I am so confused with att mvno carriers!

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I have now tried both straight talk and black wireless. I have used an iphone, a nexus 4 and now an international galaxy s3. Each time I stick one of the sim cards in and set up the apn, I get a day of good high speed data. Between 5 & 8 mbps download. Then suddenly I drop to below edge speed. I cannot get over 0.12mbps download and I have only used a few hundred mb of data. What am I doing wrong???

I use the same settings as everyone else and they get good speeds....

I was trying to break away from verizon and save money, but its like the cellular gods are against me!!!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Android Central Forums

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Ok, I have now tried both straight talk and black wireless. I have used an iphone, a nexus 4 and now an international galaxy s3. Each time I stick one of the sim cards in and set up the apn, I get a day of good high speed data. Between 5 & 8 mbps download. Then suddenly I drop to below edge speed. I cannot get over 0.12mbps download and I have only used a few hundred mb of data. What am I doing wrong???

I use the same settings as everyone else and they get good speeds....

I was trying to break away from verizon and save money, but its like the cellular gods are against me!!!

Check your APN.. has it changed? if you delete the APN and re-add, does the speed come back?

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
This happened before with them and they denied throttling me. Thsts why I tried black wireless. I dont know what im doing wrong!!!

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't have any solutions... But from what I've read on a couple boards there seem to suddenly be a lot of complaints about the ATT MVNOs. It certainly sounds like you've been throttled - even if they deny it.

I know in your previous post you said you're in a bad T-Mobile area. Are you sure that's the case?

Sent from my Nexus 4 on Solavei

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
T mobile has only Edge here... I tried one of their Sims. Nice speed at home, but here at work barely Edge.

I just activated the Straight Talk SIM yesterday. I had good speed last night, then I put the phone on WiFi so as not to use data. Turned off the WiFi today to find slllooooowwww speed....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I just checked and I have only used 22mb of data with Straight Talk.

I think the mvno thing is becoming a bad scene. I need to either go to Att direct or stick with Verizon....

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just checked and I have only used 22mb of data with Straight Talk.

I think the mvno thing is becoming a bad scene. I need to either go to Att direct or stick with Verizon....

Dang, this is really discouraging to hear. I was really considering switching to an AT&T MVNO this summer. What really sucks is the worst networks, Tmo and Sprint, have the best prepaid options, and with Verizon ur only choice with BYOD is Pageplus (3g only). My Sprint unlimited plan for $65/month is suddenly not looking so bad. Keep us posted on what u do next.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I am going to start from the beginning and see if anyone can figure out my problem....

Last November I decided to try out Att mvno carriers and use unlocked gsm phones, in an attempt to get away from Verizon. The reason is Verizon does not do well at work. I spend 10-12 hours at work.

Here at home and most everywhere else, Verizon does fine. I am on unlimited data as well.

So, I ordered a new Nexus 4 and a straight talk sim card. Once I had both I set up the account and set up the phone and started using it. Everything was great. I was getting fast download speeds and all was great. I was curious about Straight Talk's "unlimited data" so I pushed it to see how far I could go.

I hit a little over 3gb of data, in three weeks. As I figured, I got throttled. Best speed I could get was a consistent 0.12mbps. I called Straight Talk and after a bit of messages left back and forth, I finally got to talk to someone.

I was told I had NOT been throttled as far as they knew. They suggested either a network problem or something wrong with my Nexus 4. I told them I had swapped sim cards with my sons phone and everything showed it was my Straight Talk account that was the problem.

The folks at Straight Talk insisted they did not throttle me, BUT..... But they then told me once I refilled my account, my speeds would go back to normal. Really??!! How can they know that?? I felt I was being lied to and decided to stick with Verizon. I let the Straight Talk account lapse and sold the Nexus 4.

Now we come to March 2013. I decide to try again. I had done research and thought Black Wireless looked to be the bomb.... $60/month got me unlimited talk and text/picture messaging and 2gb data before being throttled. Sounded great! So, I ordered the Black Wireless sim card. Free shipping to boot!

I then ordered a new 16gb Nexus 4. Once they both arrived, I inserted the sim and fired up the phone. (i had also ordered a sim from t mobile and set it up on the $30/100 minute plan...). That was a Friday. Friday and Saturday everything was great. With the BW sim I was getting 5-8 mbps download, faster every now n then. The t mobile sim was giving me about 17mbps speed. Late Saturday night the Nexus stopped recognizing the BW sim card. Then it stopped seeing even the t mobile sim.

I tried many things and finally did a factory reset. Still no help. I then put the Nexus into fastboot mode and hit recovery. Finally the Nexus recognized the BW sim. All day that Sunday, the phone and sim worked great. Fast speeds, all was good.

Come Monday afternoon, I get to work and tried out Speedtest to see how the new phone and sim were doing. Imagine my surprise when I could not get anything but 0.12mbps down. I tried several things and still could do no better over the next few days. I called BW and got hung up on several times. It took 6 calls to get thru to a human. When I did they had thick Indian accent, very hard to understand. After a few tries I was told they did not throttle me, it must be the network or my phone. Sound familiar??

Eventually they told me they would reset my data, in hopes to get my speed back up. Said it might take few hours. Another day went by, nothing changed. But then my Nexus stopped seeing the sim cards again...not the BW, not the t mobile and not even my old ST sim. So I called Google support and a new Nexus arrives two days later.

I take the new Nexus out of the box, insert my BW sim and turn the phone on. Guess what?? No sim error. I tried all three Sims several times, but never get the Nexus to see any Sim. So I called support again and this time I decide to return both phones and get a refund.

So now I set with two active sim cards (BW and t mobile...) but no phone to use either in. So after much thinking, I bought a new S3 I9300 from Amazon. Phone shows up yesterday. I charge it, grab and install my BW sim. No sim found is what the phone keeps telling me. I try t mobile sim and it works fine, albeit only edge speeded. I failed to see that bit of info. Apparently the unlocked S3 is unable of seeing more than edge.

I call BW to tell them there is a problem with their sim. They try to tell me I needed to buy a new sim. I told them they need to replace it for me. The gal tells me her supervisor will call me back. No one ever calls...

So, fed up with BW, I decided to reactivate my Straight Talk sim. Once reactivated, I was getting good speed again. Then all of a sudden, my speeds again drop to 0.12 (always 0.12, never any less or any more...) on me.

I only have used 22mb of data. I have tried every APN setting I can find, nothing changes. 0.12mbps each and every time I test it.

What in the world am I doing wrong???

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Are any friends at work that have AT&T experiencing any of this, or just u? I wonder if its possible that AT&T knows which phones are using MVNO's and are the ones who are actually doing the throttling? It would make sense since they are losing so many customers to prepaid, even though a lot of those customers are still on their network. Maybe it has something to do with locale. It seems that u only start getting throttled after u try using data at work.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My son, who lives in my house, has straight talk and doesn't seem to have any problems. He is using an iPhone 3gs though so not sure...can't use speedtest app.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
My son, who lives in my house, has straight talk and doesn't seem to have any problems. He is using an iPhone 3gs though so not sure...can't use speedtest app.

By the way, if I put his sim in my phone, I get fast speed. That was with Straight Talk. I don't see how I could be throttled already, I only had 22mb of data usage at the time....

Airwolf79

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yeah man, that is just strange. Maybe try yet another sim, or u may just have to bite the bullet, pay more, and go directly through AT&T.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have just decided to tough it out with Verizon. I mean, Verizon is great EVERYWHERE but work. I have unlimited data so I'll stay put until Verizon forces my move, then just go to Att and be done with it. When I do go, I'll buy my own phone and still not sign a contract, the phone will be unlocked so I can do as I please...

Not sure why I have had so much trouble (three bad phones and two bad sim cards...), I guess it just was not meant to be! Haha

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
What a horror story. Thanks for sharing and also telling us how it ended.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

amsoma

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Try using only ONE APN on your phone and DELETE all others.

I have NET10 and have experienced NO THROTTLING in the four months I've been with them.

I'm using my Nexus 4 with NET10 and have had very few problems. I bought the Micro sim on Amazon for $1.00. About a month after I signed up NET10 announced that data with the ATT sim was going to be limited to 1.5gb per 30 days. Not a big problem for me as I switch to wifi whenever possible. I also changed the setting for any updates to be done when connected to wifi. With those adjustments I find that I never come close to 1.5gb per month. For some it might be a problem but not for me. I use social media, email, navigation, and other web apps with no problems. I even stream the occasional video. They did offer a free swap to the t-mobile sim but I don't think the coverage is as good as ATT so, like you, opting to keep ATT sim with the data limit and slower speeds. I pay $45/month with auto pay for unlimited calling, text, and 1.5gb of data. My bill with tax is under $50. Not bad for no contract, a great phone, and service that I think is as good as any post paid carrier. Very happy with NET10 so far.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos