

Nov 25, 2013
Visit site
I should have said that the problem that is known to Tesco is the left side unresponsive issue.

On the issue of jumping out of the Kindle reader to the Tesco site, you may be doing what I find keeps happening to me, that I accidentally press on the "T" at the bottom left of the screen, and off I go to Tesco-land. Although you can easily enough get rid of the Tesco Widgets that come pre-installed on the Hudl, getting rid of that "T" is a different matter, and apparently needs the Hudl to be "rooted", which apart from anything else may (not sure about this) invalidate your warranty, and in any case is very iffy to do unless you really know what you are doing.

Rooting the Hudl is relatively easy..... Google for a program called Kingo Android Root... Just follow the instructions, it's surprisingly easy......

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
Rooting the Hudl is relatively easy..... Google for a program called Kingo Android Root... Just follow the instructions, it's surprisingly easy......

It's not the difficulty/ease of doing the rooting that concerns me, but the possible side-effects. :)

Incidentally, as to the Tesco "T", I have since been shown that it is easy (without rooting) to stop the "T" actually doing anything (other than clicking), so the only issue is its still being visible, which doesn't trouble me. It was the fact that when I accidentally touched the "T", which I did quite often because of its position, it would launch into a Tesco app, which I found disruptive and annoying.

Tony Collins2

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I have had a Hudl for a week, but live in France and have found it impossible to connect to my wfi or anyone else's. If you live outside the U.K a Hudle will probably not work and without the internet, it is a piece of equipment with no use whatsoever.

pebble99

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine was an Xmas present and fortunately I had it to set up today. At first AOK then I noticed problems with getting top corner touches to register and then in google couldn't get QWAZ side keys to register, turning it upright to portrait position everything worked but either way up when in Landscape position keys one end or the other when inverted were not working. Downloaded a notes app and proved it - when in portrait no problem, when in landscape problems furthest left keys No response. It's going back tomorrow, such a shame, loved the display but mainly the value for money, if it worked 100%
Pebble99

Lindypops

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
I've swapped my Hudl once already but, reading these reports, I realise I had the same problem (on this replacement too); sometimes the screen freezes, then I can't use the left hand side of the keyboard. It's a pain trying to fill in forms etc, booking flights etc so I too am taking mine back for a refund. Shame as it seemed great initially.

RogerHaxby

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Similar here. Sometimes no keyboard response, until sleep and wake with the power button. Not sure it's all buttons/areas on screen as well when this happens yet. It's a fault but one I will live with for now.

stanny27

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Can anybody help with a hdmi to tv problem on the hudl? When my hudl is connected to the tv the screen flickers on tv but not on the hudl? Tried changing the resolution but it still happens. Also tried changing the hdmi lead and tried on a different tv

Derek Gralewski

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
Like many other postings the bottom left of my Hudl screen doesn't work all of the time. I tried to return my Hudl within in hour of picking it up but it worked fine when I was in the store. The assistant told me that it was probably a calibration problem that was common and would probably resolve itself,he also suggested using a rubber stylus which does work a lot better.

jonny8ball8

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
Bought a Tesco Hudl for my wife for Christmas, unfortunately the left side of the screen didn't work. Took it back to the local store, as soon as the store assistant saw the box at the customer services desk he said, "left side of screen not working" he went on to explain that there was a fault with them and they had seen lots returned with exactly the same problem.

Despite this tesco policy is that you have to call customer services and get a code before they will exchange. I did this using the phone in the store. Despite the fact that I had the receipt confirming it had been purchased only a few days before with my debit card, and I had the card too, they insisted that I had to provide my name address and telephone number, and that they would do a factory reset. I told the lady that I wasn't happy with that given what the staff member had said and that I wanted a different type of tablet. I provided my details and she issued me with a code for a replacement. She said that the store would exchange for another hudl but an exchange for a different tablet or refund was at the stores discretion - ridiculous!!
In the end my wife said that she liked the look and feel of the hudl so decided to choose a different coloured one in the hope it would be ok. Unfortunately it is not, it has exactly the same problem, so we are back off to Tesco later to change it, either for the equivalent samsung or the kindle fire,(if they let us that is?)

Can anybody suggest which of those two are better.

bublhudl

Dec 31, 2013
Visit site
I bought one last week and couldn't get the microphone or headphone sockets to work I returned it and it was replaced without problems.
But the replacement also has problems with the speaker socket not working.
Does anybody else suffer with this?

Paul Mills2

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I bought one each for my kids at Christmas, so far they are getting on really well with them. But one keeps locking up, you will be playing a game and the left side of the screen stops working to touch, then all the screen stops working to touch. When you want to reboot you cant because you should push the button on the side which then asks you on screen to re-start / shut down, think this one maybe going back.
Anyone else had a same probs?????

RainKap

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I bought my wife a hudl for Christmas, and she has had some fun using it (even installed candycrush...), but has had four instances of the screen freezing (doesn't seem to be just the left side of the screen). Can't power off, because you need to tap the screen to confirm the power off; only way out seems to be a paper clip in the little hole at the back to do a hard reset, which sorts it out for a while... We'll keep monitoring it, and if it throws up any more instabnces it'll be on its way back tomorrow to the local Tesco Extra where I bought it. Maybe I should have laid out the extra for a Nexus 7...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34