Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    DROID Master

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    ROM

Default Which Vzw Phone to get on Black Friday?

Looking to switch from Sprint to Vzw on Black Friday weekend. 2 phones for wife and me.

My top phone choices are:

Motorola Razr M Walmart offering $100 gift card with phone. Not sure of phone price.

Motorola Razr Maxx Best Buy offering it for FREE. It is a year old already but will at least get Jelly Bean 4.1 though for the next two years that is it. Battery is the plus.

Have not seen any other good Vzw deals for BF yet.
    [
    icu

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 11/Tinykernel

Default Re: Which Vzw Phone to get on Black Friday?

If you are interested in the M then go to Amazon Wireless - they are offering it for $.01 right now!

I was actually seriously considering the M or the Razr Maxx. They are both quite similar in many ways, but the main differences in my mind are:

The Maxx has the battery that will make it through almost any day and then some/The M's battery is "good" but I know I'd not make it through a day so charging it up a few times would probably be necessary every day.

The CPU in the M is VASTLY superior to the Maxx so general performance and speed would be much better.

Maxx has 32GB and 8 for the M, but it's got the ol' SD card slot

Although the MAXX's battery is VERY tempting I'd go for the M and tbh I was close to pulling the trigger on it. I really like it - main downside vs. other "higher end" phones is the screen, but I like the size, build quality, the look (it's not edget to edge, but I like the reduction in wasted space) and I could deal with the screen - only issue is the battery. If the M had a 3300 battery or a removable battery I think it'd be my next phone. (the other knock is that it's locked down so Rooting/ROMing would not be in the future).

Anyone else think that apples to apples price to price that the original MAXX is better than the M?

------------------------

I'd love to hear other people's opinions and if they've heard of any expected BF deals - my goal is to see if I can get a deal on a Galaxy S3, but if nothing comes up below $100 I'll just snap up a 32GB Galaxy Nexus most likely. Having a tinkerer phone is most important to me and as old as the GNex hardware is it will still be "relevant" for at least another year and will be supported by devs for years to come.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    DROID Master

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    ROM

I could get a Galaxy S3, but it's is darn huge to carry and use.

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD
    [
    icu

Global Posts
    416 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM 11/Tinykernel

I've done a fair bit of research (i.e. watching reading a bunch of reviews) and I've concluded that the M is a much better choice than the OG Maxx. I also feel it's the best Android smartphone available right now that isn't huge. If keeping a phone in a small form factor is important I don't think you can do better than the M for Android on VZW and you get the biggest screen possible at its size.

The more I look into the more I really like the M - I think the only thing I'd miss is the tinkering, but I think it's powerful enough and is a nice durable package. The other point is some have complained about the camera which is a shame.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    DROID Master

Global Posts
    800 Global Posts
    ROM

Ordered a pair of M's for two cents from Amazon

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk HD
    [