Droid Pro on Straight Talk?

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
So I'm in a bit of a jihad with my girlfriend over switching phones/service. She hates learning new phones, and I was able to switch her from BlackBerry to Android with her Droid Pro. I understand that as a Verizon phone, it primarily operates on CDMA. But it's also a Global phone with a SIM card. It would be great if I could get this phone unlocked and just take it with me over to ST. Does anyone know if this can be done? It would save me money over having to buy another phone, but more importantly, it would save my GF from acclimating to another phone! Any help is greatly appreciated.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Just use your best Peter Griffin voice and say, "WOMAN! I have SPOKEN!!!" That's what I do...

(Don't show Mary this post)

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of Peter Griffin, we just got back from seeing Ted. Funny movie! And the answer to my question is yes, apparently there IS a way to use the Pro on Straight Talk. Stay tuned....

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I believe u can get service on Verizon's towers thru Straight Talk. U would not be able to use the phone on American GSM carriers like AT&T or T-Mo. Its only unlocked for international GSM.

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I believe u can get service on Verizon's towers thru Straight Talk. U would not be able to use the phone on American GSM carriers like AT&T or T-Mo. Its only unlocked for international GSM.

They're phasing out their Verizon support. You can only get AT&T or T-Mobile SIM cards from them. That said, I have something cooking to not only use the Pro's Global capabilities on ST, but the RAZR's as well. Time will tell....

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
They're phasing out their Verizon support. You can only get AT&T or T-Mobile SIM cards from them. That said, I have something cooking to not only use the Pro's Global capabilities on ST, but the RAZR's as well. Time will tell....

Yeah, u can't bring ur own device for their cdma services anyway, so its moot. I know there are devs that have gotten world phones like Sprint's Motorola Photon working with At&t sims at 3g speeds, and T-Mo with 2g only (correct me if I'm wrong), but that's seems like it's more trouble than it's worth IMO. If u have an easy way, then by all means go for it.

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Oh no, by no means is the way I'm trying easy, but I'm fond of saving money as well as sleeping in my own bed.... I'll report my results, but my girlfriend is more interested in keeping her phone than data speeds. I'm still going to try for a Galaxy Nexus or the next iteration, but this should hold me over for a bit.

afranko22

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site

They just came out with the 720C and our tracfone rep had seen theCDMA-V slide out keyboard Droid.

Sent from my Verizon Droid Razr Maxx

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
I think it depends on where you are. As an example, when I punch in the zip code of where my daughter lives, so I can dump Verizon comletely, it gives me as my only option several cdma phones and verizon service. Evidently AT&T and T-Mo have very little presence in Northwest Iowa. I punch in the zip for where I live, and I can bring my own phone, as long as it is banded to run on AT&T and T-Mo. There is no CDMA option to be found.

If I had to fancy a guess, I would guess that Verizon is probably the most expensive carrier to contract for and Straight Talk only uses them where there is no other work around...

EPiKCST

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm... just picked up a Droid Pro for the wife the other night. She loves the phone. Unfortunately we are on Family Mobile (Tmobile thru WalMart..) so there is no possibility of using this phone apparently for us?

Really newb question.. rooting doesnt affect/unlock the phone? My Captivate Galaxy S I bought last year when I joined here I rooted and am running Gingerbread UCKK4..it was an AT&T phone, and I'm on Tmobile..etc...so I thought that the root is how I unlocked it??? :-\

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmmmm... just picked up a Droid Pro for the wife the other night. She loves the phone. Unfortunately we are on Family Mobile (Tmobile thru WalMart..) so there is no possibility of using this phone apparently for us?

Really newb question.. rooting doesnt affect/unlock the phone? My Captivate Galaxy S I bought last year when I joined here I rooted and am running Gingerbread UCKK4..it was an AT&T phone, and I'm on Tmobile..etc...so I thought that the root is how I unlocked it??? :-\

You CAN get the Droid Pro to work with AT&T/T-Mobile SIM cards. I'm not sure if the topic is appropriate for the open forum, but if you want to PM me, I can outline the process as I understand it. Rooting does not "unlock" the phone in the way that you're thinking. It simply grants administrative rights. To "unlock" the GSM radios simply means to "activate" or make the radios available for use. Verizon will give you the code to unlock the GSM radios for international use, but they specifically block use of AT&T and T-Mobile SIM cards. But as I said earlier, there is a way around that.

DijPro

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hello. I need you to tell me the process of how you got your Droid Pro to work on Straight Talk. I'm going to do the same thing. No details are too TMI! Please and thank you

Last Ride

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I keep getting pm's about this topic even though I abandoned it when my girlfriend refused to switch to prepaid. Anyway, while researching this topic, I came across a zip from a project called The Black Hat. It supposedly allowed for a GSM unlock on the DROID 2 Global as well as the DROID Pro. If you Google "TBH GSM Band Unlock" you should be able to find the zip. Your phone will need to be rooted to flash the zip in Cwm. As I said, I have not tried out an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM, but I did flash the zip, and it did not adversely affect the phone. I hope this helps!

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Okay, I keep getting pm's about this topic even though I abandoned it when my girlfriend refused to switch to prepaid. Anyway, while researching this topic, I came across a zip from a project called The Black Hat. It supposedly allowed for a GSM unlock on the DROID 2 Global as well as the DROID Pro. If you Google "TBH GSM Band Unlock" you should be able to find the zip. Your phone will need to be rooted to flash the zip in Cwm. As I said, I have not tried out an AT&T or T-Mobile SIM, but I did flash the zip, and it did not adversely affect the phone. I hope this helps!

How about laymen's terms???

Verizon bad men. They no like phone you buy with them on other American carrier.

Black hatted men cowboys. They yehaw illegal way to bypass bed men decision. Must know flash to do. Smoke signal optional.

*sigh* It was pretty clear in the OP. If you have to ask maybe you are not ready?

The file gets installed from your recovery mode. It changes your antenna software so you can then use the (supposed to only be for foreign travel) SIM slot with a US carrier SIM. There are currently some legal issues performing this type of unlock without Verizon's express permission...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781