indiane

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying that I should've been more careful and I already know this, but what's done is done.

I purchased a S3 off of Craigslist, which was advertised to be "Unlocked" and works with any carrier. I wrongly assumed that this phone was a GSM model since it was advertised as unlocked. Wrong! The phone is a US Cellular CDMA phone, which I do not even have in my area. Oh well, I can still sell the phone, which is okay. Here's where the news gets really bad. The phone is still activated...i'm getting text messages and the phone's mobile data is working. I can't activate the phone or sell the phone until the guy deactivates the phone. The only phone number I have for the guy I bought the phone from is the one that's on phone I purchased. I emailed the guy today through craigslist and messaged a cpl of ppl who sent him test messages, but so far the phone is still active. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Let me preface this by saying that I should've been more careful and I already know this, but what's done is done.

I purchased a S3 off of Craigslist, which was advertised to be "Unlocked" and works with any carrier. I wrongly assumed that this phone was a GSM model since it was advertised as unlocked. Wrong! The phone is a US Cellular CDMA phone, which I do not even have in my area. Oh well, I can still sell the phone, which is okay. Here's where the news gets really bad. The phone is still activated...i'm getting text messages and the phone's mobile data is working. I can't activate the phone or sell the phone until the guy deactivates the phone. The only phone number I have for the guy I bought the phone from is the one that's on phone I purchased. I emailed the guy today through craigslist and messaged a cpl of ppl who sent him test messages, but so far the phone is still active. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Holy crap, that's hilarious. I'd probably call US Cellular and inform them that the guy sold you his phone and forgot to deactivate his service. Tell them you don't want to get into any trouble for stealing what he's paying for. Hopefully they'll contact him via e-mail or an alternate phone number and he'll deactivate it.
The only real concern I'd have is that he stole someone else's phone and sold it to you. Maybe not even stole but found it laying around picked it up and listed it on Craigs. If a legit owner, who wasn't that guy, shows up and wants the phone back you're screwed. If not legally, you'd be morally obligated to give it back to the rightful owner and eat the loss.

Again, contact the carrier. They should be able to help you out. Good luck.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
...The only real concern I'd have is that he stole someone else's phone and sold it to you. Maybe not even stole but found it laying around picked it up and listed it on Craigs...

Uh Yup. Sounds like you got stung.

Sorry to hear about such a scenario. People can be real jerks. :(

indiane

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Has there been any resolution? I've been hoping for the best for you man.

Unfortunately no. I've called us cellular and they can't help but the rep suggested i call Samsung and have them wipe the phone. Anyone know anything about that? I answered a call on the phone and it was the guy's aunt. Apparently he doesn't own the phone but is on someone else's plan. She says the guy is unto drugs, wHich is probably why he sold the phone. I asked her to try to contact the account holder and have them contact me so we could resolve the issue but so far nothing. There's 3 voicemails but i can't check them bc i Don't have the code.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately no. I've called us cellular and they can't help but the rep suggested i call Samsung and have them wipe the phone. Anyone know anything about that? I answered a call on the phone and it was the guy's aunt. Apparently he doesn't own the phone but is on someone else's plan. She says the guy is unto drugs, wHich is probably why he sold the phone. I asked her to try to contact the account holder and have them contact me so we could resolve the issue but so far nothing. There's 3 voicemails but i can't check them bc i Don't have the code.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

This is outside of Samsung's scope. They cannot do anything to release the ESN of the phone from US Cellular. That's all up to the carrier. My next move would be to call US Cellular again and ask if they would please contact the account holder on your behalf. Tell them you're not looking to find out any of that person's information, however you would like to let them know the phone is no longer in the person's possession. They really shouldn't deny that request. If they seem resistant, tell them you don't feel it's fair for you to get service that someone else is paying for.
If there's still no resolution I'm not sure what to do there. This is a very unique situation you're in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol