- 116 Posts
Steam on Oyua
I think that Valve intentenally released Steam for Linux just for the Ouya console. If not I wouldn't understand why they would have because there isn't a very big Linux gaming market.. Nvidia Shield I think may also have Steam. Anyone else been thinking the same thing?
Sent from my Galaxy s3 using Android Central Forums
- 01-17-2013, 06:18 PM #2
- 10 Posts
Re: Steam on Oyua
Actually the Ouya doesn't run Linux as most people think of it, it runs Android. Android runs on the Linux kernel, but that doesn't mean it will automatically run native Linux apps. Steam has also announced their Steambox, which will run Linux, which is probably why they've ported the Linux platform over to steam. Even if the Steam environment were compiled for ARM architectures by Valve it doesn't mean that your library of steam games would work on your Tegra device. The games on steam are developed for a, far more powerful, desktop x86/x64 architecture.
Nvidia Shield is not running Steam, but runs a cloud computing service from Nvidia called Grid. Any android device, including Ouya, will be able to run this service and play PC games, but only through a high speed internet connection. Even then the actual computations are running on Nvidia's servers and not the Tegra device.
- 01-22-2013, 07:13 PM #4
- 02-10-2013, 06:55 AM #5
- 27 Posts
Re: Steam on Oyua
So we have to wait for the cloud gaming providers to start rolling out Nvidia Grid.
- 03-24-2013, 10:13 AM #6
- By BriDroid in forum The Android Central LoungeReplies: 10Last Post: 05-09-2013, 09:06 PM
- By jezzw in forum T-Mobile G1Replies: 4Last Post: 12-22-2009, 10:37 AM
- By CrackBerry Kevin in forum BlackBerryReplies: 69Last Post: 07-01-2009, 11:21 AM
- By Dr. Tyrell in forum T-Mobile G1Replies: 5Last Post: 04-16-2009, 12:08 PM
- By aquineas#ac in forum The Android Central LoungeReplies: 3Last Post: 03-26-2009, 10:26 AM