straight talk

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
They do for sure. Andrew Martonik was just falsely throttled this month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
No documented limits, but yes, they absolutely throttle. I hit about 2.3GB of averaging 3.5-7Mbps down and now I can't even crack 0.45Mbps down at any time of the day.

SRR500

May 31, 2011
Visit site
I haven't hit any limits yet, but I don't know how much data I actually use per day/month. How do you guys find this information?

chunkcohen

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I haven't hit any limits yet, but I don't know how much data I actually use per day/month. How do you guys find this information?

If you're running ICS (Android 4.0) or above on your handset, you can actually check your data usage (as recorded by the handset) by going to Settings --> Data Usage.

SRR500

May 31, 2011
Visit site
If you're running ICS (Android 4.0) or above on your handset, you can actually check your data usage (as recorded by the handset) by going to Settings --> Data Usage.

I'm using the Verizon network so I'm limited to the phones that they offer. All of them run Gingerbread.

I suppose there is an app for tracking data use but I just haven't taken the time to look for one yet.

clockcycle

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
Straight talk themselves DO NOT throttle. AT&T does. And it is totally random. Once throttled straight talk will claim you've been flagged for violation of their data policy and will continue to be throttled until your next refill. Rarely can they help by re-provisioning your data. But most reps can't or won't help.

I'm not speculating, its happened to me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Verizon network so I'm limited to the phones that they offer. All of them run Gingerbread.

I suppose there is an app for tracking data use but I just haven't taken the time to look for one yet.

Your usage should be available online or Verizon has an Android app called "my Verizon" that used to have a widget that would shoe you your usage, updated daily.

I didn't reinstall it after getting ICS, so I don't know its current state but it used to be handy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Straight talk themselves DO NOT throttle. AT&T does. And it is totally random. Once throttled straight talk will claim you've been flagged for violation of their data policy and will continue to be throttled until your next refill. Rarely can they help by re-provisioning your data. But most reps can't or won't help.

I'm not speculating, its happened to me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

How much data had you used when you were throttled?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Bratigan

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I just used 800 megs in 5 days and got a message telling me that they were going to terminate my service if I didn't use less data.
I live in no mans land and yet they claim I am damaging the network. I think they are just bs control freaks. The usage was
on the overnight shift as well when everyone is asleep. My feeling is yes they will throttle you.

How can they legally claim an unlimited service with such blockage and terminations?

Last edited:

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
I just used 800 megs in 5 days and got a message telling me that they were going to terminate my service if I didn't use less data.
I live in no mans land and yet they claim I am damaging the network. I think they are just bs control freaks. The usage was
on the overnight shift as well when everyone is asleep. My feeling is yes they will throttle you.

How can they legally claim an unlimited service with such blockage and terminations?

800 megs in 5 days is a lot. However their service is cheap and it is for a reason. Limitations. I'd look at ATT directly if you use that much data. 450 minutes + 3gigs of data + Google voice to make your texts unlimited VIA your data plan will cost you $62.75 per month. Or add more data if you think you need more.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was on Straight Talk with an AT&T compatible SIM... Which they no longer have. There must be a problem between ST and AT&T. I was throttled for the last (approx) 10 days of the billing cycle for the last two months I was with ST. Month one I was close to 2GB, but month two my data use was pretty modest. It made no difference. $45 a month is a bargain, but not if you are existing on the network at someone's whim for how your service will be treated.

Straight Talk no longer has the AT&T SIM, why would they have interest in supporting it? If there is a fight between ST and AT&T why would AT&T allow ST users on their network at full status? I truly felt like I was between a rock and a hard place.

I switched over to T-Mobile and their new Simple Choice plan. Data speeds have been very good.

When I first switched over I was using a Galaxy Nexus which has the 1700 MHz band onboard and is HSDPA 21 mbps capable. Using the SpeedTest.net app I hit the following marks.

Download...............Upload...............Ping
9.77 mbps...............2.23 mbps........104 ms
7.65 mbps...............2.05 mbps...........99 ms
10.75 mbps.............2.13 mbps...........86 ms

Since I have a phone problem (Hi, my name is Robert and I'm a phone addict) I got the Micro-SIM on sign up and had it in the GNex with a SIM adapter. I just knew I would have to get a Nexus 4. I knew I wouldn't be able to help myself. So the Nexus 4 came in and I've been using that. It also has 1700 MHz and is HSDPA 42 mbps capable. Last night the SpeedTest.net app hit the following marks.

Download...............Upload...............Ping
14.46 mbps...............2.26 mbps........71 ms
17.47 mbps...............2.22 mbps..........82 ms

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
There's a LOT of problems with TracFone and AT&T right now. I've been keeping track of this ever since this crap started. There are rumors and people claiming things but it's nothing more than speculation.

Now, there are currently two issues with ST and AT&T:
1. ST has no AT&T sim cards.
2. ST is throttling AT&T users for no reason.

I'll address them separately with as much information as I can find.

Issue 1
This all started when the Nexus 4 went back in stock on Google Play. So many people jumped ship from other carriers to Straight Talk that ST ran out of AT&T cards. No one pulled them, no one told them to stop selling, they actually ran out of stock. The reason why they didn't run out of T-Mobile is because T-Mobile doesn't have as much coverage as AT&T does. T-Mobile simply doesn't work in as many places so AT&T was the best bet for quite a few people. However, they haven't replenished their supply for whatever reason.

Those reasons range from a possibility of a lot of things:

A. TracFone is slowly moving to T-Mobile and is using Straight Talk, one of their most popular GSM MVNOs, to start it on. Thus, they don't need the SIMs anymore.

B. AT&T is refusing to supply with more cards simply because they would rather not have more prepaid customers as they are losing customers to Straight Talk, Net10, and other MVNOs that simply use AT&T's towers.

C. AT&T is upset with the fact that ST is lying about having unlimited data when they should have a hard cap of 1.5GB - 2GB/mo, they have ETF amnesty, and Walmart (and ST) are selling the GSM unlocked iPhone 5 with 0% financing.

D. AT&T is running out of space for 3G and once they start getting more LTE, they can give cards to ST so that we can use the 3G.

Any one of these could be it.

AT&T owns a lot of stake in America Movil, the company that owns TracFone so they technically own ST as well as Walmart. So I don't see them trying to get rid of the MVNO.

However, this leads us to issue 2...

Issue 2
TracFone is not happy with AT&T since they throttled Net10 for no reason. They haven't given TracFone a reason, they just throttled them and that's that. This does NOT apply to Straight Talk. However, there are ST reps on Facebook confusing ST with Net10, claiming that ST has a cap of 1.5GB/mo. This is not true as it's still officially "unlimited" data. and it has not changed.

Though, Straight Talk has started to throttle users for no reason. Even if they've never done anything wrong. Some people who call ST or talk to them on Facebook are told that Straight Talk no longer supports AT&T. This is coming straight from the reps. No one is denying or confirming this so no one knows the truth there.

Some are claiming that Straight Talk is trying to force their AT&T users away to T-Mobile. It's actually been said that TracFone is tired of AT&T's crap and wants to move over to T-Mobile permanently for their BYOD plans. I'd say this is speculation, but at this point, it's looking like the truth.

People are even starting to sue ST for bait and switch. Their argument is that they advertise not only unlimited data BUT the same data you get on AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint. However, with throttling, this makes your data "limited" via the throttle, making it completely unusable.

There are also rumors that it's AT&T controlling the throttling and ST no longer has control. That AT&T is doing this simply because they don't want anyone on prepaid anymore.

As for America Movil, the company that owns TracFone (and thus Straight Talk, Net10, and other TracFone based MVNOs), they are currently being investigated by the Mexican government due to the huge monopoly they have in Mexico. The shares of the company have started to fall and the company is starting to buy back shares.

America Movil 2010 Mexico Dominance Ruling Upheld by Agency - Bloomberg
Slim's America Movil slumps as Mexico advances with reform | Reuters
Mexico's Carlos Slim increases stake in America Movil: SEC filing | Reuters

America Movil (and ST by default) is in some major trouble, it seems.

All in all, this is one big cluster---- and I don't see it getting better. If you're throttled, here is a list of AT&T MVNOs to go to:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_operators

Keep in mind, these towers use AT&T's prepaid while Straight Talk actually uses AT&T postpaid. Your service will go down considerably.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes straight talk throttles and lately they are getting very aggressive at it. They won't give you a straight answer as far as what the cap is and transfer people who ask about it to a different "department" which is really just a recorded message with tips about conserving data (mostly common sense but much more applicable to older palm and blackberry devices on an EDGE network not a modern HSPA + network) and refer you to sections 6 and 7 of their TOS. Also sometimes they actually suspend data until your next airtime refil.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
There are people who say they can apologize and have it turned back on but the apparent best way to get it fixed is their Facebook.

Right now, the best thing to do is leave America Movil all together. Red Pocket would be the next best thing as they have nothing to do with them. However, as I said, they're prepaid AT&T signal, not post like America Movil can afford. You wouldn't have as good of coverage or signal strength.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Petitions are nice and cuddly... They also take a lot of time to see any change take effect.

You're not on contract so vote with your $$$. 's'what I done did. Couldn't be happier. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad