Straight Talk AT&T APN settings w/ the Nexus 4

ehaus81

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Here's a (long-winded) taste of my experience with getting a phone set up for use on Straight Talk with an AT&T SIM. Hopefully, this will help someone out there who's been searching everywhere for these settings in an attempt to optimize their speed and consistency of service.

I originally started my testing with a Verizon GS4 because I had a spare one in my office and, since it's unlocked, should have worked perfectly fine with the ST SIM. I created the APN as instructed by ST and had initial early success. About three or four hours later, data and MMS stopped working. A quick reboot fixed the issue but the problem kept coming back always with the same resolution.

I started digging around on forums for alternate settings. Eventually what I took to doing was experimenting with mixing and matching settings until I came up with a set that worked consistently over time and through reboots but even then data wasn't very fast. I knew that going from Verizon's LTE to HSPA+ was going to be a compromise but I wasn't very happy with how my tests were turning out.

Next, I scored a Nexus 4 off of Craigslist and as I decided that testing using a Verizon GS4 probably wasn't going to give me the best experience as to what I could expect when moving to ST as my main service. I was definitely correct in that thinking. Again, using a amalgamation of settings from various posts on forums, I've come up with an APN that works great. Fast (for HSPA+ 21) data speeds, consistent sending and receiving of MMS and voice and text. Listed below are the settings that I've found worked great for me and hopefully will for others who are still having issues.

Name: Straight Talk (just an identifier, can be whatever you want it to be)
APN: tfdata
MMSC: http://mms-tf.net
MMS proxy: mms3.tracfone.com
MMS port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
APN type: default,supl,mms

Everything else was left at their defaults. For reference, I'm in Northern New Jersey and I work in Manhattan. Not sure if these settings are region specific but I felt it worth mentioning.

So far I've been very happy with the Straight Talk service on AT&T's network. I've been finding that I'm getting service in places where Verizon's has been spotty such as in my office on the 52nd floor of my building. Typically I get anywhere between 1 bar of LTE to 1-2 bars of EVDO on Verizon on all my devices (Galaxy Nexus, iPad mini and iPhone 5; both of the i-devices are work provided so that I can support users of those platforms), and with ST I'm getting between 3 and 4 bars consistently of HSPA+. I think I'm going to like paying half price for mobile service.

tegee

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for this. I've been looking for the most recent ST APN settings that work as I'm expecting my Nexus 4 this afternoon in the mail. I live in Central NJ - Somerset County.

mbj8448

May 17, 2011
Visit site
It may depend on which AT&T SIM you bought. The APN settings from @tegee worked with my older ST ATT SIM. I just bought one of the new ST ATT SIM cards that is compatible with LTE and it uses the settings that the OP posted. However, I have one addition to those settings so here's the ones from @ehaus81 with my addition of the Proxy (not the MMS Proxy, his is right):

Name: Straight Talk (just an identifier, can be whatever you want it to be)
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
APN type: default,supl,mms

Everything else is exactly right as given to me by Straight Talk. Even though both SIMs were Straight Talk AT&T SIM cards, they use different APN settings. The non-LTE sim card was working just fine this morning. The new LTE version sim that I received today would not work with the old APN settings, only the new ones.

lix2

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually I just got my Nexus 7 working:

This is the current settings as of 2013.09.25:

Code:
Name: Straight Talk (whatever, does not matter)
Proxy: proxy.mvno.tracfone.com

LTE works perfectly.

Last edited:

Rookie4sho

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same exact problems with my N5. Every settings I've tried ALL work, data, text, voice, LTE. BUT I cannot receive picture mail! This is very frustrating since the older non LTE SIM has no issues with receiving pictures. I'm also getting this weird thing with my AOL email account where it keeps saying I'm not logged in and to check password. But it's correct and it works, I get email fine. But every now and then I get that error.

Has to be something we are all missing, I can send people a picture and they receive them fine, I just don't receive anything from anyone when they try, it's only working one way.

Whitney Justus

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I am on Net10 (Nexus 4/4.3/AT&T) which is using the same APN settings as ST. I have been all over the internet and used every APN that i could find but never could receive MMS messages (Now using standard Net10/ST APN). I have had the issue where i get the notification that says that the MMS could not be downloaded, and the MMS header would not show up in Messaging. I happened to be messing with the settings in the stock messaging app and found out that if 'Auto-retrieve' was checked the N4 was unable to receive the MMS header. Thing is when I hit the 'Download' button it just sits there downloading. At least I am one step closer. Any ideas for the next step would be appreciated.

sainte10

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I am on Net10 (Nexus 4/4.3/AT&T) which is using the same APN settings as ST. I have been all over the internet and used every APN that i could find but never could receive MMS messages (Now using standard Net10/ST APN). I have had the issue where i get the notification that says that the MMS could not be downloaded, and the MMS header would not show up in Messaging. I happened to be messing with the settings in the stock messaging app and found out that if 'Auto-retrieve' was checked the N4 was unable to receive the MMS header. Thing is when I hit the 'Download' button it just sits there downloading. At least I am one step closer. Any ideas for the next step would be appreciated.

Ditto. This is the exact problem I've been working for 2 weeks. ST is zero help. They say they don't guarantee mms will work. HELP PLEASE

jrokusek

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
For those of you having problems receiving MMS messages, try dowloading "Go SMS Pro" from the Google Play Store. It's FREE and fixed my picture problems on my Pantech Burst 9070 and my wife's Samsung Captivate Glide I927. I spent LOTS of time trying every APN setting I could find on the net. Turns out that the recommended APN settings and Go SMS Pro fixed it for me. Good luck!

sainte10

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Figured it out. All 4 of my family's Nexus 4's did this. Use the ST setting and just wait till your ST monthly bill renewals. One of our phones was on a 90 day plan. After renewal MMS worked on it also.

audibink

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issues and yet to resolve. I am on a nexus 4 with a straight talk sim. I can do everything but receive MMS. Any help?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995