S5 vs Moto X

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
has anyone tried both of these phones and can compare? I love the feel of the moto x. I have to buy out of contract and can't decide from these 2. I'm not much of a gamer so doesn't really matter...and don't really take pictures to print (only for web upload).

There's a used but mint moto x 32gb with ebony back for $300 and S5 full price of $599 (verizon)...

just trying to get some comments from people with real life experiences!!! Thanks in advance!!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not a fair comparison IMHO, but OK... If camera and performance are not such a big deal, you'd probably be happier with the MotoX than the S5. If, however, a waterproof device fits into your lifestyle, even if you won't be using it to its full potential, then the S5 would be a better match for you. (Personally, I'm waiting for the Note 4 to come out and see if THAT'S waterproof as well :) )

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Well I have not tried the S5, but I have had the S4 on Verizon. Given my experience with Samsung I can tell you with 100% certainty I will never buy another Samsung again. The S4 had Touchwhiz and it just isn't as fluid as stock Android. I had about 7 GB of free space left out of 16 GB. The S5 is supposedly better, but not by much.

When I switched to the Moto X (full priced from moto maker) I was and am very happy with my experience. The features on the Moto X like stock Android, active display, touchless control, and quick updates, cannot be matched by any other phone, and they way the Moto X feels in the hand is hard to explain without feeling it for yourself. But it feels great.

It's all a matter of opinion, but if I had to choose between the Moto X and the S5 I would go with the Moto X. It's not as specked out, but the overall experience will be better. The screen is just as good as a 1080p screen, and stock Android is miles better than any OEM skin.

If I were you I would save the money and go with the Moto X. However, eBay phones can sometimes be sketchy, so if you go that route be careful. The better route would be to get one through Moto Maker. You can customize your phone to your liking, you get the full year of warrantee and Motorola is very willing to give replacements. They will even let you keep the current phone while you wait for the replacement. But that's only with Moto Maker. They are going for $400 for the 16gb model as of now. If you have a ".edu" email address you can pick up the Moto X for $360. Best of all shipping is free on all Moto X orders.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

machzk

Mar 31, 2014
Visit site
I have a Moto X and only bought last week. Great phone, I just switched over from an iPhone. I have no complaints, it a great device and filled with useful features, active notifications, contextual awareness etc. I don't like the camera and though it has great performance, phones of this year are snappier. The GS5 is in another class. Its faster, bigger, and newer. It has a better camera as well. In my opinion TouchWiz is its weakness, probably its only weakness.

Impressed with the Moto X features, don't want to spend a lot of money, and not too fixed on specs go for the X.

Need the latest and greatest, have more available funds, don't mind touch wiz go for the Galaxy.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

dunamis

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Well I have not tried the S5, but I have had the S4 on Verizon. Given my experience with Samsung I can tell you with 100% certainty I will never buy another Samsung again. The S4 had Touchwhiz and it just isn't as fluid as stock Android. I had about 7 GB of free space left out of 16 GB. The S5 is supposedly better, but not by much.

When I switched to the Moto X (full priced from moto maker) I was and am very happy with my experience. The features on the Moto X like stock Android, active display, touchless control, and quick updates, cannot be matched by any other phone, and they way the Moto X feels in the hand is hard to explain without feeling it for yourself. But it feels great.

It's all a matter of opinion, but if I had to choose between the Moto X and the S5 I would go with the Moto X. It's not as specked out, but the overall experience will be better. The screen is just as good as a 1080p screen, and stock Android is miles better than any OEM skin.

If I were you I would save the money and go with the Moto X. However, eBay phones can sometimes be sketchy, so if you go that route be careful. The better route would be to get one through Moto Maker. You can customize your phone to your liking, you get the full year of warrantee and Motorola is very willing to give replacements. They will even let you keep the current phone while you wait for the replacement. But that's only with Moto Maker. They are going for $400 for the 16gb model as of now. If you have a ".edu" email address you can pick up the Moto X for $360. Best of all shipping is free on all Moto X orders.

I'm thinking you're right. I am leaning towards Moto X...I'm not buying from ebay but from craiglist. Your info is appreciated.

Now got to decide if $300 for mint ebony back with 32GB is better choice or just buying new from moto maker...hmmmmm

benhaube

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm thinking you're right. I am leaning towards Moto X...I'm not buying from ebay but from craiglist. Your info is appreciated.

Now got to decide if $300 for mint ebony back with 32GB is better choice or just buying new from moto maker...hmmmmm

No problem, i'm glad I could help. When it comes to used phones I've heard horror stories of spending money on phones that were supposedly in mint condition but had a scratch or ding, and countless stories of phones with bad esn's. For what it's worth 16gb as been plenty for me. I have around 7 GB free on my Moto X with all my apps and pictures and stuff. I don't store any music on my phone however. I'm near Wi-Fi most times I want to listen to anything and I also never hit my 3 GB data limit. Only you can decide what's best for you though. Whatever you decide to do... Congrats on the new Moto X. Enjoy it!

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
A few points:

1) Being a Moto X forum most all of us are gonna say Moto X

2) Unless you like Samsung's software/apps, the price is steep.

3) If the camera is a huge deal to you, you'll like the S5

4) The wood backs have had some bubbling. Motorola is great about replacements, but does anyone know what their policy is for a used phone bought from a previous owner? You can buy a new one off of Moto Maker for $350, complete with a skip dot and a no hassle warranty.

5) If you're willing to pony up $600 for an S5, don't cheap out on a Moto X by buying used. Buy new and known you're taken care of if it needs to be exchanged.

6) My Moto X runs like new, has no lag and is perfect for me. That said, the S5 is a nice piece of hardware. So is the M8, don't forget about that one either. It's clich?, but at the end of the day is personal preference.

Posted via Android Central App

Jeffk23

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
LG g2 is better than the s5 and is down to 350$- 400$. It's a steal at those prices. Moto X is nice, the g2 is nicer

AComp1977

Apr 30, 2014
Visit site
I recently acquired the moto x. I'm going from a Samsung GS3 and I'm have problems locating a few things in the moto x.

The clipboard. Where is it? I've looked everywhere. I have resorted to the app clipper.

Groups. How do I send an email to my groups that I have created?

Camera. How do you change the megapixel/image size? This is huge since the moto x will not allow you to email an image larger than 5meg.

I use all 3 of these options daily for business. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
AC

DCSholtis

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had both a Note 3 and an S4. Never again Samsung. Dump TouchWiz and maybe. I'll take my Moto X any day.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
I recently acquired the moto x. I'm going from a Samsung GS3 and I'm have problems locating a few things in the moto x.

The clipboard. Where is it? I've looked everywhere. I have resorted to the app clipper.

Groups. How do I send an email to my groups that I have created?

Camera. How do you change the megapixel/image size? This is huge since the moto x will not allow you to email an image larger than 5meg.

I use all 3 of these options daily for business. Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Thanks
AC

Was "Clipboard" an app on your Samsung phone? If so, it was a TouchWiz feature.

No idea on email groups

Camera, if you download the Google camera app (which is better than the Moto one IMO), you can adjust the resolution in the app.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08