I'm torn: Do I get the Pebble Time or Zenwatch 2 ?

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm selling my Fitbit Charge and plan to look for a nice budget "smart" watch. I'm not willing to spend over $200 so looking at the options out there, I've narrowed it down to the Pebble Time and Zenwatch 2.

I really like the Pebbles size and the always on feature as well as better battery life, but there are some things that worry me. One being the Pebble can be too dim to see in low light. Also, and most worrisome, is will I tire of having to constantly press a bunch of buttons when I want to interact with the watch vs. being able to just swipe a screen as found on the ZW2?

So Pebble users, is it cumbersome/tiring having to press a bunch of buttons whenever you need to do anything on the watch?

Does anyone who bought the Pebble Time regret getting it or are you just as happy with it as you were when you first got it?

Any thoughts on this topic is much appreciated!

paul87russell

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
hi there! i also sold my fitbit charge hr for a pebble time! and up to now i still love my pebble! the UI is super easy so pushing buttons won't be much of a drag and when you go for a run, having a physical button is much more appreciated coz you don't have to look at your watch at all. Sometimes it is a bit dim when there is low light but it is backlit so no worries. And the battery life is amazing :)

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and grabbed a Time while they were on sale at Best Buy this week. Good thing is I'm an Elite member so I have a fairly long return time so if I hate it, I will return and try the small Zenwatch. :)

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok...day one is slowly wrapping up, and I am seriously thinking of wrapping this thing back up and returning it.

I'm finding that I'm more content using my phone since it sits on my desk all day and it's quick and easy to reply to msgs etc with. Plus, as I feared, all this button pushing is becoming very annoying. Add to that the really dim display and I think it's time for my Pebble test to end.

:(

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I just returned my zenwatch2 ... It had a defecting screen. I bought both the moto 360 and pebble time to compare.

I was finding Android wear fiddly and a feeble attempt at duplicating my phone. I thought maybe pebble would be what I want... Long battery and good notifications.

After a day of pebble I'm torn... Could be too simplistic for me?

Currently using LG G4 and Asus Zenwatch 2.

NealJ777

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'm going to jump in on this thread. I have no smartwatch experience. I'm wanting to pick one up and I've been considering the PT, mainly because of battery life. I just want something for notifications. I don't need all those fancy apps, after all, that's why I have a phone. Sometimes it's nice to be able to check what's going on without taking my phone out of my pocket. If I'm at work, I don't want to get busted for using my smartphone when what I really was doing was checking my calendar.

The WiFi on the ZW2 is attractive. When I'm at home, I often miss some notifications. The master bedroom is downstairs and the office (computer area) is upstairs. I usually leave my phone on a bedside cradle in the master bedroom. It would be nice to find out about necessary notifications while I'm in other areas of the house.

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
So I've been using the Pebble Time for 4 days now after returning my ZW2. (On the same charge I might add- it is now at 40%.)

I am sticking with and this is why. BTW this is nothing against ZW2 but rather an overall about why I am staying with Pebble Time:

I need a watch- not a mini phone on my wrist. I wear it like a watch. The bezel is low to my arm not too tall. It is light and the silicone band (I got the Red Pebble Time) feels like I can wear it and forget it when living my life. I already have a Tissot dress watch so I went with fun for my Pebble.

When I turn my wrist to look at the time I don't tilt it with a new muscle memory to activate the screen. I just turn my wrist and look at the time.

The screen looks best in sunlight! I made an earlier comment that the screen looked simple. This has now grown on me. I like the cartoony look. It has a certain charm to it.

The buttons!! I like the buttons!! With pure touch screen on my ZW2 I had to look at my watch, register what I was seeing, then touch the screen. With Pebble I'm going to the appropriate button before I even look at the acreen.

I need a very robust and rich notifier with simple quick response capability if needed. Even on Android wear I found I reached for my phone to do things that required a little extra interaction. The Pebble is a master in bringing you notifications on its timeline.

These are my personal observations only. I would at least take it for a test drive if you get a chance.

Currently using LG G4 and Asus Zenwatch 2.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just got a Pebble Time and if I had got it at launch I would have been very disappointed.

