Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By buckifvr
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    I've heard both ways on this,so let's try to settle this now. Comparing screen On time and standby time.
  2. #2  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    726 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    How timely, an employee of mine just got the S5 4 days ago, and she is really concerned about its battery life. She says it was great the first 3 days but is now draining very fast. I made some adjustments to her settings, and we went to Verizon and they made a couple of other adjustments and hopefully it will be better. Personally my M8 gets great battery life. Her On screen time was about 2:20 and mine is about 5:50.

    Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
    jmmymak likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    How timely, an employee of mine just got the S5 4 days ago, and she is really concerned about its battery life. She says it was great the first 3 days but is now draining very fast. I made some adjustments to her settings, and we went to Verizon and they made a couple of other adjustments and hopefully it will be better. Personally my M8 gets great battery life. Her On screen time was about 2:20 and mine is about 5:50.

    Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Unfortunately, I've heard that the Verizon network isn't too good on battery life.

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  4. #4  
    buckifvr's Avatar

    Posts
    726 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts
    ROM
    CleanROM 4.5 Pro

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Not to defend Verizon, but I have Verizon too, and like I said I get great battery life on my M8. My employee is on Verizon and her S5 is getting terrible battery life. The Verizon reps say they have been getting a lot of complaints about the S5s battery life. It's just not what folks were expecting.

    Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    Yesterday is but a dream, Tomorrow is but a vision, but Today well lived makes every Yesterday a dream of happiness and every Tomorrow a vision of hope.
  5. #5  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Quote Originally Posted by buckifvr View Post
    Not to defend Verizon, but I have Verizon too, and like I said I get great battery life on my M8. My employee is on Verizon and her S5 is getting terrible battery life. The Verizon reps say they have been getting a lot of complaints about the S5s battery life. It's just not what folks were expecting.

    Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
    They can thank TouchWiz for that, it's just not as optimized as Sense 6

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  6. #6  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Quote Originally Posted by thepurpleturtle View Post
    I've heard both ways on this,so let's try to settle this now. Comparing screen On time and standby time.
    I for one am grateful that it has been IMPOSSIBLE to get less than seven hours of screen time in a 24hr period on my G Flex, if I go two days with everything on then I may see more like five-ish hours possibly.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    I for one am grateful that it has been IMPOSSIBLE to get less than seven hours of screen time in a 24hr period on my G Flex, if I go two days with everything on then I may see more like five-ish hours possibly.
    Then it's not impossible

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  8. #8  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Quote Originally Posted by thepurpleturtle View Post
    Then it's not impossible

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    By two days I do indeed mean 36-50 hours off the mains. Last time I ran the battery out in less than 24 hours I had the screen on OVER TEN HOURS browsing in Opera. And Opera was 40% battery drain, screen was 27%.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Relgoshan View Post
    By two days I do indeed mean 36-50 hours off the mains. Last time I ran the battery out in less than 24 hours I had the screen on OVER TEN HOURS browsing in Opera. And Opera was 40% battery drain, screen was 27%.
    I'm sure a lot of that is because the screen is only 720p on your flex. You have to remember the m8 has a 1080p screen. More pixels packed into a smaller screen is going to use more of the battery

    Posted via Android Central App
    Quote Originally Posted by Ccota08 View Post
    I keep reading your posts in Bender's voice and it's amazing.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    So anyways, m8 vs s5 when it comes to battery life?

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
  11. #11  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Quote Originally Posted by Skyway View Post
    I'm sure a lot of that is because the screen is only 720p on your flex. You have to remember the m8 has a 1080p screen. More pixels packed into a smaller screen is going to use more of the battery

    Posted via Android Central App
    Smaller screen means lower backlight drain for LCD but then more pixels means more area blocked by the gate infrastructure so for example the new G3 screen needed a new pixel shape. Flex has a big screen but it's also one of the most efficient OLED panels yet so the phone can kinda cheat by. Like with gray on black e-reading I think it could hit close to 20 hours screen time so....but yes, there is also the reduced load on CPU and GPU and it still looks great. It's very impressive that the M8 with the 801 and a backlit screen gets such good battery life as to even come close, and it's still small enough to put a case on.

    Quote Originally Posted by thepurpleturtle View Post
    So anyways, m8 vs s5 when it comes to battery life?

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    M8 over S5 for battery, pretty much universally.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Quote Originally Posted by thepurpleturtle View Post
    So anyways, m8 vs s5 when it comes to battery life?

    Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
    My experience was s5 to be much better. Steaming music really seems to suck battery on the m8. 1.5 hours of Pandora and 2 hours of screen on and it's dead.

    Posted via Android Central App
  13. #13  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Quote Originally Posted by nestafaria View Post
    My experience was s5 to be much better. Steaming music really seems to suck battery on the m8. 1.5 hours of Pandora and 2 hours of screen on and it's dead.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Posted via Android Central App
  14. #14  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Quote Originally Posted by nestafaria View Post
    My experience was s5 to be much better. Steaming music really seems to suck battery on the m8. 1.5 hours of Pandora and 2 hours of screen on and it's dead.

    Posted via Android Central App
    Added ss

    Posted via Android Central App
  15. #15  
    jr6278's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    M8 has better battery life with streaming music or video
  16. #16  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Quote Originally Posted by jr6278 View Post
    M8 has better battery life with streaming music or video
    Based on what? I'd upload screenshots if the app would stop crashing.

    Posted via Android Central App
  17. #17  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    My M8 has the best battery life of any phone I've used.
  18. #18  

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    Out of all the battery life posts I've seen, the M8 has had the better battery life.
  19. #19  
    loki993's Avatar

    Posts
    18 Posts
    Global Posts
    357 Global Posts

    Default Re: HTC one m8 vs Samsung galaxy s5: battery life

    this is for sure a disappointment because Ive seen a ton of reviews that say they're both capable of over 8 hours or screen on time.

Similar Threads

  1. Don't believe the hype about good battery life.
    By 1812dave in forum Samsung Gear 2 & Gear 2 Neo
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 07-31-2014, 07:40 PM
  2. Battery damage?
    By Omer San Gabriel in forum General Android Device Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-04-2014, 06:19 AM
  3. Galaxy S4 Battery.
    By Omer San Gabriel in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 01:17 PM
  4. My htc one x loads but doesn't turn on properly
    By Clive Running in forum HTC One X
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2014, 01:15 PM

Posting Permissions