Straight Talk phone using Verizon towers?

indiane

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
I currently have the Bionic and wife has droid x2 on Verizon. We have great coverage with Verizon but pay a fortune and don't have unlimited data. The only other real option around here is AT&T. I would love to switch to Straight Talk. We would have to pay $160/each phone for ending our verizon contract. Also thinking about cancelling our home internet which is $60/mo and just use phone hotspot. Originally was thinking of getting nexus 4s or used galaxy nexus with ST att but with all of the issues surrounding att on St re:sim cards and data usage I'm reconsidering. Are there any decent phone options for ST that use Verizon towers and are there less issues with the data usage using a CDMA phone with ST? Opinions and options please! Thanks!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim uses Sprint towers Don't know about the LG

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

They both use Verizon. Look at the network map. And, I had a Proclaim for a bit... In the description it doesn't say directly which carrier they use, but if you go to Walmart and look at the product number on the box they come in, it has a "V" which means Verizon.

Last edited:

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
They both use Verizon. Look at the network map. And, I had a Proclaim for a bit... In the description it doesn't say directly which carrier they use, but if you go to Walmart and look at the product number on the box they come in, it has a "V" which means Verizon.

The proclaim a friend got said S on the box and I thought that meant Sprint

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
The proclaim a friend got said S on the box and I thought that meant Sprint

Well if that's the case then they switched. :confused: Because I had one for a short time about 6 months ago and it was Verizon. You can tell by the last digit of the number on the bottom left corner of the box. If it's a phone using Sprint's network the number ends with "-S". If it uses Verizon it ends with "-V". On the 2 phones I linked it's very clear that the network map is Verizon's.

I was at Walmart this evening so I stopped by the phone aisle and here's what they had in stock at the moment (smart phones using Verizon):

QA2DNlz.jpg

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Well if that's the case then they switched. :confused: Because I had one for a short time about 6 months ago and it was Verizon. You can tell by the last digit of the number on the bottom left corner of the box. If it's a phone using Sprint's network the number ends with "-S". If it uses Verizon it ends with "-V". On the 2 phones I linked it's very clear that the network map is Verizon's.

I was at Walmart this evening so I stopped by the phone aisle and here's what they had in stock at the moment (smart phones using Verizon):

http://i.imgur.com/QA2DNlz.jpg?1

[url]http://i.imgur.com/pohPrxl.jpg?1[/URL]

Maybe it depends on your area I have heard of them doing this before

SRR500

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Look at the lower left corner of the box. If it says "cdma-v" then the phone will use the Verizon network.
The best Android that they currently sell for use in the Verizon network is the LG Optimus showtime. The second best is probably the Samsung Galaxy Proclaim (which I have).

Avoid Huawei like it is the plague. Both my wife and daughter bought one and both turned out to be junk.

Qtrmeg

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I was going to start a thread about this very thing, but because it seems you can bring a Verizon branded phone TO Straight Talk. See this link here>>>
Welcome | Straight Talk

Above you have been talking about what ST sells for phones, and if that matters by area. ST pushes AT&T and Tmobile. If the area you are in has poor service from the former they offer Verizon. Up until now the only way you could get Verizon on Straight Talk was to buy one of their phones. At least that is the way it is where I am, (in the northeast).

The reason this matters to me is my daughter moved to perhaps the only area in this state that is dead to AT&T, and she just lost her phone. She mentioned that it might be nice to have the new phone actually work where she lives and asked why not get a ST Verizon phone instead of an AT&T one. So I explained that instead of the Galaxy S3 you have to get the Walmart Verizon phones. She wasn't loving that idea.

So imagine my surprise when I find the above link, (Welcome | Straight Talk), and it looks like they are letting you bring your own Verizon phone.

I was hoping one of you phone geeks can get to the bottom of this. This option is something that has just been offered in the last month, and is limited to 3G non lte phones? I'm pretty clueless about the tech of all this but I gather that while the top tier phones can't be activated this new policy will enable us to activate Verizon branded phones on ST,

Am I seeing a Droid in my daughters future?

whisperingwillowz

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I have one of the two Staight Talk Verizon Android phones and my daughter has the other. On the Straight Talk website it is represented by the red verizon map next to the picture of the phone. Samsung Galaxy Proclaim and LG Optimus Zip.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Another option is Verizon's new prepaid for 60$/month unlimited talk text & 2GB of data or $70 for 4 GB. The LG phone for $129 looks decent - dual core processor 8GB & micro SD expansion.

Posted via Android Central App

Natalie South

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I have been with Straight Talk for 3 years now. I haven't had any problems with the service until now starting about 6 mos. or so ago. Both my boys are having issues as well. My biggest problem is when out of the calling area, in order to use the web, you have to be near wifi. This did not use to be the case. I recently read last night that At&t and Verizon both have stopped letting Straight Talk bounce off their towers. They now use Boost mobile towers which is not good. I'm very disappointed in this. Before going to Straight Talk, even though it will save tons of money, I would do some checking first. Also Straight Talk uses Sprint service and Sprint is not all that great either. Hope this helps!!!

prepaidguy9081

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I have been with Straight Talk for 3 years now. I haven't had any problems with the service until now starting about 6 mos. or so ago. Both my boys are having issues as well. My biggest problem is when out of the calling area, in order to use the web, you have to be near wifi. This did not use to be the case. I recently read last night that At&t and Verizon both have stopped letting Straight Talk bounce off their towers. They now use Boost mobile towers which is not good. I'm very disappointed in this. Before going to Straight Talk, even though it will save tons of money, I would do some checking first. Also Straight Talk uses Sprint service and Sprint is not all that great either. Hope this helps!!!

Boost is sprint by the way

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk HD

Triad Cpr

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
The red map is indicative of Verizon. Also, google the phones you are interested in and find out their parent company. Sprint quit working here a few years ago but my ST Sprint phone gets some service. Verizon is still preferred and I would have mine but it went swimming so I'm using the Android phone I got for $20 as a back-up. Again, google the phones, look at the maps and also the slogans. It's definitely worth switching because my Sprint bill for 1 non-smart phone was $120/month now it's $48/month.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SandiR