I find this odd.

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
So I just switched from a BB to a Android phone. Yay, happy!
Then I noticed something really odd about the phone world.

We have Android and apple fans, Samsung and HTC fans, even Nokia fans.
All is well in the world right?

Samsung is toting that they have an all new feature to have wireless charging, and we all stand around saying how cool it is, we talk about it and can't wait!(neither can I really)

We talk about how HTC has a section of the phone where all your messages and social media stuff goes, we say it's ingenious.

We talk about how Android is the most open platform..Which is true to an extent.

We talk about how HTC m8 and Samsung S5 get amazing battery life and that it's so cool to be able to operate for so long.
We also go on about how HTC has the best speakers.

Funny enough, BlackBerry Z30 has had wireless charging for over a year.
Created what is known as "the hub" where all your stuff hops over to one scroll able section.
You can load apps onto BB from Google play, and unless it's a google app, it runs fine(I.E netflix, Instagram ect.) So that unofficially makes the BB the more open source.
BB's still have the longer natural battery life.
The speakers on Z30 is rated fairly high.

So I'm not trying to talk down on any platform(I'm actually a swing user, I gravitate to who ever gives more value for money), I'm just honestly trying to know....How is BB making all the stuff that other companies use, and why do we find it so genius when it comes to OUR device, but over look it for over a year on another?

Again, I'm not trolling, so lets keep the flaming down and have a normal discussion about this? :) I honestly want to know what makes BB's so horrible in everyone's eyes, when they are doing things before anyone else. And do the same exact things to boot!

zorak950

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 4 has wireless charging, and that came out a year and a half ago. Wireless charging has been around in some form or another for far longer than that. The reason people get excited is that they get access to a cool feature from their platform/manufacturer/device of choice. Almost nobody is picking their device because it has feature X, Y, or Z, they're picking it because of much broader considerations. Those features are a bonus. In other words, most people pick their platform because they like the platform, not because it has wireless charging or a fingerprint reader or an infrared transmitter or whatever is the vogue feature of the year.

Vsweety

Banned
Mar 24, 2014
Visit site
I honestly want to know what makes BB's so horrible in everyone's eyes, when they are doing things before anyone else. And do the same exact things to boot!

What makes BB's so horrible in everyone's eyes? 3 reasons:
1) They do other 'things' that the market decidedly doesn't like, like e.g. they cling to physical keyboards far too long so that their screens are too small;
2) Their marketing sucks;
3) Their PR sucks.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
?Samsung is toting that they have an all new feature

It's a common marketing tactic... In general, people stick to their brand. So when said brand introduces a new feature, they might try to frame it as a revolutionary new feature. Samsung and Apple, in particular, use this quite a lot since they are the top two brands in loyalty...

So you end up with users peacocking around, bragging about feature x when it's been around for quite a bit... Yet they have no idea

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Wireless charging did not begin with the Z30. I had it on my Nexus 4.
The Hub, while unique, does not provide any service you don't get on other platforms, its just a different way to get to your communications.
Not all Android apps work on BB10 as you pointed put so its not an advantage, its a work around.
I like where BB10 is going. It has a huge uphill climb against giants to grow to any significance.

Posted via Android Central App

itr themes

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
2) Their marketing sucks;

I think this is the number one reason BB has found itself in the state it is right now. I too was a long time BB enthusiast, still am a little bit I guess. But when Apple, and Samsung to a lesser extent, started telling people that their product was the best thing out there, BlackBerry (RIM at the time) sat on their hands and did nothing to say otherwise. A couple of less than stellar phones around the same time didn't help either. I could go on about the fall of BlackBerry, but it's too depressing lol. The damage is done (threads like this are proof of that), and unfortunately companies like Apple, Samsung, LG etc. have too much of a stronghold on the cell phone market for BB to make a legit comeback.

LightaDroid

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
I use to like BB back before the iPhone and touch screens came out.. But like vsweety said. They stayed with the keyboard to long and lost all of their fan base. As times moved forward BB didn't. Now they are fighting for some of the pie and still can't keep up.

Posted from Google Nexus 5

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Samsung had wireless charging with the S4 - before the Z30. As other also pointed out the Nexus 4 had wireless charging even earlier. As for BB, they have an uphill climb trying to reinvent themselves. Hard for them to overcome the arrogance and disdain their old leadership showed toward modern smartphones. Then coming very late to the party with a new os. There big salvation for years was their MDM software run in so many companies data centers. Now there are many really good MDM options and many companies have shut down their old BB servers.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Blackberry has several things wrong:

Apps from their own store lack in quality and quantity

The apps you can download are free Android apps, but god help you if the app needs Google Services to work. Not to mention paid apps can't be had as well.

Blackberry couldn't get it's latest handset on all 4 carriers. It's a Verizon exclusive.

They have no marketing.

They have lost T-Mobile as a carrier. The 4th largest carrier in one of the richest countries on the planet is gone!

Carrier reps will not push anyone on one of their device because they don't know about it (Blackberry's fault for not working with carriers) or they don't care for it.

Blackberry refuses to lower their prices and keeps pricing their devices like they will sell like that. They can't afford to keep raking losses.

They could have least kept up to date specs in their device but no they didn't.

Their fanbase makes it worse for them. The main reason (IMO) they lost T-Mobile is 1.)Fans got mad because T-Mobile ran that promotion offering blackberry owners to upgrade to iPhones 2.)Blackberry responded to T-Mobile 3.)T-Mobile does another promotion offering blackberry users to upgrade to any device 4.)A rough number of 90% of people who took advantage of the promotion got a competing OS device. 5.) Fans got mad AGAIN 6.)Blackberry (Chen) thinks they can be a boss and drop T-Mobile 7.) T-Mobile loses less than 1% of their user base so they don't care, but Blackberry will be hurt if they have another device to bring to the states carriers again and can't have the 4th largest.

Blackberry management is plagued with mismanagement and I doubt they will pull out of their spiral now.

I am not flaming, I am speaking what I have seen and they are up creek without a paddle.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
So I just switched from a BB to a Android phone. Yay, happy!
Then I noticed something really odd about the phone world.

We have Android and apple fans, Samsung and HTC fans, even Nokia fans.
All is well in the world right?

Samsung is toting that they have an all new feature to have wireless charging, and we all stand around saying how cool it is, we talk about it and can't wait!(neither can I really)

We talk about how HTC has a section of the phone where all your messages and social media stuff goes, we say it's ingenious.

We talk about how Android is the most open platform..Which is true to an extent.

We talk about how HTC m8 and Samsung S5 get amazing battery life and that it's so cool to be able to operate for so long.
We also go on about how HTC has the best speakers.

Funny enough, BlackBerry Z30 has had wireless charging for over a year.
Nexus 4 had it in 2012.

"Android beats the competition to wireless charging with Nexus 4"
http://venturebeat.com/2012/10/29/wireless-charging-nexus-4/

BB's still have the longer natural battery life.
Which is to be expected from a phone that does less.

Also...what is "natural"? The smartphones with the most stock battery life on the market are not BB devices.

So I'm not trying to talk down on any platform(I'm actually a swing user, I gravitate to who ever gives more value for money), I'm just honestly trying to know....How is BB making all the stuff that other companies use, and why do we find it so genius when it comes to OUR device, but over look it for over a year on another?
Because Android does the same stuff Blackberry does, but sooner and with fewer compromises on other features. Thats not sarcasm. Thats the real answer. Android phones do not have to adapt non-native markets to get apps and pray they work...they already have their own app store (actually more than one if you count 3rd parties like Amazon). There is nothing BB offers that Android cannot already do, but the reverse is not true.

The reason everyone takes such delight in trash talking BB is because BB was warned, years ago, that they were falling behind in functionality and features. BB's arrogance is what led to their current state. They took their users for granted.

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
I'm glad this could come to a normal discussion and not just a complete bash and flame thread.

I can see your reasons, pretty clearly, I LOVE BB, the phones are solid, OS is solid, etc etc.
However, You're right about side loading as being a "walk around"...But why should I pay the same price of an s5 for a walk around, when I can get the S5 and have what I want. I mean, I'm no social media ***** but I can't even get instagram on BB.

What do you all think BB can do to make a comeback kind of like what WP is doing? Don't hate on WP, because if the market didn't suck, it would actually be quite the OS to contend with.

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
TBH, I'm thinking of going back to my BB until the LG G3 is released, it looks like it would be quite the contender for phone of the year...That is if they fix the stupid button placement.

Edit****
Buttons still in the same stupid place, but one heck of a looker 0.0 *drools. Looks very VERY similar to the HTC one M8

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Unless BlackBerry themselves make an effort, the hole will only get deeper. And if they had good first party official apps (same problem as WP), then that would be an extra plus. But they act like they don't care and Microsoft does WP half heartily.

