Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I keep running out of memory on my Nextbook 8

I have a Nextbook 8 (4.1.1) and a Galaxy S4 (4.4.2) Both have 8 GB internal memory and a 32 GB SD card. On the Nextbook I keep having to clear the cache and when updating Apps I have to uninstall a few so I have enough memory to work with. I've moved all the apps I can to the internal SD card (I understand that is about 7GB of the 8 GB and the other GB is for the system.) Looking at the system I see the 1GB is nearly full but don't see how to see what is on it that I might be able to remove. I don't have any problem with the S4. Any suggestions?

Default Re: I keep running out of memory on my Nextbook 8

Let's make sure we're on the same page. The regular S4 (not the Mini) should have 16 GB of internal storage, of which around 7 GB are taken up by the OS, TouchWiz, and other bloatware, leaving a little over 8 GB available to the user. As far as I know, the regular S4 doesn't come in an 8 GB version.

The Nextbook 8 has 8 GB of internal storage, of which probably around 3-4 GB are taken up by the OS and bloatware. So the available internal storage to the user is probably around 4 GB. So it shouldn't be too surprising that the Nextbook runs out of storage sooner than the S4. Let me know if I'm getting this wrong.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

You are mostly correct - I erred with the S4 memory. The Nextbook divides the 8GB into 1 and 7 GB partitions. I believe the 7GB is what is used when I move an app to the SD card. I have plenty of room on the 7 GB part. Just can't seem to empty anything else out of the 1 GB partition.

The Nextbook's storage partitioning is what's getting you. The 1 GB partition is likely the app storage, while the 7 GB partition acts as an "Internal SD." App installation is primarily to the 1 GB partition, although portions of the app can be moved to the Internal SD. The problem is that the app has to be able to install first to the 1 GB partition, and if there isn't enough room for that initial install, you'll get a low memory warning.

See this guide for more info: [GUIDE] Android Memory and How to Deal with Low Memory Warnings