This week is iOS's last chance

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Considering the response so far, everything you posted above is nonsense. I'm not quite sure where you're getting that this update will be two years behind, because even iOS 6 wasn't that far behind. The only major area where it lagged was in design, which has been remedied here.

I guess I was thinking of UI navigation, gesture typing, NFC, multi-tasking, notifications, widgets, etc. Basic functionality items. The aesthetics I are entirely subjective; some people like their design, others don't.

The response of iOS users SHOULD be ecstatic, because for them it's a huge update. When compared to the competition, it's catching up. Clearly "I guess I'm watching this through different lenses than others" suggests I differ in my opinions than other people. Not sure why you would call it "nonsense" for me to be unimpressed from a technological innovation standpoint. And the 1-2 years behind thing is what I perceive and what I've understood to be the general consensus among Android users when comparing the features and functionality of android versions to iOS versions in these very forums.

They hype was for something that challenged the mobile paradigm. The actuality was "we can do that too".

jdub1981

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
UI screens they showed at WWDC look like a unicorn puked all over it. It looks to me as if they changed the interface and made it more friendly to children and old people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I guess I was thinking of UI navigation, gesture typing, NFC, multi-tasking, notifications, widgets, etc. Basic functionality items. The aesthetics I are entirely subjective; some people like their design, others don't.
None of those things you listed are areas where apple has lagged. Not a single one. You're viewing it through the lens of 'android has these things, so anyone else that doesn't automatically is behind android' which is a very poor way of looking at it.

The response of iOS users SHOULD be ecstatic, because for them it's a huge update. When compared to the competition, it's catching up. Clearly "I guess I'm watching this through different lenses than others" suggests I differ in my opinions than other people. Not sure why you would call it "nonsense" for me to be unimpressed from a technological innovation standpoint. And the 1-2 years behind thing is what I perceive and what I've understood to be the general consensus among Android users when comparing the features and functionality of android versions to iOS versions in these very forums.

They hype was for something that challenged the mobile paradigm. The actuality was "we can do that too".

Where in gods name did you see the hype for something that 'challenged the mobile paradigm'? I haven't seen that anywhere. As a matter of fact, all I've seen is exactly what they delivered: an update with significantly better usability and features, and a complete overhaul of the design. That's it. No nonsense about paradigms. (Apple doesn't even go that far in their pages for iOS, which they HAVE done in the past)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
None of those things you listed are areas where apple has lagged. Not a single one. You're viewing it through the lens of 'android has these things, so anyone else that doesn't automatically is behind android' which is a very poor way of looking at it.

Where in gods name did you see the hype for something that 'challenged the mobile paradigm'? I haven't seen that anywhere. As a matter of fact, all I've seen is exactly what they delivered: an update with significantly better usability and features, and a complete overhaul of the design. That's it. No nonsense about paradigms. (Apple doesn't even go that far in their pages for iOS, which they HAVE done in the past)

We probably have different sources of information and different interpretation of common sources. We disagree. Move along.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I think there were some good updates in OS7. The notification stuff is great, the ability to turn on/off wifi, bluetooth etc. using Siri is excellent. The new look and other updates are all good.

BUT!..... I would have to agree with NothingisTrue in that there is really nothing being introduced that Android (or Blackberry for that matter) doesn't already have in place. So I think that there are 2 ways that consumers will look at this update based on who they are.

1. The low tech consumer think the Apple experience is an excellent one, and it is for many people. They are okay with simple updates and things that do what they are supposed to do based on how Apple wants people to use their OS and their phones. The apps and features available on the iPhone is more than they can use on a daily basis anyway.

2. The high tech consumer will now think Apple is trailing Android and other devices by such a wide margin that almost any feature they add is already available for Android. This makes them look like the follower instead of the leader. Even if their lock screen notification center is better than Android it still seems like it is a copy cat experience. The addition of custom keyboards just looks like they stole the idea from Android. So when consumers are looking for the bleeding edge of technology who are they now looking at? It used to be Apple, but it isn't anymore.

