Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default iPhone 4 vs droid bionic

So my og droid died yesterday and with less than 14 days till our friend the bionic comes out I decided to abuse Verizon's return policy and test a phone for a few week. That phone the iPhone 4. The purpose of this little experiment is to compare the bionic with the iphone to see the differences and ultimately witch is better. My first thought are it's smooth as hell but completely backwards. But the screen is so pretty. I will be back later today after a full days use to update my thoughts.

ROM
    Stock Bionic, UD3.3.1 OG

Careful, no swearing in the bionic section!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    rutkind and HatchetBurial like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Default Re: iPhone 4 vs droid bionic

Lol don't be mistaken people I expect to hate this thing and love the bionic. But if I'm wrong and this heavy *** phone is better I will trade my bionic back in and become one of the idouches that I hate so much
    ** Superhero **

Global Posts
    2,017 Global Posts

Apple makes a good product, but it is not close to Android IMHO.

Apple definitely does make a pretty looking product, but I have zero interest in purchasing anything from their company when there are such quality competing products on the market. Even Steve Woz puts his money on Android in the long run. It just has so much more potential.

iPhone definitely has the "smoothness" down. I'm hoping Ice Cream Sandwich will FINALLY bring the Android UI to that point. I could never get an iPhone, though, because of the lack of customization.

Be sure to let us know your thoughts!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahobbs21 View Post
    So my og droid died yesterday and with less than 14 days till our friend the bionic comes out I decided to abuse Verizon's return policy aund test a phone for a few week. That phone the iPhone 4. The purpose of this little experiment is to compare the bionic with the iphone to see the differences and ultimately witch is better. My first thought are it's smooth as hell but completely backwards. But the screen is so pretty. I will be back later today after a full days use to update my thoughts.
    I'm surprised vzw didn't give you crap about data plan stuff

That smoothness is the key to Apple's success. The average user of a smartphone/laptop/tablet doesn't want or need a lot of the customization stuff. While I'm not an apple fan, I can appreciate how smooth and glossy they make everything. The screens are terrific, the UI is fast and glitch free. They're hugely user friendly and that's what sells them. They look pretty and they pretty much work all the time.

That said.......I hope you're right about Aug. 4th and being inside the 14 day window.....otherwise you'd better really like that iPhone4.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,359 Global Posts

I had an iphone and after about a week I got bored with it. Yes it was smooth and just worked but for me I didnt want to have to jailbreak to be able to change the notification tones and all that. But I agree compare them side by side and see which one you like better.

Anyone that claims iOS is "glitch-free" hasn't used an iPhone/iPod touch for an extended period of time.

Have/had a 2nd Gen iPod touch. Once I got my OG Droid, I learned just how frustrating the iOS is. Heck, there were things my Palm Centro did that were better than the iOS...
    Stang68 likes this.

Aside from not agreeing with most of Apple's policies, I find iOS to actually be counter-intuitive. One of my ex's had an iTouch that we used a lot, and I was always fumbling around with it because I could never find things where I thought they should be. It's programmed and coded very well, just not for me.

Meh, iPhone does nothing for me at all. I actually find the UI frustrating to use. Also, I just don't get all the raving about 'buttery smoothness.' I will gladly sacrifice a little 'smoothness' for a phone that I actually enjoy using. Sure my OG Droid annoys me every now and again when it gets bogged down but there is no way I would ever trade it for an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by irl Panda View Post
    Aside from not agreeing with most of Apple's policies, I find iOS to actually be counter-intuitive. One of my ex's had an iTouch that we used a lot, and I was always fumbling around with it because I could never find things where I thought they should be. It's programmed and coded very well, just not for me.
    EXACTLY - I setup my neighbor's iPhone last week and it was smooth, but I did not feel it was as intuitive as I thought it would be. I recommended it for her because she already has an iPad, but myself, coming from BB, I did not like its O/S at all. I showed her how my BB did some of the same things and she said, "That looks much easier!" The Bionic will be my first Android, but watching the D3 videos, it seems pretty good.
    Cory
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Well it is smooth as a can be and its pretty as hell too. Coming of the OG droid these are all nice things also on my drive in listening to music on it was easy and at no point did it freeze like my droid always did. Now lets see how it holds up to 8 hours of use at work while i avoid doing my job!
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by spectre1006 View Post
    I'm surprised vzw didn't give you crap about data plan stuff
    They started too but i had to let them know what the policy is. By the way how is it that i know more then the employees of a Verizon store. Don't they get paid to know what the hell is going on? Blows my mind.
    Stang68 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahobbs21 View Post
    They started too but i had to let them know what the policy is. By the way how is it that i know more then the employees of a Verizon store. Don't they get paid to know what the hell is going on? Blows my mind.
    Sometimes it's not them being stupid so much as it is them hoping you are. If they think they can get you to sign up for tiered data or whatever else, then they'll probably say or do anything.

