Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By UJ95x
  • 1 Post By Synycalwon
  • 1 Post By Evilguppy
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Plastic or Metal ?

Plastic has its pros, keeps weight down and provides some flexibility. Metal has that clean shiny finish and feeling of being solid.

Some say plastic is cheap and others say metal is too darn slippery, so whats your take on this?
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Default Re: Plastic or Metal ?

I use a case so it doesn't really matter too much what material. Is used. To that end I prefer a lighter device and usually plastic phones are lighter. Also, I don't think wireless charging works with metal phones, unless you put some aftermarket solution which usually takes up your charging port. To me that doesn't seem like a good option.

I will say that metal does feel nicer and more premium (even though the cost of the aluminum material vs plastic is well under a buck). But as I said before, in a case, it does not matter to me.

Also I don't game either so the potential added performance of metal phones in games doesn't impact me.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

I have a Note 3, but I do have a recent physical craving for a naked Moto X in black or a HTC One in grey, as a 2nd more pocketable phone.
    Plastics very well crafted (Moto X) versus nicely moulded metal/alu (M8).

I like the S5 but don't have a craving for it physically, and 'been there - done that' with the Touchwiz Note 3.

The Moto X isn't cutting edge any more, but people speak highly of it still, and I love the case back. Shame I didn't step up to that first, but it wasn't available here.

I don't want to care about scrapes, unlike my cased white Note 3, so it would be Moto X if I can afford one in the short term, but M8 if it takes few months, when it should be a little cheaper.
    It's also roughly 530 against 280.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

S5 would be my favorite phone ever if it was made out of medal like the M8.
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

I prefer plastic because it's lighter and in some cases allows for removable backs and batteries. I agree that Samsung's plastic doesn't feel great, but the Moto X is one of the nicest feeling phones I've used.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Madd54 likes this.

I don't care for metal at all. I prefer to use my phone naked (no case) and metal is just too cold to the touch initially and then feels too warm from use and/or from your own body heat. Also don't like how metal dents and scratches easily.

My biggest issue though with metal is how it restricts having a removable back and battery. That's an absolute deal breaker for me as I want the choice of being able to swap out for a fresh battery on the fly at any time and not have to tether the phone to a charging source.

Really have no issues at all with plastic.
    Madd54 likes this.

Plastic: Lightweight, durable, removable, anti scratch. Just more practical all around.
    Synycalwon likes this.

Metal 100% Love the feel of my M7. It's also been my experience that the more rigid metal is more durable. During a side impact the plastic will flex allowing the impact to reach the glass screen and cause more damage.

Like I said, this has been my experience

Sent from my EVO using AC Forums mobile app
    Last edited by ffejjj; 04-29-2014 at 06:51 AM.
    Owner of a replacement Htc One... Till something better comes along
    LG G3
    Ambassador

Global Posts
    7,677 Global Posts
    ROM
    Nexus(AOKP-jb_4.2.1)

Metal, Plastic or even Kevlar it doesn't really matter to me . I've been putting a TPU case on whatever phone I currently am using.

How about Kevlar or Carbon Fiber like Moto X? I just never got that metal feels premium argument with all the negative aspects of metal phones that mostly iPhone fans push as their requirement for a cell phone. Metal cases can't use wireless chargers. I will never buy a phone that doesn't support wireless charging. Metal dents and scratches easy and shows the damage greater than other non-metal case types. Smooth Metal has a poor grip like HTC's M8 is easy to drop especially if your hands are wet (See AC Jerry Hildenbrand article on M8).

Metal runs up the cost of manufacturing a phone. Aluminum doesn't feel like a premium metal. Titanium or magnesium feels premium to me but not Aluminum since it is too soft and weak of a metal without alloys. Metal will show discoloration where you touch it over a year from wearing off the coating. Metal gets hot or cold to the touch due to weather or battery over heating more than other case surfaces. Over 60% of people use some type of case to protect the phone so it doesn't matter if it is metal or whatever case since you can't see or feel it.

One out of every three smart phones in the world including Apple are made by Samsung that has never used a metal case. Give me Kevlar or Carbon Fiber over plastic but I would take plastic over metal.
    Last edited by Shilohcane; 04-26-2014 at 12:04 PM.

I like plastic, but not shiny plastic. I prefer a matte finish since it doesn't collect fingerprints so much. If you want people to think plastic is special, just call it "polycarbonate," and they'll think it's some expensive, premium material.

That being said, metal does evoke a premium feeling, but it has to be made right. I like the feel of old-style Nokia phones, like the E71. Sadly, those days are over.

So I will choose plastic because it is light and it makes my phone look inexpensive. I just don't like shiny plastic, that's all.

Global Posts
    8,954 Global Posts
    ROM
    Slim Kat 4.4.4

Quote Originally Posted by Shilohcane View Post
    How about Kevlar or Carbon Fiber like Moto X? I just never got that metal feels premium argument with all the negative aspects of metal phones that mostly iPhone fans push as their requirement for a cell phone. Metal cases can't use wireless chargers. I will never buy a phone that doesn't support wireless charging. Metal dents and scratches easy and shows the damage greater than other non-metal case types. Smooth Metal has a poor grip like HTC's M8 is easy to drop especially if your hands are wet (See AC Jerry Hildenbrand article on M8).

Metal runs up the cost of manufacturing a phone. Aluminum doesn't feel like a premium metal. Titanium or magnesium feels premium to me but not Aluminum since it is too soft and weak of a metal without alloys. Metal will show discoloration where you touch it over a year from wearing off the coating. Metal gets hot or cold to the touch due to weather or battery over heating more than other case surfaces. Over 60% of people use some type of case to protect the phone so it doesn't matter if it is metal or whatever case since you can't see or feel it.

One out of every three smart phones in the world including Apple are made by Samsung that has never used a metal case. Give me Kevlar or Carbon Fiber over plastic but I would take plastic over metal.
    The Moto X is plastic, not carbon fiber. The Droid Maxx does have a kevlar back though, and that feels pretty good.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running SlimKat 4.4.2
    "We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." - Carl Sagan
    Thanked by:
    Madd54