Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Current Cricket throttled speeds?

I am looking at switching to the new Cricket service (previously Aio) because I am finding that I have issues with building penetration with T-Mobile that AT&T customers do not have due to the lower frequencies used. My concern is the data. I use a lot of data for music streaming via Google Play Music so I think I would be going over the 5GB of high speed each month. My questions are...

• What speeds are you actually seeing when throttled on Aio/Cricket? The advertised 128kbps?
    • Have you tried streaming with something like Spotify or Google Play Music, and does it work reliably when throttled?

Global Posts
    685 Global Posts

Default Re: Current Cricket throttled speeds?

Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    I am looking at switching to the new Cricket service (previously Aio) because I am finding that I have issues with building penetration with T-Mobile that AT&T customers do not have due to the lower frequencies used. My concern is the data. I use a lot of data for music streaming via Google Play Music so I think I would be going over the 5GB of high speed each month. My questions are...

• What speeds are you actually seeing when throttled on Aio/Cricket? The advertised 128kbps?
    • Have you tried streaming with something like Spotify or Google Play Music, and does it work reliably when throttled?
    This is a topic I've asked about before and I generally keep a lookout and read posts regarding it. You can search the forum and there are a number of postings, but this is my take from what I've seen but keep in mind I've never been an AIO or Cricket customer. Since the early days of AIO people have consistently reported that you can stream music on AIO's throttled speeds but it has to be on a low quality setting. However, Google Play Music is the one music streaming service that is problematic. Google Music might require more bandwidth or not permit low quality streaming. I think going forward things could change (or not) with AIO now being Cricket.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    This is a topic I've asked about before and I generally keep a lookout and read posts regarding it. You can search the forum and there are a number of postings, but this is my take from what I've seen but keep in mind I've never been an AIO or Cricket customer. Since the early days of AIO people have consistently reported that you can stream music on AIO's throttled speeds but it has to be on a low quality setting. However, Google Play Music is the one music streaming service that is problematic. Google Music might require more bandwidth or not permit low quality streaming. I think going forward things could change (or not) with AIO now being Cricket.
    Well, I searched around but most of the posts were from before the quoted speed dropped from 256kbps to 128kbps. I hadn't seen anything about Google Music but that's unfortunate to hear. They specifically say that they adjust the bitrate to match your connection speed but I guess they don't do so enough.

Global Posts
    685 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by raptir View Post
    Well, I searched around but most of the posts were from before the quoted speed dropped from 256kbps to 128kbps. I hadn't seen anything about Google Music but that's unfortunate to hear. They specifically say that they adjust the bitrate to match your connection speed but I guess they don't do so enough.
    @raptir I might have goofed in what I wrote above about Google Music. More recently I've been also paying attention to threads that were discussing T-Mobile's throttled speeds. I might have seen the comment about Google Music on a T-Mobile thread. Can't remember. Anyway, hopefully a current Cricket customer will chime in and offer his or her experience. Also I didn't know about the speed drop so I must have been reading pre-speed drop posts.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by jdbii View Post
    @raptir I might have goofed in what I wrote above about Google Music. More recently I've been also paying attention to threads that were discussing T-Mobile's throttled speeds. I might have seen the comment about Google Music on a T-Mobile thread. Can't remember. Anyway, hopefully a current Cricket customer will chime in and offer his or her experience. Also I didn't know about the speed drop so I must have been reading pre-speed drop posts.
    Well, I just forced my T-Mobile phone to Edge (about 200kbps according to speedtest.net) and Spotify works fine while Play Music does not, even with it set to "Low" quality. The annoying thing there is that Play Music allows you to cache radio stations offline (which would help limit data usage) while Spotify does not.

I'm considering pre-paid Cricket/aio as well but I am concerned about the data speed limits:

High-speed data access allows download speeds of a maximum of 8 Mbps for compatible LTE devices and 4 Mbps for compatible HSPA+ devices.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by TelecasterM View Post
    I'm considering pre-paid Cricket/aio as well but I am concerned about the data speed limits:

High-speed data access allows download speeds of a maximum of 8 Mbps for compatible LTE devices and 4 Mbps for compatible HSPA+ devices.
    I'm honestly not too concerned with that. Even Netflix's "SuperHD" is only 6Mbps, and you can't stream that on your phone anyway. I'm really just stuck on whether the throttled data will be fast enough for me. It looks like Spotify's "Normal" quality is 96kbps Vorbis so that would explain why it streams pretty well on a slow connection. Play Music looks to be either 128kbps or 160kbps, neither of which would stream well on a 128kbps connection. Maybe I just need to switch music providers.