Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One (M8) sdcard, keep it or ditch it ?

This particular discussion can get interesting. So many opt for sdcard expansion while others stand firm with Google's decision to make good use of cloud storage and provide a staple amount of internal storage. Whats your feelings, we know you have an opinion here
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Default Re: HTC One (M8) sdcard, keep it or ditch it ?

I think that it is a good option especially for those with a lot of media. For those that don't like it, they don't have to use it.

I have a note 3 which Verizon only offered in 32gb. I got the 128gb card as soon as it was released.

With regards to cloud, yes, you can store stuff on the cloud but some cloud would reduce the quality of the video. A 1080p video taken with my note 3 uses 120mb per minute or 16mbps. A 4k video taken on my note 3 uses 350mb per minute or about 47mbps. Finding a cloud to let you stream the full video unedited and smoothly can be a challenge. Also while some are on unlimited data, many people are on tiered data and video streaming at fHD uses a lot of data.

Even that aside, I am not always in a place where I get a fast data connection.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Global Posts
    23,144 Global Posts
    ROM
    SlimKat

Difficult to say. Since I got the 32, I am in a unique situation. I have not had a device with that much storage, so loading some songs on the device is an option, or I can stream. I would say that HTC should have stayed away from it, and made a 32 minimum.

From a Liquid Nexus 5

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here, Developer Rules, and Marketplace

I say keep the SD card support. Give people the choice and let them decide for themselves.

It's interesting to note that SD card support has increased in the Play store. The Google Play editions of the HTC One M8, the Samsung Galaxy S 4, the Sony Z Ultra, and the LG G Pad 8.3 all support SD cards. Google was under no obligation to sell these devices in its store, yet it decided to do it anyway, even though these devices contradict Google's policy. I take this as a sign that Google is slowly changing its stance on the matter.