1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card

I bought my kids two similar "nextbook" tablets. One works fine, the other has issues. I tried installing a game on the one and while installing the internet crashed. Since then, whenever I'm trying to install (some) apps, I get the error "couldn't install on USB storage or SD card". I've been searching the internet and came across numerous solutions, one being to unmount the SD card and install to internal memory. Tried that, didn't work. The other is to locate a file called smdl2tmp1.asec in one of two locations, /mnt/secure/asec or /sdcard/.android_secure. I can't find this file in either location by connecting to my Windows 7 PC and searching. I even rooted the tablet and searched with a terminal as root, but can't find anything. Mean-time I still get the error when trying to install apps. I should say that I install the same apps without any issues on the other tablet, so I'm sure that something got left behind when my internet crashed, but can't find anything.

Can anyone help please?

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Default Re: Couldn't install on USB storage or SD card

Quote Originally Posted by peachtree14 View Post
    I bought my kids two similar "nextbook" tablets. One works fine, the other has issues. I tried installing a game on the one and while installing the internet crashed. Since then, whenever I'm trying to install (some) apps, I get the error "couldn't install on USB storage or SD card". I've been searching the internet and came across numerous solutions, one being to unmount the SD card and install to internal memory. Tried that, didn't work. The other is to locate a file called smdl2tmp1.asec in one of two locations, /mnt/secure/asec or /sdcard/.android_secure. I can't find this file in either location by connecting to my Windows 7 PC and searching. I even rooted the tablet and searched with a terminal as root, but can't find anything. Mean-time I still get the error when trying to install apps. I should say that I install the same apps without any issues on the other tablet, so I'm sure that something got left behind when my internet crashed, but can't find anything.

Can anyone help please?
    Welcome to Android Central
    Do you know what Android version they are on? Apps2sd doesn't work very well after 4.0

Posted via Android Central App
    Everything in this post is 100% accurate...I think

R.I.P. Motorola...and what could have been the best smartphone line ever
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks. I'm on 4.1.1.

I'm not concerned about moving apps to the SD card, I'm having trouble installing them to internal memory. The tablet that's not having issues does not have an SD card at all, so I've removed the SD card out of the other one as well. In fact I've tried installing the app both with and without the SD card installed but neither way works.

I might be confusing you:

Tablet A - no SD card, installs apps fine.
    Tablet B - no SD card, can't install the same apps, comes up with the error in subject line.

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

Thanks. I'm on 4.1.1.

I'm not concerned about moving apps to the SD card, I'm having trouble installing them to internal memory. The tablet that's not having issues does not have an SD card at all, so I've removed the SD card out of the other one as well. In fact I've tried installing the app both with and without the SD card installed but neither way works.

I might be confusing you:

Tablet A - no SD card, installs apps fine.
    Tablet B - no SD card, can't install the same apps, comes up with the error in subject line.
    OK. I see now
    Hmm, have you tried a factory reset and seeing if the issue is fixed. I'd imagine you don't have much setup without being able to download apps so it shouldn't be hard to get it back to how it was

5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Yes I've tried doing a factory reset but that made no difference either. The tablet has internal NAND storage mounted and I suspect that a temporary file or something got stranded in there which is not being cleared by the factory reset, but I don't know how to look on the NAND storage.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I'm getting the feeling I'm not going to be able to fix this. So thinking outside the box.....

Seeing as I have two tablets, one that works and one that doesn't, is there a way for me to back up the one that does work, and then restore that image to the one that doesn't work?

Global Posts
    5,581 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.2 Build 3

I'm getting the feeling I'm not going to be able to fix this. So thinking outside the box.....

Seeing as I have two tablets, one that works and one that doesn't, is there a way for me to back up the one that does work, and then restore that image to the one that doesn't work?
    It's possible, but you'd need a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM to make nandroid backups

I have the same problem. Two ASUS tablets, one installs apps fine, the other does not. Neither has an SD card. I can't find that file, smdl2tmp1. I am going through both tablets trying to find some difference in a setting.
    ASUS model # ME172V
    Andriod version 4.1.1
    Kernal 3.0.8

I have the same problem too. I just flashed Carbon ROM for Samsung galaxy s advance, and it worked fine at first. Today it started showing me this error, and nothing worked to fix it. The thing is that, this message shows up only when I try to install a game. When I update/install other apps it works just fine. What should I do? Any ideas?