Majority of Android phones are not "junk" phones

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Since Project Butter touching the screen ramps CPU up to increase UI responsiveness.

That has nothing to do with the amount of RAM.

Also, memory equals RAM, not storage.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Yes, it also upped the hardware specs considerably. Project Svelte, introduced in Kit Kat is the one that made Android usable on low end handsets. It's still highly based on what you have in the background though as Android, as you stated in another thread, utilizes true multitasking. There are still several games that will send you back to feeling like you're using Cupcake.

The fact of the matter is, prior to the Moto G, the handsets one could afford for under $210 were limited at best. That's what made the Moto G such a big deal for Android user. It was functional and low end. Since then, there's been a very minor dip into the water in that regard but most of the $210 handsets out there in Android aren't going to run so well as they'd have to be hardware optimized for Kit Kat, the newest iteration of Android with comparably light adoption thusfar.

I believe this statement talks about Project Svelte best.

"The first thing that I was working on was Project Butter to make the system smoother," explained Google Head of Engineering Dave Burke in an interview with ReadWrite. "The thing is, butter puts on weight. So then I did Project Svelte to lose weight. So now my contribution to Android is basically zero."

The way they ultimately did this is by giving the developers access to procstats which gave developers deeper access to their apps CPU usage and by stripping Google Play services from the OS and making them standalone apps instead because one of the most RAM-hungry parts of the OS was the Google Play services.

It's improvement, they are making leaps and strides forward but they're still working on it. Kit Kat was built to work on a 1.4 GHz dual core processor with a qHD screen and 512 megabytes of RAM and any less in any of those regards, you'll still encounter issues. Also, add apps that haven't been modified to adhere to procstats or generally heavy apps, you'll still get a bad experience.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it also upped the hardware specs considerably. Project Svelte, introduced in Kit Kat is the one that made Android usable on low end handsets. It's still highly based on what you have in the background though as Android, as you stated in another thread, utilizes true multitasking. There are still several games that will send you back to feeling like you're using Cupcake.

The fact of the matter is, prior to the Moto G, the handsets one could afford for under $210 were limited at best. That's what made the Moto G such a big deal for Android user. It was functional and low end. Since then, there's been a very minor dip into the water in that regard but most of the $210 handsets out there in Android aren't going to run so well as they'd have to be hardware optimized for Kit Kat, the newest iteration of Android with comparably light adoption thusfar.

I believe this statement talks about Project Svelte best.

The way they ultimately did this is by giving the developers access to procstats which gave developers deeper access to their apps CPU usage and by stripping Google Play services from the OS and making them standalone apps instead because one of the most RAM-hungry parts of the OS was the Google Play services.

It's improvement, they are making leaps and strides forward but they're still working on it. Kit Kat was built to work on a 1.4 GHz dual core processor with a qHD screen and 512 megabytes of RAM and any less in any of those regards, you'll still encounter issues. Also, add apps that haven't been modified to adhere to procstats or generally heavy apps, you'll still get a bad experience.

And all of that means better performance on devices that have KitKat low or high end. In the end consumers will barely notice the difference really. We talk about how fast things feel on the web but in real life, the changes are minimal to the average consumer.

Posted via Android Central App

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
And all of that means better performance on devices that have KitKat low or high end. In the end consumers will barely notice the difference really. We talk about how fast things feel on the web but in real life, the changes are minimal to the average consumer.

Lag is something that most everyone notices regardless of your walk of life and is something you won't find on other OSes due to the way they manage memory. Either way, that helps all of two percent of Android users as per the chart posted earlier and even then, it does little to help when a skin like Touchwiz is lobbed over Android lessening that number even more.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't surprise me that it is coming from a site called "AppleInsider"

Yeah... let's crap on a large consumer base that might not have the means, or the desire, to spend upwards of $700 on a phone. Pfffff.. losers.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

Yeah... let's crap on a large consumer base that might not have the means, or the desire, to spend upwards of $700 on a phone. Pfffff.. losers.

Their use of the word, "Junk" was mostly uncalled for but not entirely untrue.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Lag is something that most everyone notices regardless of your walk of life and is something you won't find on other OSes due to the way they manage memory.
Yeah, um...found these just now via a casual search.

Nevertheless, for a phone whose legacy includes the 41-megapixel Lumia 1020, the Icon suffers one flaw that should give you pause: noticeable shutter lag of more than a second from the phone’s 20-megapixel sensor.

Nokia Lumia Icon review: The best Windows Phone so far | PCWorld
Anyway, the reason im posting is i notice a very very slight stutter or lag when using the phone. You know when you press a tile and it swings to the left i notice it mainly then it sort of stops half way for a split second then carrys on.

Slight stutter or lag - Windows Phone Central Forums
My 920 and friend's 1520 lag on the start screen animation. ... I often see lags, the battery has become dreadful and inconsistent and the experience is entirely random in many aspects including multi-tasking like how SMS windows open a new 'app' each time you reopen the thread. ... I thought it's just my old 920 feeling its age and struggling to keep up with the new features, but the lag is happening on my friend's 1520 too. What the hell? What's the point of beautiful animations if they lag?

https://www.reddit.com/r/windowspho...ght_can_we_admit_that_windows_phone_lost_the/
After generating and testing my app after the recent Windows Phone App Studio update there is a noticeable lag when swiping from left or right and the minimized app bar is either displayed or taken away.

Lag when displaying app bar after latest Windows Phone App Studio update.

I can find plenty more. All OS's have examples of lag. I can find plenty for iOS as well. The measure I use are actual examples I can see. In that iPhone 5S vs Nexus 5 video I saw no lag on either device.

Last edited:

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

I have been posting on that thread since yesterday. Boy, do they NOT like criticism of Apple. I fully expect to be banned soon on there, despite not name calling or using bad language. Though I have been called all kinds of names already. They tend not to tolerate opposing ideas. It really is a religion to them.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Lag is something that most everyone notices regardless of your walk of life and is something you won't find on other OSes due to the way they manage memory. Either way, that helps all of two percent of Android users as per the chart posted earlier and even then, it does little to help when a skin like Touchwiz is lobbed over Android lessening that number even more.

KitKat is at 8% total. Where you getting your numbers from?

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, um...found these just now via a casual search.

Did you just pick the first 5 links from Google?

1. Shutter lag and lag are two very different things. When you're processing a 41 or even 20 megapixel camera, it takes a moment.after the fact to do so.

2. The only viable example here, this was a known issue with the camera app not playing well with the 920. It was fixed in the first update.

3. They are using a developer preview. This has no hardware optimization from the OEM, it's just bare bones.

4. The fourth is a desktop OS.

5. That pertains to the developer studio and the misuse of an API, not the OS by any means.

I can find plenty more. All OS's have examples of lag. I can find plenty for iOS as well. The measure I use are actual examples I can see. In that iPhone 5S vs Nexus 5 video I saw no lag on either device.

and for every Windows Phone one you can find (Without looking into the results) I can find 1000 applicable Android ones.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As stated above, Kit Kat was the one that resolved most of the lag issues, not Jellybean. Project Butter only resolved lag on the high end and made the middle-low end worse. Google's head-engineer said it himself (Quote above).

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Did you just pick the first 5 links from Google?

1. Shutter lag and lag are two very different things. When you're processing a 41 or even 20 megapixel camera, it takes a moment.after the fact to do so.
Oh, I totally apologize. I had not considered that WP might suffer from more than one type of lag. I will be more careful in the future.

2. The only viable example here, this was a known issue with the camera app not playing well with the 920. It was fixed in the first update.
Why was there anything to Fix? Didn't you just say WP did not suffer from lag? I don't recall you saying "there is no lag after they fix the bug causing lag". What you seem to be saying is that only Windows Phone 8 (not 8.1, not 7, not 7.5) has no lag, and that is only because of fixed bugs.

It was hard to find example because most of the results that came back were things like "Windows phone sales lagging" or "Windows continues to lag behind Android" or "Windows Phone marketshare continues to lag". I should have been more careful selecting the links.

The point of those quote is to demonstrate that WP is not as lag free as you'd have us believe.

Poll: WHICH WP8 DEVICE DO YOU OWN THAT EXPERIENCES ANIMATION LAG?

Do you notice animation lag on your phone? - Windows Phone Central Forums

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Their use of the word, "Junk" was mostly uncalled for but not entirely untrue.

Well... sure.... when you get on the low end, you'll have quite a few phones that are pretty much POS.... but that happens. And the solution is not to only give consumers a single, overpriced choice, then spit on them when they can't or don't want to bite.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It is more lag-free than iOS or Android.
And more feature free as well.

In particular they describe the Android notification system as fast and intuitive, and the WP version as messy. They describe google now as far superior to the Bing experience on WP. When you see him navigating on the home screen (6:10), the Nexus is clearly faster (and can be made faster still if you use a custom launcher).

Are you seeing any lag on the Nexus in that video?

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
And more feature free as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6z8xQMgjok
In particular they describe the Android notification system as fast and intuitive, and the WP version as messy. They describe google now as far superior to the Bing experience on WP. When you see him navigating on the home screen (6:10), the Nexus is clearly faster (and can be made faster still if you use a custom launcher).

Are you seeing any lag on the Nexus in that video?

It is more feature-free, but it is still the smoothest and most lag-free of the OS's. The Nexus is only one Android phone, and even the newest Galaxy has lag. From low-end to high-end, the WP phones are pretty consistent with no lag.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
It is more feature-free, but it is still the smoothest and most lag-free of the OS's. The Nexus is only one Android phone
...that is cheap and fast.

The point being, it is not a problem with the OS. You can't say "omg Android lags" when a cheap Android phone obviously does not lag. The problem is obviously not Android.

and even the newest Galaxy has lag.
Not from Android it doesn't.

The Nexus is half the price of that phone.

From low-end to high-end, the WP phones are pretty consistent with no lag.
well, the linked conversations I posted earlier seem to say different.