Did Strait Talk drop att?

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Let's keep this thread updated, hopefully :)

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
+1 to that! I'd like to watch this as well.

Unfortunately, Net 10 only has T mobile Sims available as well.

Also good to know. I wonder if they are in fact dropping att as whole. Sucks IMO because I have no Tmo is my area. I was thinking about ST after my contract ends.

If Straight Talk drops AT&T then I am screwed. Tmobile works fine in my area except I can't pick up a signal in the building where I work.

The one hell about Tmo! Coverage! But if your forced to to with Tmo they have an internet plan that's $30 a month for 100 minutes, Unlimited text & 5gigs of data! Check it out and save even more if your forced into using Tmo.

gn2moab

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
The ST AT&T Sim I got from Walmart works great so far. About 5m/1.5m speeds leaving the proxy settings blank. Last I checked they still had them, just don't order the package, get the Sim only so order will go through

deathbysnoosnoo

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly what I did - just bought the SIM online from Wal-Mart. It was delivered in two days.

When I tried to order the SIM with the first months service they cancelled my order.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

siczek.p

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Got my straight talk SIM kit from a vending machine at MSP yesterday. It came with three SIM cards but only the att card was micro so I used that one and activated with no issue.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sashacell

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Straight talk att micro sim available through walmart.com again. Just checked online also net 10 available.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Android Central Forums

thunder2132

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Last week Net10 announced that they'd have a hard cap of 1.5GB on AT&T's network. As Straight Talk is on the same network the article I read was assuming that it'd carry over to them as well.

AT&T sims are again not available on Straight Talk's website, and are marked as "Not Available Online" on Walmart.com. I ordered a ST AT&T micro sim from walmart and they sent me a full sized sim. I cut it, and activated it last night. In my local area I get about 13Mbps with T-Mobile, an about 5-7 with AT&T. The problem with TMo is definitely coverage as I can drop a call driving home from work, and have no coverage at my family's house, my in-law's house, or their family cottage. AT&T offers full 3.5G at all of those places.

swartzz

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I need an AT&T sim for sraight talk and just realized that neither straight talk nor walmart still has the sim cards in stock, so how can one get their hands on this sim? kinda sucks, especially considering that i have a straight talk AT&T service already and just need a new sim. T-mobile is not an option, due to coverage in my area...Any advice?

Slender Troll

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
I need an AT&T sim for sraight talk and just realized that neither straight talk nor walmart still has the sim cards in stock, so how can one get their hands on this sim? kinda sucks, especially considering that i have a straight talk AT&T service already and just need a new sim. T-mobile is not an option, due to coverage in my area...Any advice?

eBay should have one

Sent from my Nexus 4/Nexus 7

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site

Or switch to net10.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy SIII

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Or switch to net10.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy S3

Just went on Net10's site and the only option they have for a SIM is T-Mobile now. Since I'm in a 2G T-Mobile area (Midcoast Maine), guess I'll have to keep checking.

EDIT: Found a Net10 SIM on Target's web site, but it only says "On America's Most Reliable Networks".

kmsprincess

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
People, Straight Talk did not drop AT&T; it's the other way around - AT&T dropped Straight Talk.

The reasons include the following:
1.) AT&T was losing a lot of customers to ST.
2.) AT&T had an error in their billing system that allowed people to basically get a phone on contract with AT&T and then switch to a Straight Talk AT&T SIM, effectively getting out of their contract, but without incurring an early termination fee.

Possible outcomes are that AT&T will fix their billing system and then resume business with ST, or AT&T will not resume business with ST but will **** off consumers as a result and still lose customers but without making money from a contract with ST. AT&T is going to lose out either way, luckily, which will probably eventually force them to offer unsubsidized phones with lower contract fees. That will be the only way they can earn back their lost business. Same thing will happen with the other major carriers such as Verizon. We can all thank Google for starting this trend as their vision for Android was to have unlocked devices that weren't carrier-specific and drive down the cost of the phones to actually market competitive prices to give consumers a choice. Of course, this isn't all out of the goodness of their hearts, this is part of their strategy to get more loyal customers and compete with Iphone. Either way, Google has my vote because this will be good for consumers in the long run.

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
People, Straight Talk did not drop AT&T; it's the other way around - AT&T dropped Straight Talk.

The reasons include the following:
1.) AT&T was losing a lot of customers to ST.
2.) AT&T had an error in their billing system that allowed people to basically get a phone on contract with AT&T and then switch to a Straight Talk AT&T SIM, effectively getting out of their contract, but without incurring an early termination fee.

Possible outcomes are that AT&T will fix their billing system and then resume business with ST, or AT&T will not resume business with ST but will **** off consumers as a result and still lose customers but without making money from a contract with ST. AT&T is going to lose out either way, luckily, which will probably eventually force them to offer unsubsidized phones with lower contract fees. That will be the only way they can earn back their lost business. Same thing will happen with the other major carriers such as Verizon. We can all thank Google for starting this trend as their vision for Android was to have unlocked devices that weren't carrier-specific and drive down the cost of the phones to actually market competitive prices to give consumers a choice. Of course, this isn't all out of the goodness of their hearts, this is part of their strategy to get more loyal customers and compete with Iphone. Either way, Google has my vote because this will be good for consumers in the long run.

Ehh....How did they get a phone on contract then just bail with no ETF? You have me lost here. Please give more information. :)

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ehh....How did they get a phone on contract then just bail with no ETF? You have me lost here. Please give more information. :)

LOL a glitch in their database most likely. Since the IMEI was still hitting their network for service (albeit through ST) they couldn't tell the phone was gone...

OK peeps, I was a pretty darn loyal ST user for 12 months with an AT&T compatible SIM.

But the last two months saw my data slowing to a crawl at the end of each billing cycle (like the last 10 days)... 3 minutes to get a manual refresh on a gmail box is unacceptable. I'm no longer a ST user and they burned my loyalty. Especially after the disaster last autumn when data kept going out and you had to toggle airplane mode on and off to reestablish a data connection and that went on for weeks while they "updated equipment."

This creeping data thing was the straw that broke the camel's back. They can bring back AT&T compatibility anytime they want, but I'm still gone...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci