This week is iOS's last chance

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I disagree about staying on top of the market. I think this will just solidify the two horse race, and android and apple will be swapping places in the charts consistently from now on.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that apple usually keeps some features close to the vest until the next iPhone unveiling. There still is more to come from iOS 7.
That maybe true as far as the 2 horse race but in terms of software Android also has more things to offer and although the latest IOS7 updates are all good, they are not all that innovative. Google has been doing great things and adding major innovative features. Apple's aren't even as inventive as BB 10 imo. Plus companies like Samsung and HTC are also adding new innovation every year which makes Android as a whole appear to be coming out with new ideas at a much faster pace.

Sent from my Nexus 4

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I was seriously considering getting a HTC One next week, but after what Apple showed today, I may get the 5 and wait for iOS7. I liked the new swipe from the bottom tray, airdrop (I think that's what it's called), the new depth (or layers, or whatever you want to call it), and the new icons. I still don't like Siri, but it looks like they upgraded it a lot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta
I've got a One and 2 iphone 5's in my house along with my Nexus 4. The One is such a sweet phone. With Nova launcher on it you get an amazing experience and a gorgeous screen. It's super fast and the touchscreen is so smooth I think it rivals ios. I think you would be bored stiff after using Android.

Sent from my Nexus 4

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
That maybe true as far as the 2 horse race but in terms of software Android also has more things to offer and although the latest IOS7 updates are all good, they are not all that innovative. Google has been doing great things and adding major innovative features. Apple's aren't even as inventive as BB 10 imo. Plus companies like Samsung and HTC are also adding new innovation every year which makes Android as a whole appear to be coming out with new ideas at a much faster pace.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Google hasn't been innovating either. The last innovative thing from Google I can think of is expandable notifications, but that isn't even all that innovative. (More of a natural progression) Now would probably be the most innovative thing they've done recently.

Neither has Samsung or HTC. All of the 'innovations' that Samsung introduced on the S4, for example, existed prior to being included in the S4.

Also, you need to take into consideration the aims of each OS. That explains some of the differences, and it also explains why some of the things android has, like widgets, don't make android better than iOS.

I'll say again what I've said in past threads like this: at this point in time, it is almost impossible to come up with anything new or truly innovative. Everything has been done already, and the only thing that can be done is refinement of those ideas. This is true of Samsung's eye tracking, the new features of iOS, and pretty much everything else.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the big deal. There are different markets for different people to find what they like in a smart phone. I commend apple for taking a step forward in development after 5 or six years, but i dont expect them to become like android. There is obviously a reason why people buy an iPhone over an android, and where's the fun in all of the OSes integrating to having the same features? That destroys the range of decision making for the consumer, and is not at all good for the market.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Google hasn't been innovating either. The last innovative thing from Google I can think of is expandable notifications, but that isn't even all that innovative. (More of a natural progression) Now would probably be the most innovative thing they've done recently.

Neither has Samsung or HTC. All of the 'innovations' that Samsung introduced on the S4, for example, existed prior to being included in the S4.

Also, you need to take into consideration the aims of each OS. That explains some of the differences, and it also explains why some of the things android has, like widgets, don't make android better than iOS.

I'll say again what I've said in past threads like this: at this point in time, it is almost impossible to come up with anything new or truly innovative. Everything has been done already, and the only thing that can be done is refinement of those ideas. This is true of Samsung's eye tracking, the new features of iOS, and pretty much everything else.
I couldn't disagree more. To just casually mention Google Now as a throw in is laughable to say the least. It just won the best everyday utility award Google Now wins grand prize for 'best everyday utility' at 2013 UX awards | Android Central as well as innovation of the year on Popular science Popular Science picks Google Now as the Innovation of the Year | Android Central. These are major awards.

The irony is that you don't think that widgets would make iOS better, but now that I have 2 iPhone 5's in my household I am on the direct receiving end of features that are lacking on these phones. The most important is a toggle widget. iOS6 has wifi problems so I have to constantly ask my kids to go in and turn off data. It's a major pain for a 13 year old to have to not only do this but to remember to do it all the time. So now that something like this has been added in iOS7 it is a big positive.