I don't find the iphone pretty at all. The screen is too small and you've got nothing to look at but a sea of icons which are hard to organize and keep track of over time. I have both an itouch and ipad BTW.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    Banned

Global Posts
    363 Global Posts

Man im breaking down. This storm 2 sucks. Im considering buying the revolution then taking it back as soon the bionic pre-order option becomes available. Help!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiguere View Post
    Man im breaking down. This storm 2 sucks. Im considering buying the revolution then taking it back as soon the bionic pre-order option becomes available. Help!!!
    A Revolution! Say it ain't so! WAIT; could be a few days until pre-order on-line. I know how you feel, my Storm2 is getting old FAST!
    Cory
    Stang68 likes this.

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

i bought a droid 3 on Wednesday and my wife went out and bought an iPhone4 on Friday...

My thoughts..

-iPhone has a better camera (I don't care how many megapixels are on android phones)

-Safari is a little bit faster than the android browser, but not by much

-Home screens go to droid, it's just way better and no widgets on the iPhone, advantage droid

-Smoothness factor goes to iPhone, I have experience much lag on the iPhone, i get it from time to time on my droid 3, but nothing like the Storm 2 I upgraded from...

-Display goes to the iPhone (its just a better technology), however, i love the droid 3 display, nothing wrong with it imho (I know people love to hate on it)

-Typing on virtual keyboard goes to iPhone, but the keyboard on the droid 3 is awesome and I prefer that over the iphone

-Screen size goes to Android. 4' is just right, i hate the 3.5' display on the iPhone, it is just too small, but that's just me lol...I would probably prefer the 4.3 over the 3.5 if your talking bionic vs. iphone

-Apps, not big on apps at all, but i really like the marketplace, but I do know iPhone has more apps to offer so I would say advantage iPhone in this category

-Notifications - SMS goes to iPhone because it's a pop up you can't miss, everything else goes to Android, I like the notification bar on the top of the screen. iPhone you would get a red bubble with a # in it if something new comes through. IMHO blackberry is the king of notifications, and that is the one thing I wish i could have kept from my Storm 2...

-Battery life goes to the iphone

-You can't root the droid 3, not sure if you can the bionic yet either. You can jailbreak the iPhone though...

So even though I felt that iPhone beat out android on a couple of things, they aren't any real deal breakers. I prefer the Droid. It's just a cooler device, i love the feel of it, the home screens and screen sizes were the dealbreakers for me. In terms of the bionic, the biggest dealbreaker would be the LTE (if you live an LTE area)...The droid thought is definitely an upgrade over my Storm 2, even though I feel blackberry has the best notifications in the phone game.
    Thanked by:

Why did you go with the D3, rather than wait for Bionic? Tired of waiting or wanted physical kb?
    Cory

Global Posts
    49 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by corymcnutt View Post
    Why did you go with the D3, rather than wait for Bionic? Tired of waiting or wanted physical kb?
    I prefer the 4' screen over the 4.3', no 4g lte in my area and no plans for it yet either (the phone is fast on wifi anyways), great specs (other than 512mb ram), $100 cheaper, last and not least the physical keyboard
    Last edited by mtva24; 07-24-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Global Posts
    178 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

If I didn't live in an LTE market, I would be tempted to get an iPhone just because of the hardware. Because PSU and the Philly metro area both have LTE, I am getting the Bionic instead.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

Ok day one is in the books. Here is the things I did not really like.
    1. The touch screen is not always responsive.
    2. Their are no apps to download music for free I'm sorry I got use to not paying 1.99 for a song.
    3. The ringtones blow.

That would be the big 3 for today I think I'm starting to realize that I am a sucker for customization , perhaps I will grow use to it but today I missed my droid. See you wall tomorrow.

Global Posts
    177 Global Posts
    ROM
    liquidsmooth

i agree with the comments about not being able to customize but the phone is smooth.i had iphone 1,2and3 and as soon as i got my droid i never looked back i hacked my iphones but never did anything like what i did on my droid and im still finding stuff i can do two years later.My friend has a iphone 4 and the screen is crap the battery is crap he has used my droid thats 2 years older because his iphone was not working or the battery was dead way before mine android is the hacker phone if you want a phone email and mp3 go for the iphone if you want to hack and do anything under the sun with your phone go with the bionic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast