Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Question A couple of questions about new Android tablet

Hi, sorry to bother you great fellas and felletes, but I have a couple three or four questions about my Nextbook 8" tablet (Android 4.1.1 Kernel 3.0.8 Build JR003C.v009). Oh the model number is NX008HD8G.

1. a) Is there a way to have the wifi connection automaticall switch between two or three different WIFI networks? I see that it already switches from my network to my apartment buildings free WIFI network when I leave the range of my router, is there a way to have it autoswitch back?

b) If not, is there a way to put a shortcut to the connection on the home screen (desktop, whatever the Android term is) so I can switch it with one touch?

2. Is it safe to either remove or disable some of the pre-installed software if I do not use it? My main one is Google Chrome, I like it on my desktop computer, but not on the tablet and I use the Android browser. Another one I want to do away with is the pre-installed walmart and vudu apps.

3. Is a tablet as secure as my desktop computer? between my router and opendns i think i got most things covered. I hesitate to install anti-virus and other things like that on the tablet as I keep running out of space to do anything.

that's all for now, thank you for any help you can give me.

Default Re: A couple of questions about new Android tablet

Welcome to Android Central! I'm not sure if there's an easy way to do what you're asking in question #1. I think some devices may give you an option to pick a preferred network, but not all. Go to Settings>Wi-fi, select the network, and see if there are any Advanced Options for it.

You can almost always disable bloatware without problems. Chrome can be disabled without any issues. You probably can't uninstall those preinstalled apps if you're not rooted, though. Be careful about what you disable--for example, if you disable Download Manager, you may not be able to install apps.

Despite what certain Apple CEOs may say, Android is still pretty safe from malware, as long as you use common sense. Don't download and install apps from shady sites, and don't click on links in fishy popups. Google has stepped up its game in terms of security, scanning and verifying any app that you install. Antivirus apps often have some decent added functions (like antitheft features), but on the whole, they're becoming less necessary.

Default Re: A couple of questions about new Android tablet

I have the next book 8, first thing I did was delete the preinstalled apps if I had that option. Vudu is gone from my tablet. Then if I could I moved apps to the SD card. Disabled apps that I didn't use but couldn't uninstall. Also when downloading an app I try to keep the download below 10mb

Sent from my NX785QC8G using Tapatalk