Innovation is how your device allows you to better use the phone. Samsung chose to add in more gesture controls and hover commands etc. this is innovative. It may not be something for everyone, but neither is Siri or a camera for that matter. It's about how we are able to adapt to the broader uses that are available. A chainsaw can be used to cut down trees or to carve out something artistically amazing. But if Apple doesn't provide a chainsaw then there is no option. You have to agree that simple widgets like these open up tons of possibilities for innovative ideas and features to happen. Some are big, some are small. Things like Zooper widget, UCCW, Dashclock etc. are smart utilities that are all innovative in their own right that are only available because of Androids open environment. We are so used to seeing them on Android by the boatload that we don't put nearly as much weight on them as innovation. Apple comes out with something and hard codes it into the system and it's heralded as amazing when it doesn't even allow customization at all. I can add power toggles, data and wifi usage reports and many other things to my notification shade with a host of different options and make it exactly how I like it. Ironically I prefer to have a toggle widget on my main home screen instead of the notification shade. I removed it from there which allows more room for notifications. Apple puts in stock reports into the default notifications.... hmm really useful to 90% of the population.

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Hmn, I have to say that I think it's a very nice update indeed. Let's put other operating systems aside for a minute, these new updates look great and add a lot of much needed new flexibility to iOS. It looks great too. It will no doubt make most of ios's loyal fans happy.

Now, when we compare iOS7 to android then yes, apple haven't really added any new killer apps and services. One wonders how the maps will compare to Google, particularly as the new Google maps is rolling out now and Google now is getting really good at voice recognition and services.

In many ways I think Jony Ive was on a bit of a hiding to nothing, and I personally think he has done a great job with an impossible task. IOS looks much better now, has better services and is looking far less staid.

Is it a worthwhile upgrade? Absolutely.
Will it cause a Mass migration from android? Absolutely not.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Why do you always say this? Android is the only one that has this because it is their feature that they utilize and market. Just go to www.mycolorscreen.com and tell me that no one is using widgets.

All of the manufacturers have data to support the fact that most customers don't use them. Android is the only one that has it because other manufacturers have realized consumers don't care about it.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't disagree more. To just casually mention Google Now as a throw in is laughable to say the least. It just won the best everyday utility award Google Now wins grand prize for 'best everyday utility' at 2013 UX awards | Android Central as well as innovation of the year on Popular science Popular Science picks Google Now as the Innovation of the Year | Android Central. These are major awards.

The irony is that you don't think that widgets would make iOS better, but now that I have 2 iPhone 5's in my household I am on the direct receiving end of features that are lacking on these phones. The most important is a toggle widget. iOS6 has wifi problems so I have to constantly ask my kids to go in and turn off data. It's a major pain for a 13 year old to have to not only do this but to remember to do it all the time. So now that something like this has been added in iOS7 it is a big positive.

Innovation is how your device allows you to better use the phone. Samsung chose to add in more gesture controls and hover commands etc. this is innovative. It may not be something for everyone, but neither is Siri or a camera for that matter. It's about how we are able to adapt to the broader uses that are available. A chainsaw can be used to cut down trees or to carve out something artistically amazing. But if Apple doesn't provide a chainsaw then there is no option. You have to agree that simple widgets like these open up tons of possibilities for innovative ideas and features to happen. Some are big, some are small. Things like Zooper widget, UCCW, Dashclock etc. are smart utilities that are all innovative in their own right that are only available because of Androids open environment. We are so used to seeing them on Android by the boatload that we don't put nearly as much weight on them as innovation. Apple comes out with something and hard codes it into the system and it's heralded as amazing when it doesn't even allow customization at all. I can add power toggles, data and wifi usage reports and many other things to my notification shade with a host of different options and make it exactly how I like it. Ironically I prefer to have a toggle widget on my main home screen instead of the notification shade. I removed it from there which allows more room for notifications. Apple puts in stock reports into the default notifications.... hmm really useful to 90% of the population.

To be frank, you don't really understand what innovation means. As I said, eye tracking and gestures such as that existed before samsung put them in the s4. They are not innovative. They are a repackaging of existing ideas. Everything else you list is not at all innovative either. They are all natural progressions of existing technology, which by their very nature means they aren't innovative.

