Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Golfdriver97
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default ZTE Nubia Z5S

Hi there! Just got my ZTE nubia z5s and its working great!
    I found out I have an update available and downloaded it. When it finished the phone asked if I want to update now and I said ok.
    Then it made a restart and opened cwm (6.0.4.5) in chinese.
    I have no idea what to do there (I don't know chinese..) and my guesses didn't work..
    How can I update the phone?
    Thanks guys!

Default Re: ZTE Nubia Z5S

Welcome to Android Central! Can you take a picture of that screen with a different phone or camera, then post that screenshot? Someone on these forums might be able to translate it for you--or you could try a real-time translator app on it.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Great! Here is a picture of the cwm in chinese.. I just want to update the phone..
    Thanks!
    ZTE Nubia Z5S-cwmchinese.jpg

Ok, I used Google Translate on my phone and scanned that photo. Not all options are clearly translated.

It's hard to translate the first option because it's highlighted, but the first option is usually Reboot System Now.
    The second option doesn't translate well, but based on the stock Android System Recovery menu, it's probably Apply Update from ADB.
    The third option is to wipe data and restore to factory settings.
    The fourth option looks like the wipe cache partition option.
    The fifth option is some sort of Backup and Restore option.
    The sixth option seems like it has to do with MMC--it might clear your internal storage.
    The last option is Advanced Features.

After typing all this out, I searched for ClockworkMod recovery menu images (that's what CWM means), and found this, which essentially confirms what I noted above:
    ZTE Nubia Z5S-cwm-6045-tablet-screenshot_thumb-2-.png
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Ok, so I need to install zip from sdcard and find there the zip I downloaded?
    Thanks!

I'm afraid I don't any experience with your particular situation. Usually, if you have an unrooted phone with a stock ROM, system updates should download and install automatically. Since you have CWM installed, the phone is probably rooted, since CWM is a custom recovery.

You're saying that your phone told you there was a system update available? That sound like an official over-the-air system update. I'm not sure if you should simply pick the "Reboot System Now" option or try the "Install from ZIP" option in the hopes that you'll be able to find the update file. Let me see if I can find some other help.

Global Posts
    31,643 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Pure Nexus/Franco Kernel

I would press and hold the power button until the phone reboots. It should reboot back into Android. If not, try clicking the factory reset button. Yes this will wipe data. The OTA should have failed with a custom recovery

From a Carbon M8 and AC Forums app
    B. Diddy likes this.

hi, i have the same problem on my new Zte nubia Z7 mini. When i try to upgrade to the stock rom always appear the chinese screen. The same thing when i try to do a factory reset. I checked if i have the root permissions but i dont have so it seems very strange to me. But today i see that in the screen in chinese that appear always there is written cwm recovery, as you can see in the picture. So, how is it possible that i dont have root permission but my recovery is not the stock one? where can i find the stock recovery and how can i install it? ZTE Nubia Z5S-10754787_10205366498950762_1717364024_n.jpg