Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ryanr509
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited vs Straightalk

My Verizon bill runs $300+ per month. 3 android and i dumb phone. The android phones have grandfathered unlimited data. To add unlimited texting to the dumb phone is an extra $30.00.

Should I just dump verizon and start using a prepaid carrier? I would use Google Voice so I don't care how often my numbers change. I'm considering Straightalk and buying the Goog Gnex. I already run the Verizon Gnex, dInk2, Razor, and the dumb phone.

I've been with Verizon since the mid '90's so switching carriers may be a bit of a pia for me.

Joey
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,193 Global Posts

It's up to you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by joeybcdt View Post
    My Verizon bill runs $300+ per month. 3 android and i dumb phone. The android phones have grandfathered unlimited data. To add unlimited texting to the dumb phone is an extra $30.00.

Should I just dump verizon and start using a prepaid carrier? I would use Google Voice so I don't care how often my numbers change. I'm considering Straightalk and buying the Goog Gnex. I already run the Verizon Gnex, dInk2, Razor, and the dumb phone.

I've been with Verizon since the mid '90's so switching carriers may be a bit of a pia for me.

Joey
    If your a heavy data user then strait talk may not work for you. I have your research you will find that they do cap you. Pending on where you live tmo has a good prepaid service. Providing in your area they have good service.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    If any of my posts help you don't forget to thank/like it!!

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Default Re: Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited vs Straightalk

Here is a great read on Strait Talk.

Also keep in mind ANY locked ATT/Tmo phone will work right out of the box. Not LTE though.
    HTC One (ATT GSM)
    Palm Pre- > HTC Evo 3D > HTC One X (White) > Samsung Galaxy S3 (White) > HTC One (Silver)
    Thanked by:

I say if money is tight, consider your options!. i just dumped Verizon yesterday, sold my Gnex and Razr and bought a GSM nexus for $300 in good condition from Craigslist. I got on Tmobiles Walmart plan for $30 a month plus Unlimited Text and Unlimited Data (well 5GB then they reduce). I couldnt be happier, granted, its only been a day but so far Tmobiles HSPA+/3G is doing a good job in my area. I was over paying Verizon and got sick of it, was affraid to leave my grandfathered unlimited data but I did it....no regrets. Also, going GSM is so much better! it was an easy decision for me!

Also wanted to add....I am a heavy data user but now that i got a new iPod and ipad to stream most of my podcast, YouTube and Netflix (im heavy on all 3 of those) and having 5GB of data on tap I should have more than enough left. hell I can probably get by using less than 2GB of data since i got great wifi at home and at work. i was a heavy data user cause i stream alot but with the help of my ipod/ipad i can see myself using alot less data on the Nexus.

Global Posts
    847 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I just bought a unlocked International HTC One X, and it should be here next week. My contract on Verizon ends on 9/16 and I plan on cutting the service asap and having my phone in hand, Straight Talk sim in place, ready to activate on my way out of the Verizon store. I'll keep you all up to date when the time comes.
    "In valor, there is hope."

I dropped Verizon sold my razr bout a galaxy note and use it on straight talk. No problems so far att coverage and data speed is great. And going from $100 to $45 a month is nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    cgardnervt likes this.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Great to hear guys! I plan to do this soon. I just wanted to start off with att. I plan to go prepaid later this year!
    HTC One (ATT GSM)

Global Posts
    1,279 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by bkorver View Post
    I just bought a unlocked International HTC One X, and it should be here next week. My contract on Verizon ends on 9/16 and I plan on cutting the service asap and having my phone in hand, Straight Talk sim in place, ready to activate on my way out of the Verizon store. I'll keep you all up to date when the time comes.
    I'm looking for the same phone. What would be the model number I would be looking for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    270 Global Posts
    ROM

Quote Originally Posted by anthony2558 View Post
    I'm looking for the same phone. What would be the model number I would be looking for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I hear his will be for sale soon... say, Monday?
    Bryan
    Curve 8530 > OG Droid > DInc 2 > OG Storm > Droid Pro > Droid 3 > Droid RAZR > Galaxy SII > Nexus 4

Let me know if you guys that switch to straight talk get any problems for going above 100mb per day or 2gb a month

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Last Ride View Post
    I hear his will be for sale soon... say, Monday?

I know you may know this but it will be on sale Nov 13th.

There you have it! I'd get the 16gig as its only $50 more! (Note: NO SD CARD! ><)
    HTC One (ATT GSM)

Quote Originally Posted by roblox84 View Post
    Let me know if you guys that switch to straight talk get any problems for going above 100mb per day or 2gb a month

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    No problems here. I usually go above 3gb per month and haven't had any warnings.this is so far what I've used for one month and it ends on November 4th. 2.5gb so far with no problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited vs Straightalk-uploadfromtaptalk1351760923092.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    KHZJ97 

You're lucky. I hit a bit over 3gb a few days ago and BAM!! they throttled me down to 0.24mbps. I called and they deny it. They say it is att that is doing it.

I was experimenting, to see if I could live with straight talk and give up my unlimited data with Verizon. Guess not!

My straight talk account is do for refill on 12/22, but I'm not going to do it. Gonna let it die and sell this phone. Later if Verizon kills my unlimited data, I might try again.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

That's why I'm with Sprint though

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited vs Straightalk-uploadfromtaptalk1355555740903.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by zrxoa1 View Post
    You're lucky. I hit a bit over 3gb a few days ago and BAM!! they throttled me down to 0.24mbps. I called and they deny it. They say it is att that is doing it.
    Why would they lie to you? That makes no sense.

Default Verizon Grandfathered Unlimited vs Straightalk

Quote Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
    Why would they lie to you? That makes no sense.
    Well, I would not be the first they lied to. I don't believe AT&T has any way to throttle me if I am using a straight talk sim. That leaves straight talk. No matter now. I sold the Nexus 4 and am just going to keep with Verizon for now.

Sent from my tricked out iPhone 4 while my Rezound charges!!!