Google, like Apple, may have sparks of innovation here and then. (Like Now) But they haven't created anything truly innovative in the mobile space in quite some time, and won't for quite some time to come. As I said, it isn't their fault, though, because there is very little (at the moment) that is left to innovate.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
All of the manufacturers have data to support the fact that most customers don't use them. Android is the only one that has it because other manufacturers have realized consumers don't care about it.

It may not be something everyone uses, but I will tell you this. Every single person I have seen with an Android phone has used some type of widget being used. They may not use them like a power user would, but after using their phone they start to utilize the opportunities available to them. It's about choice and opportunity. Android allows you to make many cakes because it supplies you with all the ingredients to do anything you like. Apple just gives you a cake. Some people may only decide to make one cake all the time with Android, but there are still lots of people who decide to be creative and make many interesting cakes.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
It may not be something everyone uses, but I will tell you this. Every single person I have seen with an Android phone has used some type of widget being used. They may not use them like a power user would, but after using their phone they start to utilize the opportunities available to them. It's about choice and opportunity. Android allows you to make many cakes because it supplies you with all the ingredients to do anything you like. Apple just gives you a cake. Some people may only decide to make one cake all the time with Android, but there are still lots of people who decide to be creative and make many interesting cakes.

Also keep in mind that there are 900 million android devices out there, so anecdotal evidence doesn't mean anything in these discussions.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I provided mycolorscreen.com. You haven't provided anything in terms of evidence.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Manufacturers of android phones have said so. And one website, no doubt populated by people that also frequent forums such as this, is not evidence of anything.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Can we jump off of the "my source is holier than thou band wagon," please? Any tom, ****, and harry can Google a phrase and snatch a link to an article that will support their cause. All it leads to is bunch of posts cluttered with links from only half reputable, at best, tech sites. Yes, widgets are a gift from the android gods. They are useful and are a fun way to customize your phone if it is what you are into. However, the lack of widgets does not lower the worthiness of any other OS. Since it is an isolated constant in android, only, it would prove as the "odd ball out" per say. A "gimmick," but a useful one, indeed.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
So almost everything they have to compete against how far iOS has fallen behind Android will be on the table tomorrow. My prediction: It's going to be a fail of epic proportions and the tech media's reaction is going to be a resounding,
"Seriously Apple? That's it?!?"
Things are going to plummet steadily from there. I wonder if there's room for two companies in Waterloo? Or Finland?

If I'm wrong, I swear to you all I'll eat my hat. With pics.
Even Apple agrees with you. Their capitulation (finally) on things like multi-tasking and menus and live wallpapers is a clear sign of desperation. They would never ever have done this unless they thought there was no other option. They are doing things now that they have mocked competitors for in the past.

Will it work? Probably. They have built up such a devoted cult around this phone that they could probably sell anything with an apple logo. Apple people will declare it "Genius" just as they always do, and pretend that Apple came up with it completely on their own.

IMO it will backfire...because there will be far less of a learning curve between iOS and Android. Android hardware will advance faster and more people will jump ship than otherwise might have. The era of Jobs is officially over. Now the masses know what Android nerds have known for years. This release removes any lingering doubt.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
This is what I got out of yesterday's keynote.

446nJ9F.jpg

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Even Apple agrees with you. Their capitulation (finally) on things like multi-tasking and menus and live wallpapers is a clear sign of desperation. They would never ever have done this unless they thought there was no other option. They are doing things now that they have mocked competitors for in the past.

Will it work? Probably. They have built up such a devoted cult around this phone that they could probably sell anything with an apple logo. Apple people will declare it "Genius" just as they always do, and pretend that Apple came up with it completely on their own.

IMO it will backfire...because there will be far less of a learning curve between iOS and Android. Android hardware will advance faster and more people will jump ship than otherwise might have. The era of Jobs is officially over. Now the masses know what Android nerds have known for years. This release removes any lingering doubt.

They don't have live wallpapers. What menus are you talking about?

Also, people seem to be under the mistaken impression that the functionality moves this closer to android. It doesn't. There will still be a learning curve going from iOS to android. The way iOS works is still the same; what's changed is how it looks and some of the features they've added.