Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By z33dev33l
  • 1 Post By LeoRex
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Apple Being Sued Over Phone-Switching iMessage Issue

There's been a few threads regarding the texting issues for those who have switched from an iPhone to droid, just ran across this article on macrumors.com (not sure if linking to other sites is ok or not so just copied the text):

Apple is facing a lawsuit over a long-standing issue that prevents iPhones from sending text messages to the Android phones of former iPhone users, reports Bloomberg (via BusinessInsider). Filed by a former iPhone customer, the lawsuit alleges that the user ceased getting messages from iPhone owners after she switched to a non-Apple device.

This is a problem that has afflicted many former iPhone users that switch from an iPhone to another device. After an iPhone is disabled, the users face an issue where iMessages sent from other iPhone owners are routed to a deactivated iPhone rather than being forwarded as a text message to an active phone, causing text messages to disappear.

Earlier this week, former Lifehacker editor-in-chief Adam Pash claimed that Apple is aware of the iMessage issue and unable to provide a fix. An Apple customer support representative told Pash that the iMessage bug is "a problem a lot of people are facing" and that the company's engineering team "is working on it but is apparently clueless as how to fix it."

These errors with iMessage have been a known issue since 2011, which is when the messaging service was first introduced with iOS 5. Apple advises iPhone owners to disable iMessages before deactivating their phones in order to remove the device from their system, but some users have experienced problems even after disabling iMessage.

Some users have had success calling in to Apple to have their numbers removed from the iMessage system and in 2012, TechCrunch detailed a fix involving unregistering products on a user's Support Profile, which has also worked for some people experiencing iMessage issues after switching to a non-Apple device.

Filed in San Jose California, the lawsuit is currently seeking class action status.

Global Posts
    386 Global Posts

Default Re: Apple Being Sued Over Phone-Switching iMessage Issue

Good. I'm surprised it took this long. The issue is ridiculous. Happened to my brother after he switched from an iPhone 4 to a moto x. I was aware of the issue, took all the proper precautions and it still happened. We called apple tech support and asked to have his number removed from their imessage database and were told it would cost us a one time fee of $150. WTF Apple.

I play with my food
    Thanked by:
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Wow $150, that's crazy. I know when you call Apple and go through the automated system it want's to charge you a $19.95 one time tech call fee but as soon as you tell them what the issue is they waive it. When I phoned in and got the automated menu system I just started pushing the zero button and got a rep, told them why I was calling and they transferred me... all in all it was about a 7 minute call. It's obviously a pretty common issue because the gal knew exactly what to do and and raced through everything really fast.

I just went through this issue the other day. I called Apple and told them I want to unregister my phone and they did it without the $20 charge. Sent me a text code and apparently unregistered my device but I was still having some issues.

What I ended up doing was going to this site: https://supportprofile.apple.com
    Noticed that while the tech guy unregistered my latest iPhone, my previous 2 iPhones were still registered. Unregistered them and then I changed my device number from my cell phone to my home phone number just to get my number out of their system.

I think it's working fine now but I'm still paranoid about missing text messages.

Global Posts
    21,016 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post
    There's been a few threads regarding the texting issues for those who have switched from an iPhone to droid, just ran across this article on macrumors.com (not sure if linking to other sites is ok or not so just copied the text):

Apple is facing a lawsuit over a long-standing issue that prevents iPhones from sending text messages to the Android phones of former iPhone users, reports Bloomberg (via BusinessInsider). Filed by a former iPhone customer, the lawsuit alleges that the user ceased getting messages from iPhone owners after she switched to a non-Apple device.

This is a problem that has afflicted many former iPhone users that switch from an iPhone to another device. After an iPhone is disabled, the users face an issue where iMessages sent from other iPhone owners are routed to a deactivated iPhone rather than being forwarded as a text message to an active phone, causing text messages to disappear.

Earlier this week, former Lifehacker editor-in-chief Adam Pash claimed that Apple is aware of the iMessage issue and unable to provide a fix. An Apple customer support representative told Pash that the iMessage bug is "a problem a lot of people are facing" and that the company's engineering team "is working on it but is apparently clueless as how to fix it."

These errors with iMessage have been a known issue since 2011, which is when the messaging service was first introduced with iOS 5. Apple advises iPhone owners to disable iMessages before deactivating their phones in order to remove the device from their system, but some users have experienced problems even after disabling iMessage.

Some users have had success calling in to Apple to have their numbers removed from the iMessage system and in 2012, TechCrunch detailed a fix involving unregistering products on a user's Support Profile, which has also worked for some people experiencing iMessage issues after switching to a non-Apple device.

Filed in San Jose California, the lawsuit is currently seeking class action status.
    Is this the link you are referring to:Apple Being Sued Over Phone-Switching iMessage Issue - Mac Rumors

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Yes, some sites don't allow linking to other sites and I didn't know if that was true for Android Central so I just copied the article.

Global Posts
    7,079 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Off Topic -

Copy/Paste of Articles -
    Blatant copy/paste of articles from outside sources with no additional commentary is strictly prohibited. Failure to include your own original thoughts or relevant feedback is discouraged. Blatant copy/paste offenders will receive a warning or infraction.

Outside Linkage - Linking to content outside of the Mobile Nations network is discouraged, especially if the story/article/video was already published somewhere on Mobile Nations. Always look for (and link to) content from the Mobile Nations network at all times. If no relevant content is available, alert our community manager immediately, he will notify the editorial team(s).

Those are the official rules. Personally, if it's something AC/iMore, etc hasn't posted yet and you're doing more than just posting a link (ie, you're adding your opinion) then we have no issues. Providing a link and your thoughts is better than copy/pasting the whole article, but if you want to quote part of it and link to it (attributes credit and prevents leeching) then that's okay too.
    Thanked by 3:

Global Posts
    7,079 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Banned

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

This needs to be made class action...
    Darth Spock likes this.

Global Posts
    7,079 Global Posts
    ROM
    Assassin 'Droid

Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    This needs to be made class action...
    I think that is the direction that they're going. We definitely deal with this issue a lot in the forums. It actually seems to cause quite a few people to change their mind and go back to their iPhones and on a business scale, lost texts can be a big deal.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Spock View Post
    I think that is the direction that they're going. We definitely deal with this issue a lot in the forums. It actually seems to cause quite a few people to change their mind and go back to their iPhones and on a business scale, lost texts can be a big deal.
    I used a 4s for 2-3 weeks. After that, I was stuck in the iMessage loop for another two. It turned me off of Apple even more.

Default Guess impending lawsuits and media firestorms is how you get things done at Apple

Saw this just pop up

Apple partially fixed the issue that was making life hard for Android switchers

My my... how convenient... only a scant couple of days removed from a building crap-storm of angst over their disregard for users who left their sheltered little world, Apple has, at least partially, 'fixed' the issue. I wonder if they dropped the $20 shakedown as well.

Global Posts
    1 Global Posts

Default imessage issue being fixed by apple?

It looks like apple is acklowledging and addressing some of the issues we have been having with imessage/text messages when switching from apple. Yay! Hopefully that helps some of us out.

Apple will fix iMessage bug that makes it harder to leave the service | Ars Technica

Global Posts
    3,540 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock JB 4.2

Default Re: Guess impending lawsuits and media firestorms is how you get things done at Apple

Banned

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

Default Re: Guess impending lawsuits and media firestorms is how you get things done at Apple

One's Apple-biased and one's Android-biased? How is one better than the other?
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Default Re: imessage issue being fixed by apple?

The server bug is only one of the issues, it looks like it will still be problematic after reading this Apple to fix iMessage bug that causes ex-iPhone users to lose their texts

Apple has fixed a server-side bug in iMessage, their SMS/MMS-like instant messaging service for iOS and OS X, which was causing some problems
    Heh..... bias or not... that's some good ifanboy speak right there. You have to go down into the comments before you even see the word "lawsuit". You read that article and it's "Why would Apple fix some stupid issue that affects like 5 people? Don't ruins our beautiful, precious iMessage plz!"
    rav813 likes this.

Global Posts
    585 Global Posts

So true

I can't believe it hasn't been addressed/fixed yet. They knew about it and decided to ignore it so people would get frustrated and come back to Apple. It's just poor business ethics. And because it's Apple, this wasn't all over the media; unlike other mobile companies who can sneeze and the media would be like "oh they suck, they're going out of business, etc"

Posted via Android Central App

I switched on Wednesday and have had no issues where I have on my past switches. This time, I logged out of my Apple account in messages first then turned off the iMessage switch! Set up my G2 and texts from iPhone users immediately started coming through!

Sent from my LG G2 using Tapatalk