I got mine for $125 on Amazon which I feel is a good price. I use the Samsung S2 Classic as my daily driver.

I got the Pebble Time as a watch to wear while cycling/exercising or just anywhere I don't want to risk messing up my S2 Classic.

It is good for what it is, but I could never see it as a replacement for AW or the S2

Posted via the Android Central App

stmax

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Pebble Time and if I had got it at launch I would have been very disappointed.

I got mine for $125 on Amazon which I feel is a good price. I use the Samsung S2 Classic as my daily driver.

I got the Pebble Time as a watch to wear while cycling/exercising or just anywhere I don't want to risk messing up my S2 Classic.

It is good for what it is, but I could never see it as a replacement for AW or the S2

Could I ask why you would be disappointed? I realize there are things that can't be done in Pebble but whenever I run into something like that I always reached for my phone anyways .

Sent from my LG G4

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
just to clarify, I think the $125 I paid for my Pebble Time is great. However, if I had paid 300 or whatever it was at launch, then I would be disappointed. My S2 Classic was $300 and probably like $350 at launch. Place them side to side and it is just no comparison.

The Pebble Time is really hard to see indoors with no backlight. Dont get me wrong, I will use it plenty. I take it to the gym, I will wear it cycling, and I sleep in it every night. When I wake up at 3 am with a dog barking, I can see the screen great without blinding me.

And I have said this since the OG Pebble, they really should market the alarm clock feature. It is the greatest alarm clock in the world. Wakes me up everytime and does not disturb the wife.

i just found the images in advertisements and their site very misleading. The screen is very dull. Functionality wise it is pretty good, and relatively on par with AW or the S2

Adam Zeis

Adminstrator
Dec 20, 2010
Visit site

I'm quite the opposite. I've tried out numerous Android Wear devices, including the ZW2, and found that Pebble is really what I need. I'm not into using voice commands or any controls on my watch, but I simply want notifications that I can take a quick look at and be done. No tapping and swiping to worry about. I have no big issues seeing the PT screen, and I love that it's waterproof (I wear it pretty much 24/7) and I charge every 5 days or so.

To each his own though, I totally understand how my use may be totally different than someone else's.

Mike-Mike

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm quite the opposite. I've tried out numerous Android Wear devices, including the ZW2, and found that Pebble is really what I need. I'm not into using voice commands or any controls on my watch, but I simply want notifications that I can take a quick look at and be done. No tapping and swiping to worry about.

Well now I have left Android Wear for the Samsung Gear S2, i have to agree with you there. I never use voice services, and AW just stacks tons of useless cards all the time that have to be swiped. the S2 does not do that. There are a lot of similarities between the functionality of the S2 and the Pebble Time.

bckrupps

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
I have an LG watch Urbane 2 and i picked up a Pebble Time for work. I think it's outstanding for what it is. I love that it's more simple for work and my steps sync with google fit. Notifications are excellent. Definately better to me than Android Wear for notifications but Love my Urbane 2 screen and the fact that it's much more watch like. I'm glad I have them both.

sdardoin

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
Well... I have had the ZW2 for 7 months now and I am officially tired of it... the Bluetooth connection is absolutely atrocious. It has gotten to the point where I have to factory reset the watch once a day because it loses connection and wont reconnect. Not to mention, when it is connected, i miss half my notifications.

I had the original Pebble and the Pebble Steel and loved both... so, I went and picked up the Time this morning. We shall see.

Penguwin

VR Expert
Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
Well... I have had the ZW2 for 7 months now and I am officially tired of it... the Bluetooth connection is absolutely atrocious. It has gotten to the point where I have to factory reset the watch once a day because it loses connection and wont reconnect. Not to mention, when it is connected, i miss half my notifications.

I had the original Pebble and the Pebble Steel and loved both... so, I went and picked up the Time this morning. We shall see.
I'm wondering if you got a lemon / defective ZenWatch 2... I haven't had any issues like that on mine. :-/

None the less, Pebbles are still great watches and hopefully you'll have better luck with this one.