HTC One (M8): Just made the switch from the Galaxy S5

firsttimer44

May 2, 2012
Visit site
I could not be happier. Honestly I think this phone is better in almost every single way. (Other than the camera. Quality goes to the s5, software to the m8).

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited by a moderator:

darkhan

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Just made the switch from the S5

I Agree I honestly wanted the s5 to be the next big thing, however for me it was far from it. My battery was terrible and the phone got hot on the back, the fingerprint reader is a real let down after you have used the 5s it makes the s5 a joke so I would rather not even use it. The m8 fits my hand better I can text and drive at the same time. *flame on* I try not to but sometimes it happens. And for me camera vs 5s,s5 and m8 I have not had any pictures that was not acceptable for me with the m8 and I like the zoe and the camera options, not saying s5 may be better but for me I do not actually see that big of a difference to say ok I can't live with it.

I just wish m8 had more options for accessories.

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I could not be happier. Honestly I think this phone is better in almost every single way. (Other than the camera. Quality goes to the s5, software to the m8).

What were some of the issues that made you switch. I am thinking of it as well

firsttimer44

May 2, 2012
Visit site

Well for one, touch wiz is terrible.* When I say terrible, I mean it?s the by far the worst ?skin? put on a phone by any of the major phone manufactures.* We are in the year 2014, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why a phone should experience any lag.* There was lag out of the box and it got even worse once I put more apps on it.* Sense is so much more polished and fluid, its honestly a night and day comparison.

As for the battery, I would say they are both pretty comparable.* They have each lasted me through the work day with very heavy use so I have no complaints in this department.

Camera ? I honestly can?t see why this has been such a big deal. *I?m not a professional photographer by any means, but I do enjoy snapping pics of things going on in my life.* I really can?t tell a difference between the two.* For someone with limited knowledge of photography, I can?t see how anyone could gripe over the camera on the m8.* As for software, in my opinion the camera software on the m8 BLOWS the s5 out of the water.* There are soooo many cool things you can do with the m8 camera software.

Design and feel ? They both are very good feeling phones in the hand.* I have smaller hands so the s5?s slightly wider form factor was a tad on the large side for me, but nothing I couldn?t handle.* My m8 has been in a case from day 1 so I cannot comment on how slippery it is.* I never plan on running the phone without a case so ?slippage? should never be an issue.* The size diff. between the m7 and the m8 is not very noticeable imo.

Audio ? this isn?t even a contest.* The m8?s speakers are the best sounding smartphone speakers I have ever experienced.* The s5 speaker was so weak, watching YouTube videos on high volume was still bothersome.

Reception ? so far the reception on the m8 has been better for me.* I?m on T-Mobile so reception is very important. The S5 wasn?t bad it just wasn?t as good as the m8.

These are just my opinions, obviously, but I can say I am so much happier with the m8.* This is also coming from someone the really has no bias towards phone manufacturers.* I have carried the iPhone 5s. lg g2, htc m7, s4, s5, and others within the last year.* HTC hit it out of the park with this phone.* If only they had a better marketing budget so that they could spread the word*😭

trandz

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site

Well for one, touch wiz is terrible.* When I say terrible, I mean it’s the by far the worst “skin” put on a phone by any of the major phone manufactures.* We are in the year 2014, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why a phone should experience any lag.* There was lag out of the box and it got even worse once I put more apps on it.* Sense is so much more polished and fluid, its honestly a night and day comparison.

As for the battery, I would say they are both pretty comparable.* They have each lasted me through the work day with very heavy use so I have no complaints in this department.

Camera – I honestly can’t see why this has been such a big deal. *I’m not a professional photographer by any means, but I do enjoy snapping pics of things going on in my life.* I really can’t tell a difference between the two.* For someone with limited knowledge of photography, I can’t see how anyone could gripe over the camera on the m8.* As for software, in my opinion the camera software on the m8 BLOWS the s5 out of the water.* There are soooo many cool things you can do with the m8 camera software.

Design and feel – They both are very good feeling phones in the hand.* I have smaller hands so the s5’s slightly wider form factor was a tad on the large side for me, but nothing I couldn’t handle.* My m8 has been in a case from day 1 so I cannot comment on how slippery it is.* I never plan on running the phone without a case so “slippage” should never be an issue.* The size diff. between the m7 and the m8 is not very noticeable imo.

Audio – this isn’t even a contest.* The m8’s speakers are the best sounding smartphone speakers I have ever experienced.* The s5 speaker was so weak, watching YouTube videos on high volume was still bothersome.

Reception – so far the reception on the m8 has been better for me.* I’m on T-Mobile so reception is very important. The S5 wasn’t bad it just wasn’t as good as the m8.

These are just my opinions, obviously, but I can say I am so much happier with the m8.* This is also coming from someone the really has no bias towards phone manufacturers.* I have carried the iPhone 5s. lg g2, htc m7, s4, s5, and others within the last year.* HTC hit it out of the park with this phone.* If only they had a better marketing budget so that they could spread the word*��

Welcome ! I also made the move. Samsung felt like a toy. Along with the useless fingerprint scanner, sluggish TW, crap battery, worse built. I am glad I chose the M8 at the end.

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

Well for one, touch wiz is terrible.* When I say terrible, I mean it?s the by far the worst ?skin? put on a phone by any of the major phone manufactures.* We are in the year 2014, there is ABSOLUTELY no reason why a phone should experience any lag.* There was lag out of the box and it got even worse once I put more apps on it.* Sense is so much more polished and fluid, its honestly a night and day comparison.

Camera ? I honestly can?t see why this has been such a big deal. *I?m not a professional photographer by any means, but I do enjoy snapping pics of things going on in my life.* I really can?t tell a difference between the two.* For someone with limited knowledge of photography, I can?t see how anyone could gripe over the camera on the m8.* As for software, in my opinion the camera software on the m8 BLOWS the s5 out of the water.* There are soooo many cool things you can do with the m8 camera software.

Design and feel ? They both are very good feeling phones in the hand.* I have smaller hands so the s5?s slightly wider form factor was a tad on the large side for me, but nothing I couldn?t handle.* My m8 has been in a case from day 1 so I cannot comment on how slippery it is.* I never plan on running the phone without a case so ?slippage? should never be an issue.* The size diff. between the m7 and the m8 is not very noticeable imo.

Audio ? this isn?t even a contest.* The m8?s speakers are the best sounding smartphone speakers I have ever experienced.* The s5 speaker was so weak, watching YouTube videos on high volume was still bothersome.

Reception ? so far the reception on the m8 has been better for me.* I?m on T-Mobile so reception is very important. The S5 wasn?t bad it just wasn?t as good as the m8.

These are just my opinions, obviously, but I can say I am so much happier with the m8.* This is also coming from someone the really has no bias towards phone manufacturers.* I have carried the iPhone 5s. lg g2, htc m7, s4, s5, and others within the last year.* HTC hit it out of the park with this phone.* If only they had a better marketing budget so that they could spread the word*😭

Wow thanks. I am going to check it out today

freddyttt

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

Id agree with most points made. touch-wiz has been a disaster from day 1. my daughter had the s5 for a few days. it lags. plain and simple. those that say it don't have never compared it to the m8... she has since returned the s5 and went with an LG that does not lag. she seems to be happy. id also like to point out that the speaker sucks(laughable at best) and it's very hard to see in direct sun-light making it almost impossible to use....

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

I have to agree with everyone here. I seriously considered the S5, but chose to M8 because I just don't want to deal with Touchwiz again. And I am in love with the speed and smoothness of HTC, and the camera is terrific. I'm so glad I ignored the Debbie Downers who tried to sell me a bill of goods about the camera. It's terrific.

snobrdr2324

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

I was torn between these two phones after reading reviews of how improved touchwiz was. However, I happened to be in a sprint store selling my Sprint LG G2 on Sunday because I switched to ATT and had an opportunity to play with both. Both of the display model S5s were lagging like crazy already while the M8 was lightning fast and both had been on display for similar amounts of time, the S5 maybe even shorter. This solidified my decision to wait until the 25th for the Silver M8 on ATT.

trekk

Feb 1, 2012
Visit site

Seriously I understand what the OP is talking about, I played with both devices and I cannot understand other then for the camera why anyone would chose the S5

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

Well I just made the switch. So far so good. Much smoother than the s5.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

I got the M8 at Verizon the day it came out, but really wanted the S5 but needed something to hold me over those few weeks. I had a Fascinate a long time ago and I hated it and swore I'd never get a Samsung again. Then I got the Note 3, sold it, regretted it and bought another one. So I decided to give Samsung another chance with the S5, but there is just something about it I don't like. Funny thing is I still like my Note 3 a lot.

I switched back to the Note 3 last night, and will swap the S5 for the M8. I don't really like the stuttering on the S5, and the speaker is too quiet for me. I like the way it feels though, but the software is the killer for me. I like what HTC is trying to do as a company as well, and the 6 month screen warranty is awesome.

And since I don't shoot for National Geographic the camera on the M8 is not a deal breaker for me. As long as I can snap quick pics of my dog I'm happy.

cmhsam

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

I am sure I will get flamed on the S5 forums but as Gary Oldman says..."Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah Blah..."

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I got the M8 at Verizon the day it came out, but really wanted the S5 but needed something to hold me over those few weeks. I had a Fascinate a long time ago and I hated it and swore I'd never get a Samsung again. Then I got the Note 3, sold it, regretted it and bought another one. So I decided to give Samsung another chance with the S5, but there is just something about it I don't like. Funny thing is I still like my Note 3 a lot.

I switched back to the Note 3 last night, and will swap the S5 for the M8. I don't really like the stuttering on the S5, and the speaker is too quiet for me. I like the way it feels though, but the software is the killer for me. I like what HTC is trying to do as a company as well, and the 6 month screen warranty is awesome.

And since I don't shoot for National Geographic the camera on the M8 is not a deal breaker for me. As long as I can snap quick pics of my dog I'm happy.

Those are the two devices I own is the note 3 and htc one m8. It's an awesome combo. But for some reason I cannot put my note 3 down. I have bearly touched my m8 yet

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

KennyJohnson

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site

Touchwiz and the horrible build quality of the S5 are keeping me from going back to Samsung. I had an S3 but upgraded to the M7 last year and will be getting an M8 as soon as Amazon has an unlocked version back in stock. My problem is that do I want sense or pure android via the GPE.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Those are the two devices I own is the note 3 and htc one m8. It's an awesome combo. But for some reason I cannot put my note 3 down. I have bearly touched my m8 yet

I know how you feel. I even put my Note 3 in a drawer yesterday to force myself to use the S5 so I could determine if I actually liked it or not.

Something keeps drawing me back to the M8 though, kind of like I'm drawn to the Note 3. I think it might be how snappy the UI is, and how it's understated, but in a good way. And I loved my Droid DNA and the M8 reminds me of that.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site

Touchwiz and the horrible build quality of the S5 are keeping me from going back to Samsung. I had an S3 but upgraded to the M7 last year and will be getting an M8 as soon as Amazon has an unlocked version back in stock. My problem is that do I want sense or pure android via the GPE.

I actually thought the build quality on the S5 was really good. It didn't creak, flex or feel cheap. Felt real solid to me.

I like vanilla Android too, but I'm on Verizon so I miss out on the Nexus devices (not counting the horrible Galaxy Nexus). Sense 6 isn't stock Android, but it's not over done either. I think that's how HTC can make a commitment to updates. And that's another plus for me when it comes to HTC, the updates. They really are trying to do the right thing, and I hope they are successful.

aandrew610

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I know how you feel. I even put my Note 3 in a drawer yesterday to force myself to use the S5 so I could determine if I actually liked it or not.

Something keeps drawing me back to the M8 though, kind of like I'm drawn to the Note 3. I think it might be how snappy the UI is, and how it's understated, but in a good way. And I loved my Droid DNA and the M8 reminds me of that.

I may need to do that with my note 3 today my m8 hasn't left my house since I bought it nor sent any messages or calls I just watched a few YouTube videos. I'm mainly waiting on my clear case to arrive I'm afraid I'll drop my m8. I dropped my m7 last year within the first week I owned it .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon