Best visual voicemail on Straight Talk

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
We're transitioning from an iPhone 4 on AT&T to a Galaxy Nexus on Straight Talk (ST). We miss visual voice-mail. Which one are you using and what are the pros and cons? Currently we're evaluating YouMail; it seems OK, but not great. The major complaint is that it keeps nagging us that we haven't entered personal data into their profile. Why do they need it?
Pete

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Having read some posts else where from ST customers... Don't go to ST. According to their Terms of Service you are Not allowed to stream music or video via their mobile data network... No YouTube, No Pandora, No Skype. You can only use those types of services via Wi-Fi

~??>Sent from my HTC Evo Design<??~

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Having read some posts else where from ST customers... Don't go to ST. According to their Terms of Service you are Not allowed to stream music or video via their mobile data network... No YouTube, No Pandora, No Skype. You can only use those types of services via Wi-Fi

~?•>Sent from my HTC Evo Design<•?~
We're already with ST, but keeping an open mind about alternatives. Being retired, we're budget conscious. What alternatives can you recommend on either AT&T or T-mobile networks?
Pete
PS we currently pay ST $42/month by buying 90 day refill cards on walmart.com

---------- Post Merged at 05:55 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:54 AM ----------

Use Google Voice

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Thanks. How does that work? Must I port my number to google voice? Is there a cost?
Pete

ThePurpleAndroid

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Boost (Sprint)... after 2Years I'm down to $40 a month on their Shrinkage plan, which is rumored to be done away with to make room for family plan... But just a rumor still. You can only use Boost branded devices. I'm pretty well happy with Boost, but every company has their horror stories. But if you are comfortable where you are... stick to what you know and what works best for you.

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site

Having actually been a Straight Talk customer for a while now, I know the TOS says no streaming, but ACTUALL experience has allowed me to stream YouTube, Pandora, and yes, Skype with no issues whatsoever. The sky has not fallen. I think the lawyers put that in there as an excuse to kick people off who obviously abuse the service, not for average consumers.

Thanks. How does that work? Must I port my number to google voice? Is there a cost?
Pete

Just download the app and set it up. No need to port your number to use the voicemail function and it is free.

flroots

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Just download the app and set it up. No need to port your number to use the voicemail function and it is free.
Thanks. I just looked at Google Voice and it appears that I have to apply for a number with them and that's the number that people would call, rather than my own. Actually, I'm looking for a way to use my existing number. Did I get that right?
Pete

Last edited:

bkorver

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
No, when people call your existing number, google voice will take the message and even transcribe it. That number google voice gives you is what others will see if you use google voice to make calls. You don't have to set that up to use the voicemail features. Google voice has a ton of features you will never use. Just know that when you set up your existing number and ask google voice to be the answering service for that number, you will have the best visual voice mail available on straight talk.

chestont

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No, when people call your existing number, google voice will take the message and even transcribe it. That number google voice gives you is what others will see if you use google voice to make calls. You don't have to set that up to use the voicemail features. Google voice has a ton of features you will never use. Just know that when you set up your existing number and ask google voice to be the answering service for that number, you will have the best visual voice mail available on straight talk.

I've been looking at switching over from a Sprint NS4G to a Nexus 4 on ST with an At&t sim, any issues with using Google Voice as the primary text messaging app?

roblox84

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site

I've Google "kicked off straight talk" and there really isn't much about being kicked off

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dwd3885

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Does Google Voice actually work on prepaid? I've read conflicting reports..I'd like to keep my existing number (not Google Voice) and have Google Voice Mail handle all my voice mail, whether people call my NON GV number or my GV number.

bblaze

Android Powered Human
Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Does Google Voice actually work on prepaid? I've read conflicting reports..I'd like to keep my existing number (not Google Voice) and have Google Voice Mail handle all my voice mail, whether people call my NON GV number or my GV number.

I can confirm that google voice works on prepaid. I'm using gv to handle all of my calls and messaging. Granted I've ported my number through them, but it does work just fine. I'm on straight talk, btw.

Sent from my Samsung Proclaim using the AC forums app.

kokopuffs0828

Aug 21, 2015
Visit site
I just tried to use Google Voice on my unlocked AT&T Note 1 phone that I use with Straight Talk. The steps I took after downloading the app was answering the questions about making calls or not, then setting up the voicemail. After trying to configure the voicemail, I get an error message stating: Forwarding number change failed.

Do I need to go through any settings on my unlocked device or with Straight Talk to make GV work?

Kathleen Russell1

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem. When I put in the code to activate, I get "MMI code started", then after a couple of seconds I'll get an error message saying
"Couldn't get server response"... did u fix ur problem yet?

Posted via the Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress