GS5: Galaxy S5 vs. HTC One (M8)

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
All this from someone who owns neither phone and uses a phone with a camera(moto x) that's more hideous and unacceptable(his words) then both the m8 and s5....

very nice.

So the fact that I have a moto x means my input on the topic is of no use? My phone was also released August 2013. I was just saying the S5 is a better phone on most aspects than the M8...which has a HIDEOUS AND UNACCEPTABLE camera to be released in 2014.

Posted via my Moto X DE

fofjjsr

Android4life
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: Galaxy S5 vs. HTC One (M8)

So the fact that I have a moto x means my input on the topic is of no use? My phone was also released August 2013. I was just saying the S5 is a better phone on most aspects than the M8...which has a HIDEOUS AND UNACCEPTABLE camera to be released in 2014.

Posted via my Moto X DE

Honestly I would not even have responded to this person. Just because you don't own the phone doesn't mean you can't have an opinion. For all they know you could work for a major carrier and see these phones everyday, and have a really good idea of the mobile industry. I think this was more of a response to criticizing a phone they are defending.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

Here we go again...first the S3 vs One X then last year was particularly nasty as several mods pretty much stayed on the S4 forum to maintain decorum. And this year it has been much milder but still the back and forth with the S5 and the M8.

I do not think there is any question that they are both top of the line flagships. The first rule of buying a new device is know thyself. The S5 and M8 clearly have slightly different features so pick the ones that are important to you.

I have noticed a hint of exhasperation in reading several reviews. It is almost like they are offended that the S5 will outsell everything even though they clamor for "premium build quality" or maybe it is that they do not really influence anyones purchasing decision. They try to throw the Z2 in there as a competitor and it may, be just but not in sales.

But the thread is called S5 vs M8, so have at it! Just do not be offended if someone not only does not agree with you but really disagrees with you. In the end, remember we are all android fans!

Enjoy you devices!

crazyralph90

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

A lot of audiophiles would disagree. Hardware is always better than software.

I didn't mention anything about the size or camera, it's not A problem, it's YOUR problem.

I actually prefer this size and the camera is really nice. Those are my opinions not facts

Posted via Android Central App

If hardware was better then you would realize that the camera on the M8 is on par with the OG Droid.

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

Honestly I would not even have responded to this person. Just because you don't own the phone doesn't mean you can't have an opinion. For all they know you could work for a major carrier and see these phones everyday, and have a really good idea of the mobile industry. I think this was more of a response to criticizing a phone they are defending.

Yeah I know. I just don't quite get how ppl defend the M8. I got the whole argument last year... But keeping the same camera was a bad move and it's going to hurt their numbers even more.

Posted via my Moto X DE

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

Yeah I know. I just don't quite get how ppl defend the M8. I got the whole argument last year... But keeping the same camera was a bad move and it's going to hurt their numbers even more.

Posted via my Moto X DE

What I find amusing is that when you read the reviews for the GS5, it's almost an advertisement for the M8. I'm beginning to think that either the HTC reps are really, really nice people and they feel bad being critical about their phone or they all just repeat the status quo every year, even if they really don't agree.

"We would of liked to see a metal design" or "It's not built as well as the M8" are basically in every review. It's just not "cool" in the tech world to like the Galaxy S series. Good thing Samsung doesn't listen to that noise.

Vzblix

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site

I"m going to buy a new phone either today or tomorrow. I went to the ATT store Saturday and I really like the feel of the HTC better than the Samsung. But I "feel" safer with a removable battery and I would like a better camera. So I decided I would think it over a couple of days.

I haven't made my mind up 100% yet. But I'm heavily leaning toward the Samsung. I wish I could have everything I want in a phone. Of course that will never happen.

TampaUKFAN

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site

I bought the M8 and found it to be very awkward to hold, and my hand would fatigue after holding it for long periods.
My hands are large but that did not help fumbling with the phone when trying to press the power button. I had a sensation that I was
going to drop the phone when trying to lock the screen.
I liked Sense and Blinkfeed is awesome, overall the phone was snappy and responsive.
However I ended up returning the M8 and buying a S5. The S5 (black) feels so much better in your hand, everyone bitches about plastic but it is much grippier than an all metal case and is a whole lot more durable. Which is why I think Samsung opts for plastic vs a metal shell.
I really like the Samsung built in email and messaging app, both work much better than I expected, all my accounts pushed which is great since my Iphone wont with my Gmail accounts.
Touchwiz is better than the last version but I do experience a hiccup or lag from time to time. I hear complaints about the settings having so many options but going back to iphone I see too that it has a ****load of options can be overwhelming as well.

If HTC had put the power button on the side and not made the phone so long Id be using one instead of the S5, of the phone isnt comfortable in your hand then it does not matter what its made of.

Zod1010

May 21, 2013
Visit site

It's a shame the company that makes your phone might not even be around next year after hemorrhaging so much money. I'd love to watch you desperately attempt to validate your purchase again next year.
And it's a shame you don't realize the value of competition in the market place. People who love their S5s should root for companies like HTC, Motorola and Apple to continue to push Samsung. That's how we all end up with better devices. I also think it's odd the way people feel the need to "validate" their electronics purchases.

As for the question at hand, it comes down to personal preference. Both phones have advantages and disadvantages. For instance, Samsung's waterproofing is nice. However, I prefer HTC's Advantage program, as I spend a lot more time with my phone above solid ground than three feet of water. HTC's speakers are nice, but they're not a feature I care about, and prefer Samsung's ability to use that same footprint for more screen real estate. For my money, Sense is clearly superior to TouchWiz. However, once you start playing around with various launchers, this means little. I think the camera thing is way overblown, as there are clearly instances where the HTC took better pictures.

Galaxy S5 vs. HTC One (M8): Camera shootout! | Computerworld Blogs

I'm coming from an S4 and bought an M8 yesterday. I'm still undecided whether I'm keeping it. There are little things about the Samsung design I miss and very well may return it for an S5. That said, both are exception devices and regardless of what order you put them in, they are the two best devices on the market.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

My needs are probably atypical, but if I had to choose between the two, I would choose the S5 for the following reasons:
-Waterproof. I have already averted a few incidents of my daughter attempting to throw the phone into the tub or other water.
-Wireless charging - I use this on my night stand. At night, I will sometimes knock over the phone, and it has fallen on the ground a few times already. With it being charged on the cable, my phone swings like a pendelum from the charging cord. It is also nice at work to use wireless charging when I leave my desk, Idon't have to worry about disconnecting the phone.
-Removable battery - this is a nice feature to be able to swap the battery on the fly. I know I can use a usb power bank, but swapping batteries is way more convenient for me.
-Weight - The S5 is lighter.

Personally, the metal vs plastic debate is moot for me because I always use a case, so it doesn't really matter.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site

You know I gotta say.....I've been enjoying sitting on the sidelines for this one. Both camps for the most part have been cordial with their arguments of their preferred device.....this year at least. If I had to pick between these 2 great device, I'd pick the S5 because Samsung has provided the things that I like in my device (sd card slot, crisp vivid/vibrant display, removable battery, certain features, etc.).

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site

Awkward height, slippery build, and a very limited camera is more than likely a problem that could hurt that company even more than last year. I know tech sites refuse to believe the M8 can do any wrong, but there's a reason HTC is hurting and it's not all their abysmal marketing department.

Well HTC isn't hurting because of the M8 or M7 they're hurting because of things prior to these phones... I will say had they been able to buy OIS tech before Apple bought it all up.... And put a min of 8mp in the phone... They would have crushed everything..

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

cappy718

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

What I find amusing is that when you read the reviews for the GS5, it's almost an advertisement for the M8. I'm beginning to think that either the HTC reps are really, really nice people and they feel bad being critical about their phone or they all just repeat the status quo every year, even if they really don't agree.

"We would of liked to see a metal design" or "It's not built as well as the M8" are basically in every review. It's just not "cool" in the tech world to like the Galaxy S series. Good thing Samsung doesn't listen to that noise.

I personally don't like the idea of metal for a few reasons. One that I mentioned earlier about it scratching so easily. Two, in my head and I've never read anything to prove or disprove it... I feel that the metal casing would interfere with signal.

After seeing several drop tests and such with the S5...it has a premium build quality whether people want to admit it or not. Just don't hit the battery with a hammer.... Lol

Posted via my Moto X DE

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

I personally don't like the idea of metal for a few reasons. One that I mentioned earlier about it scratching so easily. Two, in my head and I've never read anything to prove or disprove it... I feel that the metal casing would interfere with signal.

After seeing several drop tests and such with the S5...it has a premium build quality whether people want to admit it or not. Just don't hit the battery with a hammer.... Lol

Posted via my Moto X DE

The Verge review only proves my point. They gave the design a 6/10 when it's easy to grip, allows for a removable battery, and is water/dust resistant. It's not metal so it's not good.

The 16MP camera got a 7/10. That's hilarious.

The software, which has improved by quite a bit, got a 6/10. No kudos on the flatter design, smoother performance, and less in-your-face software features.

It's not going to change any time soon. No matter what Samsung does, there won't be a lot of respect from the tech community. Good thing Samsung doesn't listen to their stupidity.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

The Verge review only proves my point. They gave the design a 6/10 when it's easy to grip, allows for a removable battery, and is water/dust resistant. It's not metal so it's not good.

The 16MP camera got a 7/10. That's hilarious.

The software, which has improved by quite a bit, got a 6/10. No kudos on the flatter design, smoother performance, and less in-your-face software features.

It's not going to change any time soon. No matter what Samsung does, there won't be a lot of respect from the tech community. Good thing Samsung doesn't listen to their stupidity.

I agree. And even with the lack of respect, Samsung sells more Android phones than it's competitors. And I don't want to hear that's it's all because of the marketing. They are good, solid phones that people really like. The sales (not shipped) numbers back that up.

The M8 is a great phone in it's own right too, but you could take a pile of $%&! and wrap it in a unibody made of metal and reviewers will still rave about it.

There are no unbiased reviews anymore. Everyone has a preference one way or another.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site

What was really puzzling was that the Verge reviewer mentioned that he spilled a beverage, got caught in the rain, and dropped the phone in the urinal (twice). Yet the IP67 rating was passed off as no big deal.

There's another review that loved the real time HDR and then said the camera was about the same as the S4.

I get a sense that some reviewers are actively trying to dislike the phone. At least it wasn't called "slimy" this time around.

Adranalyne

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site

What was really puzzling was that the Verge reviewer mentioned that he spilled a beverage, got caught in the rain, and dropped the phone in the urinal (twice). Yet the IP67 rating was passed off as no big deal.

There's another review that loved the real time HDR and then said the camera was about the same as the S4.

I get a sense that some reviewers are actively trying to dislike the phone. At least it wasn't called "slimy" this time around.

No question. The reviews are basically useless at this point which is kind of a shame. Fortunately I probably know as much or more than most of them (Anand, Klug, etc aside) so I don't really care. This phone isn't perfect by any means, but it's definitely a worthy flagship and is probably the best all around performer in the game right now. Not great at anything? David Pierce obviously hasn't turned the screen on, then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12