So regardless of who we are we still have choices and options in technology. This update is exactly what I expected. Nothing earth shattering, but also some changes that will help to make even legacy iPhones feel new again. Will Apple go the way of the dinosaur because of this update? Not a chance. Will they stay on top in the market? I doubt it.

On that note I am off to go buy an iPhone for my youngest daughter for her birthday. That is 2 iPhones in our family in less than 2 months. I feel like I may have sold my technical soul.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Will Apple go the way of the dinosaur because of this update?

No way in hell they could have flopped because of this update. They could have come out and said, "it's already perfect, quit whining. no update." and people would have eaten it alive :) That's not a mark against Apple, because you're 100% right that it IS a great experience for the majority of their customers.

Will they stay on top in the market?

As WP and BB are no threat, Android and iOS will remain the top two for the forseeable future. Combined they control around 90% of global marketshare already. I'd love to see some new players, because the "rock the world" culture thrives more in a more competitive atmosphere. Clearly Google and Apple are both going to push their respective systems in different ways, but there are no real threats to either right now and I wouldn't expect any major market share changes during the next year or so, at least.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if anyone is keeping up with what Apple is unveiling today, but they have rebuilt the UI from the ground up in iOS 7. Looks like they have also taken ideas and tweaks from the jailbreak community. Don't know if anyone cares, but thought I'd just let some know what was going down.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
More like they just copied the look of Android. Very disappointing. I wonder if they'll at least add something of their own creation within the next few years cause it doesn't look like it this year so far.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
No way in hell they could have flopped because of this update. They could have come out and said, "it's already perfect, quit whining. no update." and people would have eaten it alive :) That's not a mark against Apple, because you're 100% right that it IS a great experience for the majority of their customers.

As WP and BB are no threat, Android and iOS will remain the top two for the forseeable future. Combined they control around 90% of global marketshare already. I'd love to see some new players, because the "rock the world" culture thrives more in a more competitive atmosphere. Clearly Google and Apple are both going to push their respective systems in different ways, but there are no real threats to either right now and I wouldn't expect any major market share changes during the next year or so, at least.
Well BB is still just trying to solidify itself and get back some of it's old customers and maybe a few new ones. WP on the other hand is struggling I would say, they've been around for a few years and have little to show for it.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I think there were some good updates in OS7. The notification stuff is great, the ability to turn on/off wifi, bluetooth etc. using Siri is excellent. The new look and other updates are all good.

BUT!..... I would have to agree with NothingisTrue in that there is really nothing being introduced that Android (or Blackberry for that matter) doesn't already have in place. So I think that there are 2 ways that consumers will look at this update based on who they are.

1. The low tech consumer think the Apple experience is an excellent one, and it is for many people. They are okay with simple updates and things that do what they are supposed to do based on how Apple wants people to use their OS and their phones. The apps and features available on the iPhone is more than they can use on a daily basis anyway.

2. The high tech consumer will now think Apple is trailing Android and other devices by such a wide margin that almost any feature they add is already available for Android. This makes them look like the follower instead of the leader. Even if their lock screen notification center is better than Android it still seems like it is a copy cat experience. The addition of custom keyboards just looks like they stole the idea from Android. So when consumers are looking for the bleeding edge of technology who are they now looking at? It used to be Apple, but it isn't anymore.

So regardless of who we are we still have choices and options in technology. This update is exactly what I expected. Nothing earth shattering, but also some changes that will help to make even legacy iPhones feel new again. Will Apple go the way of the dinosaur because of this update? Not a chance. Will they stay on top in the market? I doubt it.

On that note I am off to go buy an iPhone for my youngest daughter for her birthday. That is 2 iPhones in our family in less than 2 months. I feel like I may have sold my technical soul.

I disagree about staying on top of the market. I think this will just solidify the two horse race, and android and apple will be swapping places in the charts consistently from now on.

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that apple usually keeps some features close to the vest until the next iPhone unveiling. There still is more to come from iOS 7.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Straight up on the thread title -

Last chance for what? Apple, iOS, and iPhone aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Their only challenger in terms of OEMs is Samsung. Android is an open platform that anybody can use so of course it's going to get higher marketshare numbers. Last chance? lol.

McSkullough

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I was seriously considering getting a HTC One next week, but after what Apple showed today, I may get the 5 and wait for iOS7. I liked the new swipe from the bottom tray, airdrop (I think that's what it's called), the new depth (or layers, or whatever you want to call it), and the new icons. I still don't like Siri, but it looks like they upgraded it a lot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I was seriously considering getting a HTC One next week, but after what Apple showed today, I may get the 5 and wait for iOS7. I liked the new swipe from the bottom tray, airdrop (I think that's what it's called), the new depth (or layers, or whatever you want to call it), and the new icons. I still don't like Siri, but it looks like they upgraded it a lot.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Ehhh. The One would still be better for most, plus its going to be a long wait for 7. In my case I'll stick with what I have (One and S4) and see what apple brings to the table this Fall as far as hardware. I've got an iPad, so I'll get to use iOS 7 regardless.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

ICEmayne

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I still believe Apple will turn things around. This was just a new UI they debuted. I'm interested in what they will do in the hardware department with the next iPhone.

As far as the new UI goes, I think they did a good job. It shows that they can still think outside the box. That box being one of simple updates (ex: iOS 6). I feel that Apple gets stuck in the "innovation" box too often. They are known for innovation and everyone automatically thinks that every product/ software update is supposed to innovate. It is impossible to make every product and software iteration innovated (did that make sense, lol). The S3 was innovated IMO, but in my eyes, the S4 was, for lack of a better term, a simple update to the S3. Anyway, as scattered as my thoughts were, that's my two cents.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I still believe Apple will turn things around. This was just a new UI they debuted. I'm interested in what they will do in the hardware department with the next iPhone.

As far as the new UI goes, I think they did a good job. It shows that they can still think outside the box. That box being one of simple updates (ex: iOS 6). I feel that Apple gets stuck in the "innovation" box too often. They are known for innovation and everyone automatically thinks that every product/ software update is supposed to innovate. It is impossible to make every product and software iteration innovated (did that make sense, lol). The S3 was innovated IMO, but in my eyes, the S4 was, for lack of a better term, a simple update to the S3. Anyway, as scattered as my thoughts were, that's my two cents.

Oh I wouldn't worry about that too much. Not many people have expected Apple to innovate for a while. Though, I have to say while the new UI is definitely nothing that we haven't seen before, it does look 100x better than it did before so that's something.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Oh I wouldn't worry about that too much. Not many people have expected Apple to innovate for a while. Though, I have to say while the new UI is definitely nothing that we haven't seen before, it does look 100x better than it did before so that's something.

Hey, that new Mac Pro is freaking badass! I would definitely consider that innovating.

ICEmayne

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

True. The turn around for them has to start somewhere.

CR6

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Sad that iOS7 is still a year or two behind Android. Still no widgets, no NFC support, oh but wait, they have IRadio and transparent icons...woot woot!
Color me impressed! :p

As for the S4 being an updated S3, kinda. The hardware specs are much better, which makes it a little more than a "slight" update imo.

tap'n

ICEmayne

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Sad that iOS7 is still a year or two behind Android. Still no widgets, no NFC support, oh but wait, they have IRadio and transparent icons...woot woot!

As for the S4 being an updated S3, kinda. The hardware specs are much better, which makes it a little more than a "slight" update imo.

tap'n

How do you know there is no NFC support? The new iPhone hasn't been unveiled yet which leaves the support for NFC a possibility.This was purely a software update.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

tap'n

Again, not having widgets isn't a downside for iOS. Android is the only mobile os that has them...

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well BB is still just trying to solidify itself and get back some of it's old customers and maybe a few new ones. WP on the other hand is struggling I would say, they've been around for a few years and have little to show for it.
I was speaking to the guy I buy my phones from today and he is a BB fan. He has the Z10 and loves it. He told me the new Q10 has been selling really well. For the average person that wants a good typing machine with basic Internet I think it's a great device.

Sent from my Nexus 4