Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Android: The Foundation OS

After having delved into several individual forums on WPCentral and XDA and even creating a few threads of my own, I've come to think of Android as a foundation OS. Now, let me explain. This certainly doesn't mean that it's any worse than other OSes but it's not going to provide the same quality out of the box. For instance, one of my big complaints on the Galaxy S4 was the awful keyboard. What was the answer? "Oh, well if you install this .apk file then..." The same was said of the messaging app and it's inability to display the actual message in the notifications, the launcher, and other features that I simply find lacking when compared to iOS or Windows Phone. It was always, "Install this app." That's not to say that the OS is bad by any means but as a power user, I want the best and I don't want it to be required for me to install and customize and deal with the subsequent force closes that you oftentimes have to deal with when you layer so much on top of the default app. It wouldn't be a big deal were it not for the many people who don't know about all of this and are settling for subpar quality. Then there's the rooting fiasco. Cyanogenmod arguably completes the OS. Makes it fully functional. However, unless you're one of the lucky ones buying a Oneplus One then you're not likely to get that out of the box. Am I wrong in thinking of it in that regard? This is just something I've picked up over a month or so browsing this forum and years of rooting and modding to keep my Androids kicking.

Default Re: Android: The Foundation OS

Android's flexibility has always been one of its biggest selling points. Different people have different needs and preferences, and with Android almost every function can be accessed with the app that best meets those preferences and needs. Ditto with ROMs like CM. Personally, I've preferred sticking with stock on my Nexuses until Google ends support, at which point I move to CM so I can keep getting security and feature updates, but it's nice to know I have options.
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

I have to disagree, I see Android as well ahead of WP and iOS in both features and capabilities. Some OEMs do a better implementation than others though.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by xchange View Post
    I have to disagree, I see Android as well ahead of WP and iOS in both features and capabilities. Some OEMs do a better implementation than others though.

In features and capabilities, definitely. In execution, no. It's not as smooth, the keyboard isn't as good, the OS isn't as polished. You often have to install replacement launchers and keyboards or install apps strictly to speed it up or shorten some animations at least. It's a strong foundation but takes a lot more work to make good when the other two are good out of the box but lack the features. In a more intelligent world, it's a good idea. Sadly, people are stupid.

I think Google Keyboard is much better than iOS's. The gesture typing is a big advantage over only being able to tap. And it always bugs me that on my wife's iPhone, the keys don't reflect whether it's currently lowercase or uppercase--they always display as uppercase. Google Now Launcher on the Nexus 5 is also smooth as silk.

Global Posts
    18,551 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

I have flashed a fair amount of custom ROMs across several devices. Skinned versions of Android are usually the worst to judge Android by. Since the discussion has involved TouchWiz (TW), I will go with that. Appearance is no where near Vanilla (some can argue whether that is good or bad) and at the same time, it is relatively bloated due to all the features. There is many debates on whether TW lags or not as opposed to stock Android.

Even running TW, there is still the option to install alternate apps, and most of the time, you can disable the TW counterparts. Don't like the stock Text app, there are dozens, if not hundreds to choose from.

As for CM: yes they are an option, but I have found it is much better to wait for another custom ROM as opposed to going with CM. But again, the beauty of Android. You can flash a custom ROM. You can even install a different OS like Sailfish over Android.

Other skins are getting better. I used to hate Sense with a passion. I have an M8 with Sense 6 as my daily driver. I still don't really care for Snese, but I will agree that it has come a long way, and if I had to choose a skinned version of Android, it would actually be Sense.

I agree with B. Diddy on the idea that there is now both Google Keyboard and a Google launcher, there are at least some more choices.

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
    B. Diddy likes this.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by B. Diddy View Post
    I think Google Keyboard is much better than iOS's. The gesture typing is a big advantage over only being able to tap. And it always bugs me that on my wife's iPhone, the keys don't reflect whether it's currently lowercase or uppercase--they always display as uppercase. Google Now Launcher on the Nexus 5 is also smooth as silk.
    Certainly debatable with the keyboard on iOS though the latency issues are pretty awful and the predictive text somehow manages to be worse than Apple's...

