Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bigbam51
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: One Month Later

Now that both have been out for over a month we'd like to hear what you have to say. Good, bad, horrible or awesome this is the place to say it !

Camera sucks? Great, give us some facts to back it up.

Don't like the new Touchwiz... Tell us about it and it better be more than its " cartoon-ish"..

M8 is one slippy sucker to hold onto.. Well we love to hear what you have done with regards to cases, skins, etc to keep it firmly gripped in your hand.

Lag.. hehe, should we even go here? Sure why not but lets be fair and give some solid comments and not turn it into a troll fest

Last but not least, thanks to CannedBullets for suggesting this thread topic!
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

I am the Tegra Champ. What this means is that from time to time NVIDIA might send me new products to try out. This will not affect my thoughts, ideas, or opinions about any product that are discussed in the forums. Those are still my own.

Default Re: HTC One M8 vs Samsung Galaxy S5: One Month Later

I Have had my htc one m8 for about 2 weeks now and im running straight talk services and I could not be happier. Camera is awesome with awesome features. SOUND is the best I've ever heard coming from a phone. Clear,Crisp and LOOOOOUUUDD. This phone is super super fast and with the 128 gig capability the sky is the limit. I have not tested a s5 yet but if I had to choose again I would choose the M8 a thousand more times.
    Thanked by:
    HeroicLove likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,178 Global Posts

Had the M8 for almost a month and test drove the GS5 for three days. You couldn't pay me to take another Galaxy device. They're still the same toys they've always been. Scrolling through walls of text offered a distinct latency and the audio quality in call sounded like I was talking through a sheet of paper.

The M8 on the other hand was a good device, I feel like they fixed most of the issues that the original One had and did so well. The camera was still pretty subpar and low light shots were almost laughable but I was shocked by the fact that I could play music on it in my kitchen and hear it in my bedroom. Definitely loud. Do not buy it without getting a case though. I'm not one for aluminum phones so I didn't keep it but it wasn't a bad phone.

I've had the M8 for a few weeks now, I am definitely glad I picked it over the S5. Sense is smooth and refined compared to Touchwiz. The phone is slippery so it would be a good idea to have a case. The camera is good at focusing but a higher megapixel camera would be nice, it would probably be the best phone camera out there if it had a higher megapixel count. The battery life is also better then I expected. It can definitely get me through the day.
    I'm gonna get flak but I'd rather have Sense over Stock Android for my daily driver.

I love my M8. I had a hard time deciding between the M8 and the S5, but I am very happy with my decision. I had an S3 previously and that helped me decide between the two I think.

The S5 felt cheaper than the S3 and I disliked that very much, probably what kept me from buying the phone the most. Buttons felt cheap and so did the phone overall. The M8 on the other hand is very nice and feels very well made. I love the metal and the weight to the phone. Even though I have a dot case covering it up, I love the feel of the case and I think it feels almost identical to the metal. The dot case is wicked awesome, look into it.

The TouchWiz software with the S5 is probably not much of an upgrade if not worse than that of the TouchWiz on the S3, probably more unneeded bloatware in fact. I am tired of the same old UI with TouchWiz to be honest, and I am much happier with Sense 6. I was looking for a simple android system like with the Nexus 5, and I think I found that with the M8. Software is super zippy and does not have any lag to it all.

I had a lot of worry about the M8's camera not being effective enough, but I am happy with it. Zoom feature on the phone is lacking, but I just get closer to what I want to take a picture of if that is the case. The Zoe feature with the phone is nice, but the quick shutter makes it unneeded in my opinion. The camera takes good pictures at face value, but when zooming in it does get a little blurry, but nothing I can't deal with. When bringing the pictures over to the computer they are large enough with enough detail to be satisfying.

Battery life seems very good and has made it everyday with around 30% juice left before getting back on the charger. Normal days for this phone is from 9am to 12am and I am impressed with its lifespan.

I really like the front speakers and to be honest I do not see how I lived without them. This phone also has a built in FM radio antenna which is a great feature. I do not have to use data when listening to music anymore. Speaking of antennas, I read that since the phone has a metal case that it would get worse reception, however I have found that not to be the case. The antenna gets better reception than my S3 did.

I would buy this phone again, even over the upcoming G3 I think

Quote Originally Posted by Davileet View Post
    I love my M8. I had a hard time deciding between the M8 and the S5, but I am very happy with my decision. I had an S3 previously and that helped me decide between the two I think.

The S5 felt cheaper than the S3 and I disliked that very much, probably what kept me from buying the phone the most. Buttons felt cheap and so did the phone overall. The M8 on the other hand is very nice and feels very well made. I love the metal and the weight to the phone. Even though I have a dot case covering it up, I love the feel of the case and I think it feels almost identical to the metal. The dot case is wicked awesome, look into it.

The TouchWiz software with the S5 is probably not much of an upgrade if not worse than that of the TouchWiz on the S3, probably more unneeded bloatware in fact. I am tired of the same old UI with TouchWiz to be honest, and I am much happier with Sense 6. I was looking for a simple android system like with the Nexus 5, and I think I found that with the M8. Software is super zippy and does not have any lag to it all.

I had a lot of worry about the M8's camera not being effective enough, but I am happy with it. Zoom feature on the phone is lacking, but I just get closer to what I want to take a picture of if that is the case. The Zoe feature with the phone is nice, but the quick shutter makes it unneeded in my opinion. The camera takes good pictures at face value, but when zooming in it does get a little blurry, but nothing I can't deal with. When bringing the pictures over to the computer they are large enough with enough detail to be satisfying.

Battery life seems very good and has made it everyday with around 30% juice left before getting back on the charger. Normal days for this phone is from 9am to 12am and I am impressed with its lifespan.

I really like the front speakers and to be honest I do not see how I lived without them. This phone also has a built in FM radio antenna which is a great feature. I do not have to use data when listening to music anymore. Speaking of antennas, I read that since the phone has a metal case that it would get worse reception, however I have found that not to be the case. The antenna gets better reception than my S3 did.

I would buy this phone again, even over the upcoming G3 I think
    This is good to know. I like you have a S3 and due for a upgrade in July M8 and G3 and maybe dare I say iPhone are my top 3 at the moment.