Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Ting Mobile review - great!

So I finally decided to make the switch to Ting Mobile after jumping around different no-contract plans for a few months. Some caveats about my experience: I've only used them for one month. And I'm not comparing to a contract experience. All my phone service has been limited to no contact.

So far the experience has been great! Getting set up was a breeze. Ting offers a Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) option and that's what I went with. All the BYOD phones are Sprint, and Ting is a Sprint MVNO. They don't have a wide range of BYOD devices now, but it is decent enough. You can choose from a lowly Optimus S to a dual core Evo 3D to a Nexus S.

Right now Im using the Optimus S. These reliable budget phones are fairly common on Craigslist. I purchased mine, purple colored, for just $25. Followed the instructions on BYOD website, and 24 hours later I was making calls.

My biggest reason for choosing Ting is that they have a system where you can choose your service allotments a l carte. That means you decide how much talk, text, and data you want to pay for. These services are not "pre-bundled." You choose allotments for the 3 services in 5 categories: XS, S, M, L, XL. XS is zero. You can do a lot with those combinations. And they great thing is, if you choose a category, say Medium, you are not stuck in it. If you go over, you are simply bumped up one category for the remaining cycle. No high "flat rate" charges.

Setting up is simple, and keeping track of your plan is also not difficult. Ting has a website with your user account and a "Dashboard." You log in to the account and the Dashboard shows you all the Talk, Text, and Data usage you have.

Finally, Ting's customer service is, dare I say, fantastic. Right now, calling their customer service will attach you to a live rep - in Canada. Not in Asia somewhere. And their website is very helpful. I've only had 2 minor issues so far, and both of these were resolved quite easily.

So yeah, at the moment I'm very impressed with Ting Mobile overall. I don't know much about businesses and how they operate, so I don't know if Ting will change or not over time. But right now I like what they are doing. And when I get the money, I'm going to upgrade to the Nexus S.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Default Re: Ting Mobile review - great!

Update: u can bring a Gnex now too. And they support lte

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus rockin 4.2.1 using Tapatalk 2
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by Mellimel22 View Post
    Update: u can bring a Gnex now too. And they support lte

Thanks. Yeah, just to clarify, the Nexus S is BYOD supported, and the Galaxy Nexus is supported but you have to buy it directly from Ting.

https://ting.com/blog/device-update/

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Great review! Glad it worked out for you. I take it you had to flash your phone? Also Ting is on the Sprint network correct?
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by cgardner View Post
    Great review! Glad it worked out for you. I take it you had to flash your phone? Also Ting is on the Sprint network correct?
    Thanks. Yes, Ting is on the Sprint network. With the phone, I used the Optimus S. No flashing is required. It's as simple as activating your account on Ting's website, making sure you have the "Mobile Data allowed" box checked in Phone Settings, and the reprogramming happens OTA, automatically.

The only thing I had to program manually was MMS. For that to work, you have to change the MMS server. But that is very simple, just 3 steps. They have step by step directions on the website, too.

I was using ting for 1 month and 1 day - it cost me over $130. I canceled the plan and am never going back to Ting. What a ripoff!! I was previously using unlimited tmobile for only $50 per month.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by armando011 View Post
    I was using ting for 1 month and 1 day - it cost me over $130. I canceled the plan and am never going back to Ting. What a ripoff!! I was previously using unlimited tmobile for only $50 per month.
    Well, I'm guessing you used a lot of data. Ting isn't supposed to be an "unlimited" everything plan. If you use more than 1000 minutes and 3GB of data then yes, it's cheaper to get a different carrier.

For me, I get 500 minutes and 1000 texts for $20. It's a better deal since I use WiFi for most of my data.

Optimus S HydroROM 1.1.1 (RIP)

Good point. I guess I should have read the fine print in the Ting contract. I knew that they had overage fees, but I did not know the overage fees would be that much.

Global Posts
    606 Global Posts
    ROM
    CodeName 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by armando011 View Post
    Good point. I guess I should have read the fine print in the Ting contract. I knew that they had overage fees, but I did not know the overage fees would be that much.
    Their plans and fees are clearly visible on the plans page. Surprised you used that much data On sprint even with heavy use I couldn't break 1gb due to the pretty much zero data speeds on EVDO.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Well times changes my friend

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Well times changes my friend http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/02/12/uvu4u2et.jpg

Wow. Where is this?

Optimus S HydroROM 1.1.1 (RIP)
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

I'm on the westside of Chicago (Austin area) and this is post nv and LTE

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

You having LTE does not fix Sprints lack of 3G coverage. Witch is more important as 90% of their towers are still....3G.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

I don't even fall back in 3g at home or wherever I go lol. But my last 3g speeds was 1.1 mb DL .99 upload soooooooo haha

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

You having LTE does not fix Sprints lack of 3G coverage. Witch is more important as 90% of their towers are still....3G.
    And correction not just ME. 70% OF CHICAGO has lte and 87% of my city has improved 3g lol. Just the facts bro.

And correction not just ME. 70% OF CHICAGO has lte and 87% of my city has improved 3g lol. Just the facts bro.

Agreed, Sprint finally upgraded their network in Chicago and it is very good now. Too bad they waited so long to do this. I am sure they lost customers because of this delay.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Sent from my Moto X assembled in the USA!!

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

While you might be one of the lucky few that live in a good 3G coverage area most of America does not. That is a fact. While I understand they are working toward a better network...LTE is not going to fix everything. They need to do what att and Verizon did. Fix the back bone first. But they would rather get into LTE race first. Makes no sense to me. So I like many have left the later network.
    BUT if you live in a good area for Sprint and you don travel much to other metro areas like Boston, NY and so one then you can get a good bang for your buck.
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    Agreed, Sprint finally upgraded their network in Chicago and it is very good now. Too bad they waited so long to do this. I am sure they lost customers because of this delay.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
    Not enough to cry over. We are still one if sprints biggest markets and the ones that bounced I know are kicking themselves in the as as we speak.

Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

While you might be one of the lucky few that live in a good 3G coverage area most of America does not. That is a fact. While I understand they are working toward a better network...LTE is not going to fix everything. They need to do what att and Verizon did. Fix the back bone first. But they would rather get into LTE race first. Makes no sense to me. So I like many have left the later network.
    BUT if you live in a good area for Sprint and you don travel much to other metro areas like Boston, NY and so one then you can get a good bang for your buck.
    Dude att tmo and vzw need to do what sprint is doin lol. Sprint isn't just slapping lte on a tower or two like vzw and att did. They are improving all the networks on 99.9% of there towers. Total network build out. And not just in urban areas like tmo. And fyi Boston and parts of NY has lte and improved 3g now smh. Bottom line in my neck of the land att sucks as. Dropped calls and soso hspa inside any building. The best carriers in Chicago is the CDMA ones.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

Dude att tmo and vzw need to do what sprint is doin lol. Sprint isn't just slapping lte on a tower or two like vzw and att did. They are improving all the networks on 99.9% of there towers. Total network build out. And not just in urban areas like tmo. And fyi Boston and parts of NY has lte and improved 3g now smh. Bottom line in my neck of the land att sucks as. Dropped calls and soso hspa inside any building. The best carriers in Chicago is the CDMA ones.

This post by it self shows be you have done 0 research on the topic. But if your happy with Sprint then stick with em. Most of att's network is HSPA+. Allowing the average user to get 6-10megs down in most areas. 3G coverage 7 months ago on Sprint was less than 200K in the Boston & NYC areas while I would travel there for both work and personal reasons. LTE is not any companies savior. There is also a reason why Verizon is the better of the 2 when it comes to CDMA coverage....They upgraded a lot of their towers before the LTE roll out. Sprint is playing catch up with this. IF they are replacing a lot of 3G towers then they are not letting the public know. But I still have a Sprint phone. If you wanna see the speeds I am talking about let me know. This week while I'm in Boston I will check out to see what the 3G is like and how its "improved". I hope it has but I'm willing to bet it hasn't much at all. However I will let you know!
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

This post by it self shows be you have done 0 research on the topic. But if your happy with Sprint then stick with em. Most of att's network is HSPA+. Allowing the average user to get 6-10megs down in most areas. 3G coverage 7 months ago on Sprint was less than 200K in the Boston & NYC areas while I would travel there for both work and personal reasons. LTE is not any companies savior. There is also a reason why Verizon is the better of the 2 when it comes to CDMA coverage....They upgraded a lot of their towers before the LTE roll out. Sprint is playing catch up with this. IF they are replacing a lot of 3G towers then they are not letting the public know. But I still have a Sprint phone. If you wanna see the speeds I am talking about let me know. This week while I'm in Boston I will check out to see what the 3G is like and how its "improved". I hope it has but I'm willing to bet it hasn't much at all. However I will let you know!
    How I haven't done research dude??????? I frequent s4gru.com daily maybe u need to do the same. And I guarantee if u go there u will see whats the true extent of network vision. And FYI att and definitely T-Mobile has A LOT of edge only coverage. And sprint has sent multiple emails and flyers explaining what network vision is. And its a reason why Verizon's 4g is slowing down. Because they don't have lte on every tower like sprint is doing. And hspa don't matter if u can't make a clear phone call and your data can't penetrate a basic condo or house like the gsm carriers here.

Global Posts
    2,048 Global Posts
    ROM
    None Yet...

How I haven't done research dude??????? I frequent s4gru.com daily maybe u need to do the same. And I guarantee if u go there u will see whats the true extent of network vision. And FYI att and definitely T-Mobile has A LOT of edge only coverage. And sprint has sent multiple emails and flyers explaining what network vision is. And its a reason why Verizon's 4g is slowing down. Because they don't have lte on every tower like sprint is doing. And hspa don't matter if u can't make a clear phone call and your data can't penetrate a basic condo or house like the gsm carriers here.

I'm done spinning the wheels here. There is a reason why att and Verizon have more subs. I can tell you its not for a lack of network on their side. I'm glad Sprint is working out for you though.

/No more jacking thread,
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,518 Global Posts
    ROM
    Muzzyz 4.2.1 build

I'm done spinning the wheels here. There is a reason why att and Verizon have more subs. I can tell you its not for a lack of network on their side. I'm glad Sprint is working out for you though.

/No more jacking thread,
    I'm glad those data caps are working for u too bro. :beer:

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cyanogenmod 7

Damn, I'm on the west side of Chicago and looking to drop Verizon. Looks like Ting just shot to the top of the list!