Golfdriver, I can't tell whether or not you're agreeing...

I actually don't notice any latency with Google Keyboard. Do you mean latency time between swiping a word and when it appears?

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.

Global Posts
    18,551 Global Posts
    ROM
    Liquidsmooth ROM

Quote Originally Posted by z33dev33l View Post
    Certainly debatable with the keyboard on iOS though the latency issues are pretty awful and the predictive text somehow manages to be worse than Apple's...

Golfdriver, I can't tell whether or not you're agreeing...
    Just giving my own viewpoint.

From an SOKP Nexus 5

Phone Timeline
    'If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change.' - Mahatma Gandhi
    Community Guidelines and also here
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Use it just typing. It becomes more apparent. It won't be as recognizable when shapewriting.

But the thing is, I rarely tap, since I find the gesture typing so much better and faster.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

But the thing is, I rarely tap, since I find the gesture typing so much better and faster.
    It's predictions are still pretty awful in comparison to Windows Phone in that regard.

I don't really use the next word prediction, but I'll take your word on it.

Posted via Android Central App--please excuse the brevity and any typos!

In features and capabilities, definitely. In execution, no. It's not as smooth, the keyboard isn't as good, the OS isn't as polished. You often have to install replacement launchers and keyboards or install apps strictly to speed it up or shorten some animations at least. It's a strong foundation but takes a lot more work to make good when the other two are good out of the box but lack the features. In a more intelligent world, it's a good idea. Sadly, people are stupid.
    Not the case with the nexus

Posted via Android Central App

Agree

B. Diddy likes this.
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

Quote Originally Posted by rrballer11 View Post
    Agree

Everyone likes to say the Nexus 5 is smooth but when compared to an OS like Windows Phone it's not, at all.

Everyone likes to say the Nexus 5 is smooth but when compared to an OS like Windows Phone it's not, at all.
    How so? Can you show us any head to head comparisons of the Nexus 5 and a comparable WP device that shows how much smoother the latter is? I'm not trying to be defensive or confrontational here--I'm really curious if there is a comparison out there that clearly shows one superior to the other. I like to say the Nexus 5 has smooth performance because that's how it is for me. I experience no lag. Apps open quickly, and I can switch between apps quickly and easily. Apps download and update quickly. I've never experienced a random reboot. My wife has an iPhone 4S, which is positively clunky by comparison (although granted, it is an older device).
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

How so? Can you show us any head to head comparisons of the Nexus 5 and a comparable WP device that shows how much smoother the latter is? I'm not trying to be defensive or confrontational here--I'm really curious if there is a comparison out there that clearly shows one superior to the other. I like to say the Nexus 5 has smooth performance because that's how it is for me. I experience no lag. Apps open quickly, and I can switch between apps quickly and easily. Apps download and update quickly. I've never experienced a random reboot. My wife has an iPhone 4S, which is positively clunky by comparison (although granted, it is an older device).
    I do wish that a proper comparison video was available. Perhaps I'll do so when I go up to Austin next month as my brother has a Nexus 5. Text scrolling has been painful on it as has been scrolling from one screen to the next. I had it for three weeks or so before he had it and it annoyed me. I do try to go back to Android on occasion but it chases me away even quicker most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by zorak950 View Post
    Android's flexibility has always been one of its biggest selling points. Different people have different needs and preferences, and with Android almost every function can be accessed with the app that best meets those preferences and needs. Ditto with ROMs like CM. Personally, I've preferred sticking with stock on my Nexuses until Google ends support, at which point I move to CM so I can keep getting security and feature updates, but it's nice to know I have options.
    100% agree!!

Posted from Google Nexus 5
    My History of Phones.
    2007 - 2011 iPhone 2G 3G 3GS 4G
    2012 - 2013 Samsung Galaxy S3 S4
    2014 - Google Nexus 5

I do wish that a proper comparison video was available. Perhaps I'll do so when I go up to Austin next month as my brother has a Nexus 5. Text scrolling has been painful on it as has been scrolling from one screen to the next. I had it for three weeks or so before he had it and it annoyed me. I do try to go back to Android on occasion but it chases me away even quicker most of the time.
    You mean scrolling text in Chrome? Or in other apps? And when you say scrolling from one screen to the next, are you talking about homescreens? Just trying to pinpoint your issues to see if it could have been something more related to apps rather than the Android OS or the Nexus 5 itself.

21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

You mean scrolling text in Chrome? Or in other apps? And when you say scrolling from one screen to the next, are you talking about homescreens? Just trying to pinpoint your issues to see if it could have been something more related to apps rather than the Android OS or the Nexus 5 itself.

You're correct in both instances. For the record, prior to using Windows Phone, I could not see the lag in Android. It wasn't until I tried returning that how laggy and unintuitive it is became readily apparent.
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

The keyboard on my last 2 years worth of android phones has been as good as if not better than WP or iOS so I still disagree. I also haven't felt the need for a 3rd party launcher in over a year now.

I get the strong impression that your mileage comes from a point of view of certain brands who's software implementation isn't all that great, in which case that's easily solved by switching android brands to ones with a better reputation for finesse in their android skins, or forks or whatever term you prefer.

Lag? No more so on my devices than on an iPhone or WP. Again, choose a better brand that has better software optimization. And I do have experience with other OS`s and I personally have detected some lag on those as well.
    Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

The keyboard on my last 2 years worth of android phones has been as good as if not better than WP or iOS so I still disagree. I also haven't felt the need for a 3rd party launcher in over a year now.

I get the strong impression that your mileage comes from a point of view of certain brands who's software implementation isn't all that great, in which case that's easily solved by switching android brands to ones with a better reputation for finesse in their android skins, or forks or whatever term you prefer.

Lag? No more so on my devices than on an iPhone or WP. Again, choose a better brand that has better software optimization. And I do have experience with other OS`s and I personally have detected some lag on those as well.
    Any suggestions better than the LG G2, Nexus 5, M8 or Galaxy S4? I'd definitely like to see that keyboard test though considering the Wordflow keyboard beat out every other keyboard ever created in speed and usability. It even trumped the previous record by a full two seconds and does so repeatedly.
    Banned

Global Posts
    478 Global Posts

I personally find the Xperia, moto and HTC phones the best on the software side. I'm not really interested in debating keyboard performance to be honest. Even if I were to accept that one test method was the final authority, a couple seconds isn't worth my notice.

The heart of the matter is OS capabilities and performance. WP is still struggling to catch up to Android from 2 years ago in that regard. I also never found it intuitive out of the box. Reference that sticky thread "things WP needs to improve " over at wpc for details

Thanked by:
    A895 
    A895 likes this.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

I personally find the Xperia, moto and HTC phones the best on the software side. I'm not really interested in debating keyboard performance to be honest. Even if I were to accept that one test method was the final authority, a couple seconds isn't worth my notice.

The heart of the matter is OS capabilities and performance. WP is still struggling to catch up to Android from 2 years ago in that regard. I also never found it intuitive out of the box. Reference that sticky thread "things WP needs to improve " over at wpc for details

How is WP struggling to catch up to Android in terms of performance? In terms of capabilities, Android wins every time but WP8 blows both Android and iOS out of the water in general performance. What makes it great is that it's not following suit with everyone else. It's an OS that differentiates unlike pretty much every other OS. iOS took from Symbian, Android was an amalgamation of iOS and Windows Mobile with an open source foundation, every OS has done just that. Windows, to me, is the first to set itself apart.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast