Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    662 Global Posts

Default Google Voice work on Prepaid?

Does Google Voice actually work on prepaid? I've read conflicting reports..I'd like to keep my existing number (not Google Voice) and have Google Voice Mail handle all my voice mail, whether people call my NON GV number or my GV number.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Default Re: Google Voice work on Prepaid?

Yes GV can work on prepaid without any issues. Including the VM options as well.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    662 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Yes GV can work on prepaid without any issues. Including the VM options as well.
    sweet thank you!

I have not been able to get GV voice mail to work on T-Mobile pre-pay plan. GV says not compatible!

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    What services have you successfully used GV VM on?

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

I currently use Virgin Mobile. The GV app works well. I have my VM phone number set to ring for all calls that go to my GV number. My GV number is the only one I give out now.

The only feature I have not been able to use/figure out is conditional call forwarding, so that someone who calls my old phone number will ring through to my GV voice mail. I think conditional call forwarding is just not an option for VM. Can anyone confirm this for their prepaid carriers as well?

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

the only prepaid carrier I've heard of that has working conditional call forwarding is Straight Talk but someone can correct me if I've heard wrong. I also use GV as my main voicemail which is one reason I went with T-mobile Value along with a corporate discount rather than prepaid.

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android Jelly Bean

Yep, no conditional call forwarding on T-Mo prepaid, thus no GV voicemail for the handset number. Basically, you have to go "all-in" with GV.

Straight Talk (AT&T or T-Mo MVNO, you pick the SIM card) does conditional call forwarding and I believe Solavei (T-Mo MVNO) does as well. As far as the other prepaid MVNOs are concerned, I'm not totally sure.

Straight Talk is $45/mo for unlimited talk/text and "unlimited" web (they don't clearly define what "unlimited" really means and they can cut you off if they find your data usage "abusive"). $15 for the SIM card, I think. You pick an AT&T or T-Mo SIM card (whichever network is better for you) when you sign up.

Solavei is sold through an MLM (multi-level marketing) platform. You don't necessarily have to sell anything and you can simply be a "service-only" member if you want. $49/mo gets you unlimited talk/text and 4GB of high-speed HSPA+ data (throttled to 2G/EDGE thereafter). But they do charge $49 for a SIM (but sometimes run promos that waive that fee, I hear) and there's a $49 activation/enrollment fee as well. But in the long term, it seems to be a pretty good deal. I've been pondering switching from T-Mo prepaid (I'm currently on their $60 plan) myself. The other catch: you have to be "sponsored" by another Solavei member to enroll.

I can't get Google voice to work on my galaxy note running a straight talk AT&T sim card

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    162 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Android Jelly Bean

Quote Originally Posted by ryanr509 View Post
    I can't get Google voice to work on my galaxy note running a straight talk AT&T sim card
    What's not working on GV for you?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChunk View Post
    What's not working on GV for you?
    I can't see anywhere that says compose message. So I don't the option to even write anything or enter a number at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Android Central Forums