Has anyone been throttled by Net10 at less than 2GB?

whitenack

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I currently have AT&T and I am looking for an alternative.

I use very little minutes, 0 text messages (all google voice) and currently live within my 200MB data cap. 90% of my day is connected to wifi, so I don't need much data, but on vacations or rare occaisions I would love the ability to use however much I wish. Even so, I don't think I would ever use more than 2gb per month.

I like the thought of Ting Mobile, because according to my current usage my phone bill would be about $40-50 for 2 lines. I haven't seen anyone that can beat this price. Even if I use a lot more minutes and a lot more data, I don't see myself spending more than $90 or so per month for both lines.

However, I worry about Sprint's network. AT&T is the dominant network here (I live in rural KY). I get 4G speeds just about wherever go. Sprint isn't very good here, and there are even problems getting a voice signal inside my building. Then again, I don't use voice hardly at all, so it isn't that big of a deal. What is a big deal to me is being able to stream audio (Pandora) and video (youtube) on the rare occasions I am away from wifi. I worry that Sprint's 3G speeds won't be fast enough to handle these apps without buffering.

On the other hand, I worry about Net10's language in the ToS that state that ANY streaming of audio and video files are strictly prohibited. In other words, you aren't allowed to use pandora or youtube at all, at least on the mobile network. That is crazy.

Does anyone know if this is actually enforced, or only for those that exceed a certain usage amount, like 2GB? For example, if I were to keep my monthly data usage under 1GB, but some of that was pandora and youtube, do you think they would throttle my speeds? Or, is that just the excuse they give to heavy users as to why they are being throttled?

VetteDude

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is totally rebuilding their whole network. If I were you, I would buy the cheapest Ting phone (Currently the refurbished Samsung Transform) and activate it for a month and see if you like it. If you don't, sell the phone and cancel. If you like it, get a better phone and continue service.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae