freedompop or t-mobile pay-as-you-go?

chocolateyum

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I use barely any texts, calls, or mobile data. I do most everything over wifi. Live in a suburb of Portland, Oregon.

Do you guys think I should get freedom pop, t-mobiles $3/month pay-as-you-go, or something else?

Freedompop being free seems the best option but afraid reception will be terrible as I've never heard of it before. I have to buy a phone from them I assume.

Thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
FreedomPop's free service is limited to 200 minutes of talk time, 500 texts, and 500 MB of data per month. You have to pay for additional. I haven't read a whole lot about their quality, so that's a bit of a wildcard, as you mentioned.

There's something to be said for decent customer support in case something happens. I've had good experience with T-Mobile, so if I were in your position, I'd lean towards them.

Here's a good deal for you: Nexus 5 for $199, including 1 year of FreedomPop. But it's unlocked, so you could easily get a T-mobile SIM and plug it in. https://deals.thenextweb.com/sales/...&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=nexus010514

rossfuz

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I have Freedompop and the call quality has been great since they switched to Linphone for calls. T-Mobile is spotty where i am. Sprint lte is strong. I just upgraded to the $20 lte unlimited plan and it's been nice. only listen to real customers with experience not these people that read a webpage and think they know everything about a product. you need it in your hand for a review.also if you need a real phone and not voip, Freedompop offers that now. you can now add old fashioned Sprint 2g phone calls for $2-$3 on the free plan.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the input. How's their customer service? That was the point I was trying to make--not sure if your comment was directed at me.

chocolateyum

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
Here's a good deal for you: Nexus 5 for $199, including 1 year of FreedomPop. But it's unlocked, so you could easily get a T-mobile SIM and plug it in. https://deals.thenextweb.com/sales/...&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=nexus010514

Thanks a lot. Great deal. Looks like my area should be good so we'll give it a try.

EDIT: Was just reading some reviews on customer service and boy, they are scary. I'd still give it a try but the phone's preowned which normally wouldn't be a problem except the reviews were so bad, I'm afraid of the phone quality. Thanks anyway though. I'm leaning towards T-Mobile and cricket now.

Last edited:

chocolateyum

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
If you look under the specs tab, it says "preowned". Still a good price if I wasn't scared of the quality now after reading all the poor customer service reviews. Bummer.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, I see it now. I wouldn't be too worried about that--it's probably refurbished, just like any replacement device you might get if you have to exchange a new but defective device at the store.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995