A more secure browser recommendation?

JediDefender

Oct 13, 2016
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a user of a ZTE assurance wireless phone. I had this phone for a week and it's my first android phone, so mobile wise, I'm quite new to web browsing. While I was using chrome, a webpage redirected me to a pop up saying I was infected, of course I avoided it. Tried hitting the back button many times, but then I decided to hit the menu button as fast as I could to close down the browser. Luckily it was on incognito, so hopefully it didn't leave anything bad behind.

I know androids are not known to get viruses, but I totally forgot about the redirects/pop up issues that can occur when I decided to browse. I had used AVG, Malwarebytes and even my purchased copy of Kaspersky(with subscription code) from google play store and their scans came up all clean. I still can't help but worry though. Should I factory reset my phone anyway? Also, what apps or browsers do you guys recommend to prevent this from happening again?

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Factory reset is an act of desperation and is an arduous process to set the device up again.
I wouldn't stress about a couple of popups, they are adware,, they want to sell you their "anti malware product" also called scare ware. If it persists, an adblocker may be the go. I have adguard here, zero ads, zero popups and it has a great firewall that blocks all internet access from any app! In any case, if you get a pop up, don't click on ANY part of it, just back out with the home key and go again with browser... In order to get any bugs, you have to agree to download stuff or open attachments or sideload apps.

First Last Jr

Jan 8, 2017
Visit site
I have had good luck using McAfee Web Advisor chrome extension. It warns me if the website I click on is known to have risky behaviors, and asks if I want to assume the risk or go back.

I use the ghostery chrome extension on my laptop computer. It blocks trackers. Haven't tried it on my phone.

When Mcafee, Malwarebytes, Spybot Search and Destroy don't catch the redirects malware on my laptop, I use SpyHunter 4. It catches stuff that Malwarebytes misses. Its parent, Enigma Software Group, has a mixed reputation in security circles, but I find SpyHunter 4 is very effective and has not introduced anything negative onto my laptop. Again, I have not tried to use it on my ZTE Android phone.

Ken60384904

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm a user of a ZTE assurance wireless phone. I had this phone for a week and it's my first android phone, so mobile wise, I'm quite new to web browsing. While I was using chrome, a webpage redirected me to a pop up saying I was infected, of course I avoided it. Tried hitting the back button many times, but then I decided to hit the menu button as fast as I could to close down the browser. Luckily it was on incognito, so hopefully it didn't leave anything bad behind.

I know androids are not known to get viruses, but I totally forgot about the redirects/pop up issues that can occur when I decided to browse. I had used AVG, Malwarebytes and even my purchased copy of Kaspersky(with subscription code) from google play store and their scans came up all clean. I still can't help but worry though. Should I factory reset my phone anyway? Also, what apps or browsers do you guys recommend to prevent this from happening again?

Ken60384904

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about it. It's just an ad to sell you virus protection. Just shut down the page and resume your browsing. An ad blocking app is your best bet.