That's why I can't see myself to spend my own money on either right now. Why would I give my money to companies who act like they don't care?

For now, Motorola gets my money for phones as they care.

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site
Unless BlackBerry themselves make an effort, the hole will only get deeper. And if they had good first party official apps (same problem as WP), then that would be an extra plus. But they act like they don't care and Microsoft does WP half heartily.

That's why I can't see myself to spend my own money on either right now. Why would I give my money to companies who act like they don't care?

For now, Motorola gets my money for phones as they care.

Good point. And Motorola is made in the U.S, which is great, only problem I find with them is that many of my friends who have a Moto, typically complain about lag after a while.
That and other brands seem to have better hardware/specs that motorola, then again, I'm just coming back to the Android world, so i'm trying to gather as much info on the different phones as possible.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Good point. And Motorola is made in the U.S, which is great, only problem I find with them is that many of my friends who have a Moto, typically complain about lag after a while.
That and other brands seem to have better hardware/specs that motorola, then again, I'm just coming back to the Android world, so i'm trying to gather as much info on the different phones as possible.

The Moto X/G/E, Droid Maxx and the Droid Mini are the best phones to come out of Motorola. Specs don't matter when it comes to Motorola devices because they do optimization like no other Android manufacturer. Your friends must have some older models, the newer models are from a new Motorola direction.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
TBH, I'm thinking of going back to my BB until the LG G3 is released, it looks like it would be quite the contender for phone of the year...That is if they fix the stupid button placement.
I guess I am still not clear on what exactly BB can provide that Android does not already have. WP is the same thing to me...they are both superfluous in this market.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess I am still not clear on what exactly BB can provide that Android does not already have. WP is the same thing to me...they are both superfluous in this market.

I try to find a reason to get a WP but besides them having an Xbox Video app (I own several movies on Xbox Video) they have no real exclusives to make me jump.

Adrian Aghaie

May 19, 2014
Visit site

Aside from the keyboard, the phone is just solid.
They call quality is great, emailing is great, I can work on my HW while on the go. The battery last for ever.

But I'll be going back to Android anyways, That LG looks too good to pass up.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I try to find a reason to get a WP but besides them having an Xbox Video app (I own several movies on Xbox Video) they have no real exclusives to make me jump.

One of my biggest problems with the WP is the lack of a complete ecosystem for their devices. They have 3 different mobile app OS environments. They have WP, RT & the Surface Pro (Windows and Metro). I have both an original RT tablet and a SPro. I bought them last summer at two different MS Conferences. The RTs were $99 for the 64gb version with keyboard and the 128gb Pro was $399. I figured the worst that could happen was I would sell them and get a little profit. I ended up buying two RTs and sold one pretty much getting the Pro for free.

I have to say having owned these now for a year, I still don't get why MS built the RT and I feel really sorry for the few people who actually paid $700+ for these devices (few apps, weird desktop mode and low res screen for the price). The Pro is better, great for when I don't want to carry around my laptop. Pretty fast i5 machine, but as a tablet it leaves a lot to be desired. Heavy and thick (for a tablet) and Windows is really clunky as a touch OS. The bigger problem is the lack of of a compatibility of the apps. If the WP & RT ran the same apps and Metro could run the apps, MS would have a pretty compelling system. One of the reasons I like Android (iOS is similar) is the ability to have a similar app structure on my phone and tablets. Our family is pretty much Android (phones and tablets) and works great. I know MS has a stated goal to move to this model, but they have wasted a lot of effort with RT when they should have just used that effort to upscale the WP OS for tablets.

MS is making ground on the WP, one key reason are their lower cost devices. It will be interesting to see if this momentum keeps up with both Motorola & Samsung aggressively going after this market. I know BB is trying this approach with the Z3, but a $199 device is still expensive compared to the sub $99 WP and $129 Android phones.

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Aside from the keyboard, the phone is just solid.
They call quality is great, emailing is great, I can work on my HW while on the go. The battery last for ever.

But I'll be going back to Android anyways, That LG looks too good to pass up.

I'm not seeing blackberry phones in lists of smartphones with highest battery life. Just sayin.
Smartphones with the Longest Battery Life - Laptop Mag
Which smartphone has the best battery life? - NY Daily News

The G2 seems to be one of the current champs for battery life. I expect the G3 will be even better.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary