Pebble Steel in 2015?

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
So with all the new tech these days would anyone still suggest getting a Pebble Steel as a first time smart watch?

I have a galaxy s6 and was originally looking at the new Gear s2, but feel it's not for me (short battery life and the first buyers have some bad reviews). Also I think I want one that will be compatible with all mobile IO's.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The original Pebble Steel? It's still a good watch, and can do a number of useful things, like notifications, simple SMS replies, and remote phone control, among other things. It's more durable and waterproof than many of the Android Wear watches, and the battery life is still far superior (I brought mine on a recent trip to France, rather than my Zenwatch, because I didn't want to worry about damaging it nor having to charge every single day). And I think it still looks pretty classy. Be aware, though, that the original Pebbles have an issue where the display gets temporarily corrupted when switching between menu screens--if you look through Pebble forums or communities, you'll see what I mean. It's relatively easy to clear up, but might get a bit annoying.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Thx B Diddy. I went and played with a Pebble Steel today after work and wasn't impressed. I also played with a new Gear S2 and also wasn't impressed. I think I'm looking for the perfect smart watch that doesn't exist lol.

Posted via the Android Central App

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
How about the Pebble Time? A little snazzier.

Personally, I really like my Zenwatch. It's not too huge for me, watchfaces look great, and I find it actually quite useful. One recent way it helps is that my current car doesn't allow me to voice dial a phone number--I have to tap it on a touchscreen, which isn't that safe when driving. Instead, I can tilt my Zenwatch to me, say "Ok Google," then say "Dial 555-555-5555," and the call is made. Battery life is good--I usually have around 40% left by the time I go to bed at midnight or so.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
How about the Pebble Time? A little snazzier.

Personally, I really like my Zenwatch. It's not too huge for me, watchfaces look great, and I find it actually quite useful. One recent way it helps is that my current car doesn't allow me to voice dial a phone number--I have to tap it on a touchscreen, which isn't that safe when driving. Instead, I can tilt my Zenwatch to me, say "Ok Google," then say "Dial 555-555-5555," and the call is made. Battery life is good--I usually have around 40% left by the time I go to bed at midnight or so.

I hadn't really given the Zenwatch a chance, but now I'll check out some reviews. Thank you!

Posted via Android Central App

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I have to echo the comments about the ZenWatch being an excellent smartwatch... It's my favorite as well at the moment.

Technically, the ZenWatch *can* work with the iPhone with the Android Wear app for iOS, however it's capabilities are limited on that platform. As mentioned above, I typically have 30-40% battery life left on the ZenWatch at the end of the day... Which is not enough for a full second day, but eases the tension about getting through an all-nighter.

Also, I can see how some may not like the size or "copper / rose gold" accents of the original ZenWatch, but that is more of a personal preference thing. Check out a local Best Buy and see if they have one on display.

One last thing I'd mention... If you don't mind spending a little cash to "try out" different smartwatches, check out Lumoid.com ... It's a wearable rental site. Yea, it's money that could be put towards actually buying a watch, but this will let you try out the real deal for a week or so. Plus, they'll let you purchase the watch your trying on if you like it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you don't mind spending a little cash to "try out" different smartwatches, check out Lumoid.com ... It's a wearable rental site. Yea, it's money that could be put towards actually buying a watch, but this will let you try out the real deal for a week or so. Plus, they'll let you purchase the watch your trying on if you like it.

That's a great idea!