Moto X vs. LG G2

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I love my MX but am drawn to the LG G2 for the screen size and much better camera. Can anybody share personal experience with the G2 relative to the MX?

Specifically;
Knock on/off vs active notifications?
Camera comparison real world?
Touchless control vs Whatever LG uses, google now perhaps?
LG UI additions that might be of interest?

ps. not looking for moral support on a decision, just curious if the G2 may be a better fit for my personal usage.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

b_slow1

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Re: Any LG G2 owners compare to MX?

It's difficult to compare these two phones because they offer such different experiences.

In regards to the Knock Knock on the LG, it's quite cool. It's an easy way to turn your phone screen on (and off). However, when it comes to notifications, Active Notifications seems to be easier for me. You don't have to do anything; just pick up the phone. Then, with a swipe, you can respond directly.

Camera is no contest. LG G2 has the best camera on a smartphone on the market, in my opinion. We don't know how goo the Samsung Galaxy S5 is going to do, but right now, LG G2 is the best. Moto X camera is average at best. Additionally, if you like to manually adjust all of your settings, LG has far more options than the simplistic interface of the Moto X. Moto makes it easy to take pretty good pictures quickly and easily (camera twist feature included), but LG takes the better pictures.

There is nothing to compare with Touchless Control. Moto X and the Droids in VZW are the only phones that can do it. It's personally my favorite feature, and why I picked the Moto X over the G2. Other phones updated to KitKat have the ability to talk to their phones when already on the Google Now panel, or when the phone is already on and unlocked. So the G2 can do that, but from the off position, only the X can do it.

LG G2 has a lot of features thrown in that the Moto X doesn't have. A lot of that has to do with the near-stock Android found on the Moto X. However the X still has features like the Touchless control, and Drive Assist that are very nice additions. The G2 has a lot more: It has features for pausing a video when you look away, it can be used as a remote control, it has a slew of additional camera features like dual-shot, there is a feature to have multiple apps on screen at once for easier multitasking.

Additional things to take into account are the buttons on the back of the G2. Some people like them, some don't. I have VZW and for some reason, the buttons on the VZW version are different than on the other versions, which I didn't like, though the positioning was good. You also have a 5.2", 1080P screen in the LGG2 vs. a 4.7" 720P screen on the Moto X.

So it depends on what you're looking for. You'll never find the "perfect" phone; it doesn't exist. What I did was I put all of the features I wanted on a list in order of importance, and i picked the phone that fit that the best. So in the end, I picked the Moto X.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I love my MX but am drawn to the LG G2 for the screen size and much better camera. Can anybody share personal experience with the G2 relative to the MX?

Specifically;
Knock on/off vs active notifications?
Camera comparison real world?
Touchless control vs Whatever LG uses, google now perhaps?
LG UI additions that might be of interest?

ps. not looking for moral support on a decision, just curious if the G2 may be a better fit for my personal usage.

The only reason why I think it would be a good idea to switch, would be if you absolutely need a better camera. Software wise the Moto X blows the G2 out of the water.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Software wise the Moto X blows the G2 out of the water.

This.

I'd also note that when the next version of Android is released, I feel certain that the Moto X will get it. I would not feel any certainty about the G2 getting it at all or in any timely manner.

anon(98566)

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site

A good explanation of the differences has already been provided. But I will tell you that I had a G2 that I got at launch in November. Since about January, I had been drawn to a Moto X and eventually picked one up. After a month of swapping back and forth (Sprint makes it very easy), I ended up ditching the G2 and keeping the Moto X.

The G2 has a beautiful screen. It is large, high-resolution, and color that just pops. Every time I switched back to the G2, that was the first thing I noticed. The camera is also superior, thought I have taken some great pictures recently with my X (post 4.4.2 update, which may or may not have made a difference).

The Moto X feels great in the hand. It just fits, without being too big or too small.

The buttons on the G2 were good. I did not mind the placement on the back at all, and found it rather intuitive after a day or two of using it. Knock-On was okay, but I often found that I was knock-knock...knock-knock-knocking before it actually came ON.

The G2 was fast, until I started loading apps on it. Over time, it slowed down. The X was fast when it was new, and after adding all the other apps I use regularly, it's still fast. The G2 has a better processor on paper, but the X seems to manage it's load better.

Sound on the X is great, even with a single speaker to the rear. The G2 has a single downward facing speaker that sounded good, but when in a pocket, was often muffled making it hard to hear when the phone rings.

I like the Active Notifications, especially with the new "What's Up?" command. It fits well, looks good, and sounds good.

Oh, and one more thing...the GPS on the G2 was always poor for me. I play Ingress, often from my office. My X has no problem keeping a GPS signal inside the building, and is very fast to acquire and maintain a satellite signal from my desk. My G2 would not get a signal indoors, at all, and even outside in less than ideal conditions would struggle to maintain any kind of a signal.

For me, the X is best (for now). Your results may differ.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Thanks to all the replies!!

I pulled the trigger last night and bought one. Seems the only way to know is to try the G2 and resell it if I don't care for it. I will report back with my findings for others who may be wondering.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

The only reason why I think it would be a good idea to switch, would be if you absolutely need a better camera. Software wise the Moto X blows the G2 out of the water.

I agree with you, I bought my moto X for the software alone. See for me, I love stock vanilla Android kit Kat. I really don't like any user interfaces from the manufacture over Android.

Posted via Android Central App

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

I would probably at least put nova launcher on and most likely root and run CM11. Still love MX form factor and that may be why I can't leave it.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site

I almost got a Verizon G2 before Moto Maker was an option. Reviews citing GPS issues caused me to hold off. I was enticed by the screen, battery and camera though.

It's funny after trying the G2 in store, my impression was that it had one of the best smart phone cameras, but you can still find people complaining about it. Particularly one complaint is it is too slow to focus.

I don't like the Verizon back & buttons (redesigned for wireless charging.) I liked holding the AT&T version better.

Sent from my Moto X

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site

My sister-in-law had a G2. She disliked the *knock knock* gesture and especially hated the buttons on the back (Verizon model, for clarity). Her phone also became completely unusable after a few months for various reasons. She picked up a Moto X a couple weeks ago and seems to be happier.

She's not particularly tech literate, so take the anecdote for what it is.

eric002

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site

A good explanation of the differences has already been provided. But I will tell you that I had a G2 that I got at launch in November. Since about January, I had been drawn to a Moto X and eventually picked one up. After a month of swapping back and forth (Sprint makes it very easy), I ended up ditching the G2 and keeping the Moto X.

The G2 has a beautiful screen. It is large, high-resolution, and color that just pops. Every time I switched back to the G2, that was the first thing I noticed. The camera is also superior, thought I have taken some great pictures recently with my X (post 4.4.2 update, which may or may not have made a difference).

The Moto X feels great in the hand. It just fits, without being too big or too small.

The buttons on the G2 were good. I did not mind the placement on the back at all, and found it rather intuitive after a day or two of using it. Knock-On was okay, but I often found that I was knock-knock...knock-knock-knocking before it actually came ON.

The G2 was fast, until I started loading apps on it. Over time, it slowed down. The X was fast when it was new, and after adding all the other apps I use regularly, it's still fast. The G2 has a better processor on paper, but the X seems to manage it's load better.

Sound on the X is great, even with a single speaker to the rear. The G2 has a single downward facing speaker that sounded good, but when in a pocket, was often muffled making it hard to hear when the phone rings.

I like the Active Notifications, especially with the new "What's Up?" command. It fits well, looks good, and sounds good.

Oh, and one more thing...the GPS on the G2 was always poor for me. I play Ingress, often from my office. My X has no problem keeping a GPS signal inside the building, and is very fast to acquire and maintain a satellite signal from my desk. My G2 would not get a signal indoors, at all, and even outside in less than ideal conditions would struggle to maintain any kind of a signal.

For me, the X is best (for now). Your results may differ.

you know, I must agree even before I bought my x, I was looking at the g2. See, for me though, the buttons on the back were a little bit of an issue. On paper, you're right, the G2 is faster, but the way the X is setup with the custom chip, custom software and all is just perfect and I'm glad that everyone can see that about the phone as well.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to all the replies!!

I pulled the trigger last night and bought one. Seems the only way to know is to try the G2 and resell it if I don't care for it. I will report back with my findings for others who may be wondering.

Cool, let us know which one you decide on

Bill Hong

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site

Over the Christmas break my son badly needed an upgrade to his phone, and after looking at the options, I thought the G2 would be a good choice for him. He tried it in the verizon store, liked it and we got it. So far he seems happy with it, certainly he's not reported any problems, and he uses the camera quite a bit. I think the good battery life is also useful for him. Granted he's at school and doesn't drive, so things like GPS are of secondary importance. At the time I was also considering the G2 for when my upgrade was coming at the beginning of this month, and frankly the Moto X wasn't even on the list of options at first. But the more I researched the choices (and deciding between getting a new device now vs. waiting for the new versions of the Galaxy, HTC One etc.) It came down to the X and the Droid Maxx being the other main choices, mainly because of software features and a fairly stock Android UI. In the end it was the size of the Moto X, the customizability (deciding not to get another black phone for a change), and the chance to get out of the 2 year contract treadmill that has turned me to the X.

I still believe the G2 is great device, and would have no trouble recommending anybody to look it over. My other son is a Samsung guy and my wife likes iPhones, so choosing what fits your needs is a given in our household, and provides good opportunities to see firsthand how the different devices work.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site

I would probably at least put nova launcher on and most likely root and run CM11. Still love MX form factor and that may be why I can't leave it.

Personally, the ONLY reason I use an alternate launcher on my Moto X is because I hate the paginated app drawer that is the only option on the stock launcher. I have no idea why they decided to move away from the vertical scrolling one, but I find that it is always much easier to find my apps... Especially with the absurd number I have on my phone.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

Personally, the ONLY reason I use an alternate launcher on my Moto X is because I hate the paginated app drawer that is the only option on the stock launcher. I have no idea why they decided to move away from the vertical scrolling one, but I find that it is always much easier to find my apps... Especially with the absurd number I have on my phone.

It's part of creating a consistent experience across the device. The homepages are horizontal scrolling, so...

Anyway, I like it. I think it's much better this way.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: Any LG G2 owners compare to Moto X?

Why not look at N5 instead? Its almost G2 but with stock Android. Better screen and better camera.....true touchless control might be coming to N5 as well soon

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Why not look at N5 instead? Its almost G2 but with stock Android. Better screen and better camera.....true touchless control might be coming to N5 as well soon

Better screen and camera? Every review and comment I have seen had pegged the screen and camera as better on the g2.

I did consider a N5 but there are hardware and software goodies on the g2 that appeal to me, ie. Knock, physical camera button, great camera, larger screen, some ui elements, battery life.

Moto x has just been a trooper lately tho. Battery life is so good and it just works smoothly and efficiently 99% of the time. I find touchless control hit and miss, probably because I don't use it much. Obviously the more you use something the better you get, which is why I can work the camera at above average levels, lots of practice.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site

Better camera and screen then on Moto X I meant. Battery life on MX and N5 are about the same to me. I get 5 hours screen time on N5 and 6 on Moto, but I usually only use it for 2-3 so its not an issue for me. N5 is somewhat a step down from G2 but you get pure Google and step up from MX

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Yes i agree with that assessment. I think N5 isn't enough of a step up (some would say a lateral step) from MX and that's why I didn't go for it.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

Interested to see the comments here. I was attracted to the specs on the G2, especially the battery life, but it was just too large for me to be comfortable holding it. Still, it's always interesting to see what people have to say about "what could have been".